Last rites for the SANFL...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Last rites for the SANFL...?

Post by danny del re on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 am

I am very worried about the future of our competition.
Recent events have seen the AFL move to shore up SA's poor cousin the PAFC.The PAFC have been a thorn in the side of the sanfl since 1991 when they attempted to join the AFL by stealth in a clandestine betrayal of the sanfl and its clubs. Since their involvement at AFL level they have been nothing more than a financial burden on the sanfl because of their poor profile and limited success .The sanfl is now in debt ,in many ways beacause it has granted the PAFC millions of dollars in the last few years to ensure their survival.The merger between the magpies and the Power was trumpeted as the move that would save the club and restore it to its past glory. Unfortunately the reverse has occured and the PAFC now need an injection of $5mill just to see out the end of the season.
Enter the AFL -Demetrio on a white stallion.... ensures their survival saying he will bankroll the PAFC until it reaches the completed Adelaide Oval development and a brand new ,more beneficial stadium deal.
So all will be right with the world then eh...?
It seems Mr Demetriou is a top fellow for leaping to the PAFC's defence doesnt it? after all he's been helping out the ailing Melbourne clubs for years.He needs a game on telly out of Adelaide everyweek to ensure the AFl complies with its billion dollar TV deal, which is more than likeley linked to his gigantic salary.
What will Mr Demetriou want in return for his generosity? He's always shown a penchant for whacking the sanfl whenever he can - in the past he has reduced funding to grassroots footy in this state, hes put pressure on the sanfl to reduce the salary cap etc. The sanfl currently holds the licenses for the Crows and Port, those licenses are up for grabs again shortly, do you believe that Mr Demetriou will say "carry on chaps, your doing a great job" or will he seize the opportunity to grab the licenses and keep them at AFL house in Melbourne.
A certain media hack, (who I'm sure is Demetrious' hand maiden), here in Adelaide believes, that would be a good thing, and also suggests reducing the sanfl cap again would be a terrific idea as well. Any such measures in my opinion would sound the death knell of the SANFL and reduce the competiton to something like the amateur league.This same intellectual genius believes that the Adelaide based AFL clubs should field reserves teams in the SANFL.Not sure how that would ever make a level playing field for the existing sanfl clubs, given the salaries of AFL listed players competing against sanfl clubs under reduced salary cap conditions. Plus dont underestimate the extra financial burden on the AFL clubs of fielding a second team every weekend.
It also seems this same journalist??? is also picking his way through the sanfl journalists and destroying them in print, he's already done a job on Glenelg and North , now it seems its Centrals turn. So look out Lucky!!!you may be next!!

Dark days indeed for the SANFL.
danny del re

Back to top Go down

Re: Last rites for the SANFL...?

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Our zone has the lowest percentage of eligble juniors playing Aussie Rules. With the AFL intent on chasing the short term dollar, no matter what the long term harm to grass roots footy, and the SANFL being distracted by their defence of SA Footy, they have taken their eyes of the ball.

For every footy team that has disappeared, 2 soccer teams have appeared. Newer suburbs don't mean new footy teams they mean new soccer teams.

I have even seen school footy ovals replaced by 2 soccer ovals.

The AFL is failing Australian Rules Football.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Re: Last rites for the SANFL...?

Post by Panther74 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Spiritof64 wrote:Our zone has the lowest percentage of eligble juniors playing Aussie Rules. With the AFL intent on chasing the short term dollar, no matter what the long term harm to grass roots footy, and the SANFL being distracted by their defence of SA Footy, they have taken their eyes of the ball.

For every footy team that has disappeared, 2 soccer teams have appeared. Newer suburbs don't mean new footy teams they mean new soccer teams.

I have even seen school footy ovals replaced by 2 soccer ovals.

The AFL is failing Australian Rules Football.

I think you can also add to this many schools now are combining school teams to make a footy side (3 or more schools together).

Times are changing and I have a real fear the SANFL is doomed thanks to the BIG boys in the AFL that want us dead and gone!!!

Sad days ahead I feel guys Sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum