South crowds at home.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South crowds at home.

Post by the prowler on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I am a bit concerned about the crowd South is pulling each week, I counted 125 cars in the car park at 1/4 time, say on average there are 2 people per car and they stay in their car for the whole day, that gives us 250 people, I counted 212 in the grandstand and from being at lunches there is approx 150 inside the club.
There were 92 cars in the players car park so we assume a player and his girlfriend from each team that makes 184, There were less than 75
people sitting around the ground between the grandstand and the past
players club(assuming none of them came from the parked cars), I very
much doubt if there were 250 in front of the BBQ on the hill and 150 at the most under the shelter shed, these numbers are almost impossible to count even with the small amount to count

That gives a total of, 150+250+75+184+150+212+250 = 1271, I didnt check the toilets so lets add on another 20 that = 1291. Now lets assume that the crowd was 50-50, thats 600 of them and 600 of us, what I will add as an extra is lets say that 10%
of people left before 1/4 time of the main game, both reserves teams
relations the would go home as soon as their sibling has finished
playing, that makes a total of 1411 at the game, the paper said it was 1708 if that is the correct SANFL count.

All other matches drew crowds of in excess of 3000, Norwood getting over 5000 on friday night.

This must be of great concern to the Board and Ozzie, you dont have to
be any smarter than a 1st year high school student to know that the way
to attract bigger crowds is to be more successful and competitive each
week, so in the meantime, until the wins come more frequent, how the
hell do we get more locals and opposition to our home matches, and of
course when we play away and the team needs our support.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Re: South crowds at home.

Post by Handball Happy on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Geez we won the game didn't we? What's with the negative waves. Can't we just dig what a beautiful result it was.
Crowds for night games were ok from memory although weather was unkind for first two. Despite being two clubs Eagles struggle for support to and was tv game.
Going to take a couple of years of winning to load the bandwagon.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Everyone hangs it on the SAFC for drawing low crowds, yet its my opinion that WWT are actually worse in that regard, hence when we play each other, be it at Woodville or at Panther Park its generally a low crowd.

I would love to see more people, yet not winning a flag since 1964 has really belted this club in terms of generating new supporters, yes we will turn it around, but its not going to be easy in the short term.

The one suggestion that I do have is to look at the possibility of including an SFL or GSFL match before or after our matches. It would achieve a result of getting more people along, but also helping the club forge better links with those sides. It could even be that SAFC supporters stick around to watch the SFL which would not be a bad thing either.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:38 pm

That would be a good idea Ben , it does concern me a lot when we always have the least support at matches, the crowd certainly helps to get the team over the line on many occasions.

remember the days at Adelaide oval when we had more than half the crowd support, we played some good footy there, maybe we didnt win more than our share but at least we were competitive.

I wasnt trying to put anything negative on it about the crowds, only a realistic view. one that must be of concern to the club.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:49 pm

It has to be brought up and addressed Prowler, clearly the club are trying, yet it seems like the more we try sometimes, the more we end up actually going backwards!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 am

I understand we are the only club in the league to have grown crowds every year for the last 5 years, and that has been on the back of some pretty ordinary footy until Ron arrived. If we've been able to grown crowds under those circumstances and most of us can see on-field performances on the rise, I reckon we should be pretty happy.

Prowler - love how yu can find a negitive in every positive. What will it be if we beat CDFC next week. The beer is too cold?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:07 am

The Growl wrote:I understand we are the only club in the league to have grown crowds every year for the last 5 years, and that has been on the back of some pretty ordinary footy until Ron arrived. If we've been able to grown crowds under those circumstances and most of us can see on-field performances on the rise, I reckon we should be pretty happy.

Prowler - love how yu can find a negitive in every positive. What will it be if we beat CDFC next week. The beer is too cold?

Dont call me love, I haven't dated you yet.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum