my thoughts..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

my thoughts..

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Like many other southies I was pretty disappointed with our loss to Norwood on Sunday.
Norwood are a very good side and will be there when the whips are cracking late in September, so we were up against one of the leagues true measuring sticks.

It is probably worthwhile looking at how we have progressed so far this year compared to previous years. We have won more games this year than we have in the previous 2 combined- so far. We are even in the mix for a finals berth which would be the first time since 2006, but we have a tough draw .A win this week against the tiggers would set the cat right amongst the pigeons.

Recruits.
We have recruited very well, perhaps the best we have done in this regard for a very long time. Liddle, Horne, Gotch and O'Keefe came on board last year and this year they were joined by interstaters, Cross,McLeod,Carey,& Ainger as well as Stribling and Wundke from North and Daniel from WWT. The recruiting of these lads has been a masterstroke, all are exceptional young men and all show the right spirit and commitment that we love to see. Unlike some of the higher priced recruits we have seen in years gone by these boys play for the jumper and their team mates and not for themselves. I think Neill Sharpe has done an exceptional job in this regard. I believe if we can pick up a couple of defensive talls in the off season we can then take some really big strides next year,probably a bit more depth in key positions and another ruckman would be handy as well!!It is rumoured the club may be looking at Dean Brogan to come on board for a year or 2 after his retirement from the Power at the end of the year, he would be more than handy. Twisted Evil

The lights.
Last year the board decided to go ahead with the construction of light towers to facilitate night footy at Hickinbotham Oval. Other SANFL clubs had their lights subsidised and funded by generous local councils. South had no such luxury and had to beg borrow and scrape for grants from here there and everywhere, borrow money and rely on some very generous sponsorship to enable the construction to go ahead. I believe they have been an unbelievable success. In playing night footy at Hickinbotham we really are taking our product to the local community with the lights enabling us enormous flexibility in our fixturing. The lights are a great investment in the club and especially in its future.

Our Zone.
Basically -Tell anyone that will listen ,that any idea or notion that Souths Metro and Country zones are chocker block full of burgeoning young talent is a load of rubbish. For a start apparently Glenelgs country zone has nearly 3 times the amount of junior football teams than ours. Any notion that the allocated Zones are a level playing field is a furphy. We might have the population but we dont have the depth and we dont have the talent in our zones.The club has brought the issue forthrightly to the the SANFL commission and collectively we will wait with baited breath on their response.I can hear the squeals of delight from down at the Bay if any boundary changes are in the wind!!!!

The Coach.
Yes I've read the same crap, as most of us have, from Eagles fans who were glad to get rid of Ron ,etc,etc.
Well I will say quite categorically that in the fullness of time I believe Rons' appointment is going to realise some very,very good results for our club. Yes he did the "Blighty thing" last year- came in and cleared the decks, got rid of players who werent in it for the right reasons and moved plenty of fan favourites on as well. They were hard decisions and raised the odd eyebrow. Hard decisions had to be made , because its no good just keeping going the way we were,losing season after losing season,and losing hope.... something had to change. And now it has ,and I'm am more optimistic about our beloved old clubs fortunes than I have been for a very long, long time.The real thing that Ron has done is quietly changed the mindset and culture of our club ,from one that well "near enough is good enough" to one of expectation- that our team and its individual players up for it and in every contest up to their necks.
I love it -its a breath of fresh air , and I'm once again enjoying going to games with the thought that we are a good chance to win.

All in all I think its great being a Panther supporter at the moment; if you or your mates are not a member- get on board! the futures so bright I need to buy new shades! Cool

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: my thoughts..

Post by paul on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 pm

i would have to agree 100 percent very well put
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 pm

hear hear blue and white.

certainly felt down on sunday night (and monday), but take a fair bit of hope at what you have pointed out.

Must say boundary thing remains somthing that is dimming an otherwise bright future - this must be addressed for us to have long-term hope - how could the SANFL have turned a blind eye to this situation for so long? Evil or Very Mad
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 am

Well said David....er B&W, spot on!
My only concerns relate to our zone, as you have covered, ongoing finances given possible future gaming legislation and our substantial debt load, and the expanded AFL picking off our players at years end leaving us to almost start again in recruiting which under new laws is now limited.
However, if our zone is fairly redistributed, we're ahead, if gaming legislation is delayed or watered down, we're ahead, if AFL and "others" leave our playing list intact and all current players re-sign for the next 2 years then we're not only ahead but quite simply put....SAFC WILL be "SANFL Premiers"!!!!!!

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:10 am

Smile Whilst there is plenty of noise re Gaming legislation being watered down, I feel that if push comes to to shove,it should be remembered that the state government are raking in a huge amount in gaming taxes from each pokie venue in SA , and as I was told once by a wise old man..
" never stand between a politician and a big pile of money"
I also am aware that the SAFC board are well down the track on looking at alternative revenue sources to finance the club.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Brilliant to win all three grades on the weekend. Hope it doesn't impact boundary submission.
Can't believe we are in a sniff of finals footy. Not sure we are truly ready but wouldn't mind playing Bays in elimination final.
Big games keep coming and must beat West and then at least 1 of last 3 to make it. Going to have to think about rescheduling holidays if it keeps going like this.
How good would it be to be part of major round for once.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm not sure I'm going to know what to do HH?!
Where do we go? What happens there? Can I get a pie? Laughing

As Ron points out, the team just need to keep doing what theyre doing before we get too carried away... (that said, I have marked a couple of 'keep clears' on the family calendar!)
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Take each game as it comes, play hard and dont give an inch and then we might be able to think of finals! Tough run home and we would need to win at least both home games I would think. Lets get primed for westies!!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum