Ozzie leaves SAFC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ozzie leaves SAFC

Post by darley16 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Sad news that Andrew Osbourne is leaving to pursue an opportunity too good to refuse. Ozzie is great Southie, not only because of his on field heroics and Medal recognition but also for his great work as Marketing Manager, he will be missed by all.
The position is of vital importance to South and the search for his replacement needs to be extensive as whoever fills the position has to continue the improvement that Andrew bought to the club and that requires a lot of energy, enthusiasm and marketing knowledge that incorporates unique requirements for SAFC.
Best of luck Ozzie and thanks for all your efforts in support of our great club.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Re: Ozzie leaves SAFC

Post by Ben W on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:15 pm

He has done pretty well I agree, huge champion of the club and its sad to see him moving on, yet as he says, he is moving on to other things and it needs to be understood that you can hardly stand in his way, I wish him all the best in where he goes next!

As for the position, I really hope the club have a long hard think about getting Phil Herden involved in the club again, he did some very good things with the position and it would be a good thing to get him involved again to pick up where he left off!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Well done Ozzie, always a pleasure dealing with him, good luck in the future.

Ben, you're too late to get Phil Herden back mate, the Eagles have snatched him up doing some community relations work with them.

Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:41 pm

I am pretty sure BP that the job at South is full time and well renumerated mate, huge step up from what he is doing at the moment!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Almost choked on my dinner when I read this

Ben, I truly appreciate your thoughts, its nice to be considered that way some four years after leaving

I made a decision after my 2007 experience not to take on a SANFL Marketing Manager's role ever again ... the Eagles have had 2 new ones in the last three years and I did not apply either time.

I realised that there were some parts of the role I had some great success at and others I was just out of my depth.

On that I think you have been well served by Ozzy in the role as he brought a much better balance of football and corporate background to the role.

Six weeks after leaving South I started a new full time banking job (previous career) but from my Panther experiences, I approached the Eagles to voluntarily look at growing their supporter base

This lead to
- research and a comprehensive report to the board in 2008
- voluntary leading a club committee in 2009
- part time "Community Relations Manager" role in 2010/11

Almost 3 years after starting to implement the project we are generating some great momentum and membership / home match crowd gowth.

Eight of the nine SANFL clubs have their Marketing & Sales Manager responsible for having to balance sponsor and fundraising commitments with the need to grow their membership, community relations and overall supporter base. I think its too much for one person and with budgets to meet its usually the later that misses out.

I think the Eagles have an excellent structure now where you have a Sales & Marketing Manager who is freed up to totally 100% focus on sales matters ie growing sponsors, fundraising events ie raising money for the club. They don't really need a football background, just great sales and servicing skills.

And then you have a seperate part time Community Relations person who is 100% focussed on the "warm & fuzzy" stuff of enagaging new supporters, enhancing relationships with community stakeholders and growing the membership / supporter base.

It's something other clubs, South included, should consider.

PhilH

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum