Round 12 South v Norwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 12 South v Norwood

Post by Premier Panther on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Looking forward to this one.

A real opportunity to prove ourselves away from home against a genuine prem/finals contender.

We have no fear of the parade with some good results in recent years. The Legs are coming off a 5 day break, we should have the advantage in fresh legs with the bye last week. Whether Norwood want to admit it or not, they're probably due for a loss, having won 5 in a row.

We've beaten Norwood before with fierce tackling & pressure on their ball carriers & efficient ball use; Their midfield is strong, but so is ours; I've seen in the past when we've created a physical contest they resort to over possessing & becoming handball happy (This is when Norwood is at its most vulnerable); We also need to counteract their run from defense as McGuinness & Co have been successful setting up their attack from their defensive rebounds. Ronnie needs to prime our forwards in this area.

We generally have a good turn out of supporters at Coopers, hopefully this will lift the team.

There'd be nothing grander (oh except a premiership of course) than beating the grand old flag on their hallowed turf!

Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 12 South v Norwood

Post by panther magic on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 am

We have been pretty competetive at the parade in the past and I would really hope we can continue this!
Our away form bar round one has been pretty average thus far so we have to try and rectify this.
Our support at the parade has been pretty good too, so all south supporters that can should get down there and support their team!
Last monday i went down to the bay oval and saw how Norwood went about flicking the bays. Their big bodies in the midfield and rebounding defence were their key weapons. Also their ability to score goals in quick succession.
Our forward line will need to put enormous pressure on their defenders to not allow easy movement and so too the midfield.We must play accountable football.
High pressure, hard tackling and hard running, these attributes have to be on show on saturday otherwise we wont get the result we are after!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 am

Yep ,a tough one this week. We'll have to be right on the front foot in the midfield and apply serious pressure to Campbell and CO. We really have to stick some tackles and apply some serious pressure. If we can get enough of it I reckon we have the forwards in Wundke,Rolfe and co to put some real pressure on them.
Go Panthers.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm

F. VEIDE WUNDKE ROLFE
HF. LYONS COCKSHELL MACLEOD
C. CAREY DANIEL COOK
HB. STRIBLING TALIA CROSS
B. SANDERY CRABB THEWLIS
FOLL. BROOSKBY MURPHY LIDDLE
INT. LEONARD HORNE AINGER REDIGOLO PERREY
Into 23 – Adam Cockshell, Jake Veide, Tarak Redigolo, Michael Leonard, Curtis Perrey
Out – Shaun McKernan (Crows), Andy Otten (Crows), Emmanuel Irra (State)
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Gonna miss this one due to my brother's b'day (who is a South supporter, and who's missus is a Norwood supporter - go figure!).
Would be nice to turn around the 'post-bye-blues', but I aint so confident... having said that, on my own past for of confidence, the lack of normally ends up in a win...
Let's hope I don't regain it...
GO PANTHERS!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 am

Their back half dominated the last time we played them. Blokes like McGuiness racked up uncontested possie after uncontested possie.

Looking forward to this one.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:07 pm

How to describe the second half? Pick one of:

Woeful.
Weak as p*ss.
Embarassing.

The goal to Rodan from the ruck stoppage late in the game summed up the second half. Uncompetitive.

Sorry to be so negative..

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm

The first half was good contested footy by both sides, good use of the ball and attacking play put us in a bit behind at the break, but we were playing good enough to take it up to the second top team in the second half.
Then

we

had

a

big

break

at

half time.

What happened to the competitive play after that only a South supporter can fully understand.

Norwood ran riot in the third term, with loose players on every line, their sure hands cut us to pieces, they were stronger in every contest, rarely letting us to get our game into place, on the occasions that we started to get things together we just let ourselves down with poor disposal or sloppy handling the ball.

The last term was just a repeat of the third, whilst Norwood made us look absolutely amateurish the further the game progressed.

So, what to from here, the squad that represents us each week is nowhere near good enough to compete at SANFL level, the injuries that are keeping a couple of our better players sidelined is really hurting and contributing to our sub standard performances, and at least 3 players are not worthy of being among the top 23 players being selected to represent the club, still we can only play the best of what we have got.

The reserves put in a more competitive performance, although going down by a few goals, it was pleasing to see them perform as though they really wanted to win this game, however I cant really see to much pressure from within to oust those who are getting a run in the A's that don't deserve to be there.

So it was another 70 point plus defeat today, and there will be more of them to come before this season ends.

The last couple of days I have been saying to my Norwood mates that Norwood are at least one and a half goals a quarter better team than us, well I was wrong, on today's effort they are a three goals a quarter better team than we will ever be this year, and I cannot see us finishing further than two spots off the bottom by the time September gets here.

Might sound like being negative, but it's the truth, and that's what hurts the most. Mad
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Completely gutted after what I can only describe as a non-competitive second half; What happened after an encouraging first half? Our 3rd Quarters & form away from home, continue to be major concerns for our club & need addressing; Like all supporters, you try to be positive & upbeat about the remainder of the season, but performances such as today, quite honestly leave you feeling despair.

Guess there's always next week!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Premier Panther wrote:Completely gutted after what I can only describe as a non-competitive second half; What happened after an encouraging first half? Our 3rd Quarters & form away from home, continue to be major concerns for our club & need addressing; Like all supporters, you try to be positive & upbeat about the remainder of the season, but performances such as today, quite honestly leave you feeling despair.

Guess there's always next week!

Yes, there is always next week, and thats what will bring us back to Hickinbotham next Saturday when we take on the Eagles
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Took the trek to Norwood Oval.

Saw a very competitive South Adelaide side for the 1st half......then it went to total s**t after half time. I have no idea what was put in the gatorade but maybe a "sleeping tablet"???

Cringeworthy football to stand there and watch that today. Embarrassing skill errors, lack of contest to the ball and some very soft efforts.
If we are going to gain respect we talk about so much - it is a long way off.

I thought we took it right up to Norwood for the first half and I was very positive that we could come out and run them off their feet having the longer break - I was kidding myself.

Norwood - Rodan killed us. Pfeiffer, McGuniess great.

South - Stribling hard at it once again but he cant be doing it himself!!! Liddle tried. Thewlis OK........that was about it.

Short kicks in the back line and cute little football once again came to head. Mind you.....there was really nowhere to kick to in the back lines.

People say we have improved from last year......Im not 100% convinced. I looked at some players today in the hundle and did not see that fire in their eyes.......we need that fire in players eyes if we are going anywhere!!!

Lift your game South Adelaide!!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 am

Frigging hell. What happens at half time? We've improved talent no doubt but beginning to wonder if some curse on club. How can you turn that rubbish out.
God knows why but stayed to watch first quarter of 18s. Left when was 6 nil. Redlegs goaly hadn't made a save yet. Future looks grim.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 am

Our worst loss for many years and iám unable to find any reasons or excuses, i really believed we were passed performances like that. I just don't understand why or how a result like that against a side who had a limited bench and played only 5 days before could have our side who does have talent (we have all seen it this season) fail so badly in a half of a game that was clearly there for us to win. Someone at SAFC please explain to the supporters why.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by danny del re on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

darley16 wrote:Our worst loss for many years and iám unable to find any reasons or excuses, i really believed we were passed performances like that. I just don't understand why or how a result like that against a side who had a limited bench and played only 5 days before could have our side who does have talent (we have all seen it this season) fail so badly in a half of a game that was clearly there for us to win. Someone at SAFC please explain to the supporters why.

like to say there is light at the tunnell but when you see our U/18 side were defeated by 30 goals you have to wonder dont you?
danny del re

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 pm

danny del re wrote:
darley16 wrote:Our worst loss for many years and iám unable to find any reasons or excuses, i really believed we were passed performances like that. I just don't understand why or how a result like that against a side who had a limited bench and played only 5 days before could have our side who does have talent (we have all seen it this season) fail so badly in a half of a game that was clearly there for us to win. Someone at SAFC please explain to the supporters why.

like to say there is light at the tunnell but when you see our U/18 side were defeated by 30 goals you have to wonder dont you?

Agreed.....I would love to see a premiership before I die. (Im 37 BTW) Crying or Very sad

It ain't looking real good.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 pm

P74 I was 9 at the last Premiership. I do expect to die before I see another.
Your odds are probably a bit better.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:30 pm

I was but a mere 16 y.o.

If I had to choose which was better between a premiership and breaking my cherry, I would choose the premiership, I can still remember that vividly, while my cherry, hell I don't even remember her name.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Yep I was 16 too & didn't realise that it might not happen again for a long time. I flew back from working in Darwin to see 1979 GF but weather was crap & we weren't good enough. Hope I don't have a heart attack during the celebrations when we win the next one, because after Sat it seems a long way away.
Can't believe that we can match it with the best & then stop. It must be in the head - attitude & focus disappears.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Let's hope we all see it sometime soon..... Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 am

Up until half time I was hopeful we could stay in the match or at least not get blown away! Being 19 pts down at the 15 minute mark of the third quater to only then surrender so meekly was dissapointing and not acceptable!
Make no mistake Norwood are a good team with strong bodies while we are lacking in that department.
I dont like bagging our team and obviously we are looking at the big picture, but for the past couple of seasons if it were not for our recruits we would be in all sorts.
Our depth is just not good enough and must be a concern.
Some blokes are just not giving us enough and need a spell in the twos, and I can think of at least a few!
Saturday will be another test and at home we are a chance. Play a second half like last saturday and we will get our pants pulled down!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 am

At the moment we haven’t had a total effort for the 4 quarters in the manner we want to play.

It is fair to say we had that total effort from Toby Stribling, Nick Liddle, Joel Cross and Josh Thewlis though.

Several others competed quite strongly for most of it but we also had another 8 or 9 who dropped out too dramatically for us to be competitive for the duration.

This week we come up against the Eagles and we can challenge our group to attempt to play at the full game intensity we are working toward.

It was encouraging to see some spirited efforts from a lot of the reserves players and it is probably time to introduce a couple of those better performed players this week to stimulate some internal competition too.

Ron Fuller

Think the Coach is suggesting there might be a change or two given excerpt from his report on web site.
Apparently TV game this week. Oh no!

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

And a TV game v Port the week after by the looks of the schedule!

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 pm

are we being 'overexposed'?
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm

the prowler wrote:are we being 'overexposed'?

I think so..... Crying or Very sad

I hate televised South games!!! Embarassed
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum