Round 15 - South v Central

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 15 - South v Central

Post by Choaty on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Could the Panthers go three on trott?!
Trying not to get ahead of myself, but have a slither of confidence going in to this match...
Let's hope the boys have the right mindset and take it right up to 'The Measuring Stick'.

Go Panthers!

(oh, rrrrrrroooolllllllllllllcccaaaalllllllllllllll???!!!)
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 15 - South v Central

Post by panther magic on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Bring the same game to the table as the past fortnight and yes we could be very competetive. Anything less and we will not get close. Simple as that!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Play to the conditions on Sunday and anything will happen!!!

I have a strange feeling about this......gee.....I would love to knock this lot off and cause a huge stir in the competition.

Believe in yourself lads!!!

Get out and cheer them on people.... Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:29 am

A very competitive team displaying never give in attitude - good signs for the future. This week is a good test. I also have a good feeling about this game, hoping for a good turn out of supporters and reasonable weather, we could earn some respect in this comp. Smile

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm

This game will give us some ideas about how far we have progressed this year. I too have a good feeling about this one, bring the same energy and resolve we have shown in the last two weeks and anything could happen.
Wouldnt miss it for quids. Smile
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:55 pm

we won 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters. The 8 to 4 goal second quarter was the killer.

3 things that cost us the game:

turnovers, indecision in our 50, and not nailing tackles.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 am

Pretty harsh thud back to reality!

Very disapointed that we could not go three in a row against the top side of the SANFL, yet am pretty sure sportsbet did not back us greatly either and to be blunt, few outside of the SAFC would have either!

We were competitive, yet still showing some deficiencies, a point was made that Central were injury depleted, its worth pointing out that we have several out for the season also.

Sturt next week at Unley, our record is not good at Unley, yet Sturt are not travelling well and have their issues, time for South to stand up and show that wins in recent weeks were not simply an aberration.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

The great thing about Hickinbotham Oval is that in your car no one can hear you scream. Thought we fought hard for most of the day but their class just got us at crucial times.
Oh for a big bodied CHB to blunt their attacks. They seemed to get too many easy goals when we looked like challenging. Outside of young Richman thought our defence struggled. I'm sure it isn't instruction to always be behind your man. Will the Gowans still be tormenting us into their 40s?
Now to next week. Anything below that effort and Unley will be a graveyard again even if they have been struggling.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 am

We are improving but perhaps Centrals show us exactly where we are at. Respect in the comp has to be earned and we'r e getting it slowly. The Gowans always lift against us, perhaps because originally they were going to play for us - hasn't that come back to haunt us.

Our attitude and effort is great but we were killed on the rebound from our attacks and loose checking and after the good goal kicking from them in that second quarter we could not bridge the gap.
However Ron and the boys will learn from that and I am sure we will see a strong effort against Sturt.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:05 am

Disappointed with the loss, proud of the effort. The South boys weren't outmuscled or intimidated by the league leader as we may have been in the past, really positive signs for persistance which almost paid off. The team will win more games than they loose if they continue this approach.

Mate of mine involved at Sturt has told me Sturt are going to throw the kitchen sink at us this w/end after their poor showing against Port....preparation is vital!!!!

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 am

All things considered it was not a bad effort against the best team in the comp for the last 10 yrs. However the opportunities to grasp a win instead of "a good effort" were there and that was a bit disappointing.
They really hurt us when we turned the ball over with easy goals. Our mid field was very good, our forwards were ok but somehow should have made a bit more of their opportunities.
Our defence ....well at times they were under a lot of pressure but I thought most were beaten except Richman- who is developing nicely and I thought Crabby may have broke even. As previously mentioned we need to find a tall rebounding CHB -in the Talia mold before next season. I think Thewlis on a tall is not a good option for us as he gets dragged back deep and deprives us of run and rebound out of defence.
The move of Cocky to a permanent forward is working beautifully and his presence is releasing Rolfy to swoop on the scraps and use his pace to good effect.
Unley has been the stage for some pretty dismal showings in recent times, but if we bring the form of the last 3 weeks, I think we can get the chocolates. Smile
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by turns on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Not sure why Ainger is not being tried at CHB - he certainly has the height to go with the taller forwards. Another option might be to play Bass and Brooksby in the ruck and play McKernan at CHB? Just a thought.
turns

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Yep good thought turns Ainger could prove ideal on small Unley oval, always liked Nathan Lyons and Tarak Redigilo performances and hope to see them getting further opportunities. Great to see James back in the team, both he and Curtis Perrey will be better for the run. Good result for the ressies putting presure on league positions is vital for continued improvement.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:37 pm

not sure but Ainger may have been injured early during the 2's and didnt return........ Shocked
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by turns on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks 'Darley' . James has done well to fight his way back to the League side given the fact that he missed the whole pre-season with a bad knee problem that required surgery in March. At one point he was going to miss the whole season but has worked hard to get himself back. Hopefully he can hold his spot but there are players in the Reserves who will be knocking on the door for senior selection (Redigolo, Lyons, McLeod, Brooksby and Veide to name a few). This creates pressure for spots in the League side which puts the Club in a healthy position as it puts pressure on all players to perform.
turns

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Think its worth pointing out that this is year two of a five year plan to set this club up to be competitive in the SANFL for the longer term.

It may upset a few, but don't be surprised when at the end of this season several players get the "you are not required" letter from the club. Blind Freddy can see that Ron Fuller is going to keep turning this list over and improving it until the mix is right. We have a number of good juniors, yet not all of them will make the cut for 2012. We will yet again be bringing in some good quality recruits both from our zone and from outside to turn our list over. One thing I have learnt over recent years is that there is absolutley no point keeping players that are almost good enough. When you do that, you take away places from others that might well be better. We have a fantastic recruiting manager at the club, we need to continue identifying the right players and making the hard decisions to make this club take the step up from being almost good enough on the day to being the absolute best side this club has had since 1964.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum