View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bays sack Mickan

Post by the prowler on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

The merry-go-round circus has started again. bounce bounce
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Re: Bays sack Mickan

Post by Ben W on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:06 pm

How many times have we had to put up with this, more than I care to remember!

My mail is that when he went out to the 1/4 time address and gave them a rocket, a number of the players would not look him in the eye and certain AFL listed players found it a big joke and did not do a great deal to hide it either.

They have put Kris Massie in as Coach who was the Reserves Coach.

I would hope that if any players were involved with this that Massie gives them the boot, I also think that if allocated AFL players don't want to show respect to the coaching staff that they should be stood down from the club and told to go play somewhere else (not South - that is the last thing we need all over again).

As much as I hate Glenelg, much like us its been pretty thin with success in recent years and constant losing in the finals is not a good thing for anyone, considering the new lights project going up next season I do hope they get reinvigorated and get competitive when it counts, will make it just that bit more satisfying when we roll them next time around!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Ben W wrote:...
As much as I hate Glenelg, much like us its been pretty thin with success in recent years and constant losing in the finals is not a good thing for anyone, considering the new lights project going up next season I do hope they get reinvigorated and get competitive when it counts, will make it just that bit more satisfying when we roll them next time around!

2006. Oh how I miss thee...
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Always had alot of respect for Mickan.

Now if Bay supporters ever have a good laugh at us South supporters again....just laugh at them!!!!

Sacking a coach when your team is in the 5 is a disgrace.....sounds like the club listened to their players and got what they wanted!!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am

Their supporters expect miracles! The way thet have openly bagged their coach for the past year is disgraceful and I only hope they get whats coming to them. They were a total rabble before Mickan, they are just lucky he has left them with plenty of young players with alot of upside!
Fair enough if they go seperate ways at the end of the season, but this is no way to treat the coach who has brought them back from the dead.
Kris Massie may well turn out to be a good coach but do it the right way!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Disgraceful effort by Glenelg but they've done that before. Mickan had done a good job - players let him down in some finals games. Wonder if he'd like to give Ron a hand - his nephew is Ashley Manuel who played for us.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

I know many glenelg supporters their agurement is they are strong in all grades and when you have afl players back playing for glenelg they dont play for the jumper basically they dont give a toss they had 5 afl players against centrals theirs the proof
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 am

i think its good to hear about infighting at other clubs, at least its not us for a change
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archiver on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 pm

B&W63 wrote:Disgraceful effort by Glenelg but they've done that before.

This is very funny. Probably the only club with a worse record than Glenelg re coaching debacles is South Adelaide!
The Archiver

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

This is very funny. Probably the only club with a worse record than Glenelg re coaching debacles is South Adelaide![/quote]

Its not funny, our mistakes have usually been that we made a mistake in our selection of the coach like Don Scott and Jack Cahill, not sacking them when we've been successful e.g Campbell, Hodgeman etc,. When Kerley was coaching them I believe the players let him down in the important games and the same has happened here.
Besides I don't agree and I hardly think we ought to be slagging ourselves.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archiver on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Not slagging just stating a fact. It is hardly appropriate to be slagging the board of another club when South's record in this area is nothing short of atrocious. People in glass houses....

As far as success goes how many finals have Glenelg won under Mickan? How many premierships did Hodgeman and Campbell win? I guess you could say that compared to South these coaches were successful but then that isnt overly difficult is it?
The Archiver

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Who are the other coaches that are in their final year of contract.

Could be on shaky ground as well

With 9 teams and only one Premiership Cup up for grabs, it makes you wonder why one does it.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am

Mickan was pretty stiff IMO.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am

Thats my point - its disgraceful that Mickan turns a rabble into a team that regularly contests finals - (and thats where the players let him down a la Kerley years) and they can't let him see the year out.
The players don't run the team - we have found that out and learnt from it I believe.
At Glenelg Campbell took them to a PF , then Hodgeman to a GF (both in 2 year period IIRC) and both got the boot.
At South 2 of our mid year changes could have been avoided by better planning and selection but 2 were mutual agreement. As a member it embarassed me but wehave always given credit where its due.
In Mickan's case he met their KPI's, his underperforming team is still in the 5 and still gets kicked out. Successs isn't just measured by Premierships it's also by consistency.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am

sounds like b&w63 hit a nerve with the archiver, he/she is clearly not a south mermber and only here an an attempt to flog off some old match dvd's, most of the ones added to his/her list dont even have panthers playing it them. ive already mentioned in another thread that if you want to sell me a dvd then get me the bice oval clash
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archiver on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:57 pm

B&W63 wrote:Thats my point - its disgraceful that Mickan turns a rabble into a team that regularly contests finals - (and thats where the players let him down a la Kerley years) and they can't let him see the year out.
The players don't run the team - we have found that out and learnt from it I believe.
At Glenelg Campbell took them to a PF , then Hodgeman to a GF (both in 2 year period IIRC) and both got the boot.
At South 2 of our mid year changes could have been avoided by better planning and selection but 2 were mutual agreement. As a member it embarassed me but wehave always given credit where its due.
In Mickan's case he met their KPI's, his underperforming team is still in the 5 and still gets kicked out. Successs isn't just measured by Premierships it's also by consistency.

If you are convinced that Mickan has meet his KPI's you must know what they were or else how could you be so sure? Please list his KPI's here, so we can all assess if he met them or not. Yes, I know that Mickan said during his radio interview that he has met his KPI's, I am sure if you were to ask the board they would have a different opinion.

This was not a player rebellion. The board, the players and Mickan have all stated this. Why would the players rebel against Mickan? He has consistently failed to drop non-performing senior players during his tenure as coach. I totally agree with you when you say that the players let Mickan down in important games, the same players have let him down in 3 successive finals series. Some of them are still on Glenelg's list and regularly playing in the senior side! If Mickan were coaching South last year Michael Handby would still be on your list because Mickan would never have dropped him to the reserves in the first place. This has bred a culture of complacency, senior players knew there would be no consequences for non-performance. It has also meant that the outstanding performers in the reserves were denied significant opportnities in the senior side. In my opinion this has significantly contributed to Glenelg's straight sets exit from the finals in the past 2 years and to the poor performance of so many senior players this season.

If the decision to sack Mickan was the correct one or not, to be honest I dont know. I can see both sides of the argument. My only reason for commenting on this here in the first place was that I thought it was more than a bit rich to make comments like "the merry-go-round is starting again" when South's own record in this regard has been so bad. The only way we will know is with the benifit of hindsight, Glenelg's performances in the next 18 months will tell us if the correct decision was made. However, I can say with absolute certainty that the decision to sack Campbell and replace him with Cornes at the end of 1984 was undeniably correct, as Glenelg went on to win the next 2 flags.

Sorry mate, but success is measured in premierships and premierships alone. No doubt poor decisions re coaches have been a significant reason why Glenelg and South have sadly had so little success. Time will tell if the Mickan decision will fall into this category.

The Archiver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archiver on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 pm

ryan wrote:sounds like b&w63 hit a nerve with the archiver, he/she is clearly not a south mermber and only here an an attempt to flog off some old match dvd's, most of the ones added to his/her list dont even have panthers playing it them. ive already mentioned in another thread that if you want to sell me a dvd then get me the bice oval clash

Ryan, whats wrong with a bit of dissenting opinion on a forum? Thats one of the reasons they exist isn't it? You got anything to contribute to the debate or you just going to critisize me on unrelated matters?

Just to set you straight on a couple of things. We do not "flog" or sell any football videos. They are for trade only.

The "SA" in "SA Football Video Archive" stands for "South Australian" not "South Adelaide" so obviously most games will not involve South Adelaide, but the same could be said of any of the clubs. There are plenty of South games on the list though. Lots of South supporters have been very excited to be able to receive a copy of your last premiership and also the Darren Harris goal after the siren game against Port in 1984, amongst others. If it was televised there is a very good chance the Bice Oval game may well show up one day as well...
The Archiver

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Yeah I love the SA Football archive....lots of good memories - not only for South games but there are plenty there. Its great stuff to watch.

Look guys, forget about Glenelg - let them deal in their own issues. Lets get behind our club as we are the only ones that can change it for the better. Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum