Off season news

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Off season news

Post by Choaty on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread to get us all through that boring period of the year between the Major round and trial matches... Any links, info etc, post away:::

Kicking things off, confirmation from the other side that Lyons and Livingston are both headed home to Vic.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/om-wodonga-signs-sanfl-pair/2318654.aspx

and as mentioned in another thread, Dugga headed to The Parade for the next 2 seasons.

http://www.norwoodfc.com.au/News/LATESTNEWS/BENWARREN.aspx

have also heard a little rumour about Trent Mills returning to SAFC in some capacity next season?

Choaty

Back to top Go down

Re: Off season news

Post by panther magic on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Oh well good luck to the fellas.
Lyons showed some good glimpses of form but maybe not consistently.
I would have liked him to stay, but good luck to them both.
Hope to hear of new signings in the next month or so!
Just hope we can keep the nucleas of our squad and get the players we need to improve.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by the veteran on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am

This big problem of players leavingis not healthy for a club like south who need to build on there numbers not lose a number and then recruit to add to the depth. Lyons Gone
Livingstone Gone
Sandery Reported Going
Cockshell reported gone
Redeligo gone to Kaniva
J. Turner gone to Kaniva
Cook Uncertain
Bass Uncertain
Any more that we do not know about
the veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 am

Kaniva- already have 5-6 former South players on their list!! Must be some huge $$$$$'s down there! Will have to change their name from the Bulldogs to the Panthers!! Smile
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 pm

We will really need to add to our depth if indeed these players and maybe more decide to move on. The nature of the beast I suppose as many other clubs face the same situation each season.
Just another challenge for the coaching and recruiting staff.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 pm

If we recruit 8 players in a season and retain 4 we have done well as a club, If you look at other sides such as Westies the very same thing happens, some make it and some do not and you have to be prepared that you will lose players at the end of each season, lads play for the club under contract and make their decisions at the end of the season. Very few if any clubs would ever see all of their recruited players make it from an interstate move.

Yet conversley look at some of the quality recruits we have landed that have chosen to stay and to play for the Jumper, its from that group that we build a group of recruits.

South employ Sharpe for a reason and I suspect that we will again land several high quality players both from interstate and also from within the SANFL system as we did last season. I realise that Chris McDermott may have had a bit to say about South in the paper last week, yet I care little for what anyone outside of our club thinks about what we are doing or what we should do. We are getting the right people into this club both on the playing list, the board and the coaching staff, we have a vacancy to fill in our Assistant Coaching staff and if Mills name is being mentioned considering the flags he led the Goodwood Saints too I would not be surprised if that is the case and would be more than happy to see him back at the SAFC!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

I notice that Brisbane have delisted rookie player 202cm Broc McCauley, I would be very keen to see him at the SAFC if he is interested in a move to Adelaide, he may have only played the three games in his inaugural season, yet was not the worst player in Brisbanes side by far.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:17 am

From the Knuckey Cup rumor mill, it does look like Horne and Gotch could be headed home. Both yet to re-sign, although fellow interstaters O'Keefe, Liddle, Carey, Ainger and Cross will all be back next season.
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:40 pm

So Redigolo win Best Clubman and is now leaving to go to Kaniva
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:11 pm

southernladbornandbred wrote:So Redigolo win Best Clubman and is now leaving to go to Kaniva

Yep, James Turner headed with him. With all due respect, must be tough training 3 days a week for a minuscule match payment when so many country clubs offer the same figure with an extra zero on the end and only one training per week. Regardless, would be nice to see him to continue in the blue and white, especially the midfield opportunities may open up in 2012.
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Choaty wrote:From the Knuckey Cup rumor mill, it does look like Horne and Gotch could be headed home. Both yet to re-sign, although fellow interstaters O'Keefe, Liddle, Carey, Ainger and Cross will all be back next season.

Love to see Horne stay...... Crying or Very sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Might be reading between the lines a bit, but The Vic lads were all living together, but only Liddle has signed and was house hunting with O'Keefe...
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:16 pm

southernladbornandbred wrote:So Redigolo win Best Clubman and is now leaving to go to Kaniva

Same thing happened at my local cricket club a few years ago. Best Clubman wanted a clearance to our nearest rival about a month after receiving the award! Shocked tongue

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 pm

We really need to know what these guys want to do soon.....

are they IN or are they OUT as it frees up $$$'s and give us some indication of who is keen to play with us and others that we can seek out there.

Time waits for no man...... Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:07 pm

As most expected Cook cut from Adelaide today.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradigm_shift on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 pm

isn't Brad Gotch the recently appointed port power assistant coach the father of Gotch, if so this would almost certainly increase our chances of retaining Gotch next season.
Paradigm_shift

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Yes that is his dad.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 am

all the mail I'm getting is that Tarak is not going anywhere - apparently was at the recent players and coaches meeting, planning for 2012.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Xavier Gotch Dad did a great interview on 5AA last night where he stated how impressed he was with Ron, Neil & Ben and how well managed the SAFC is. Really nice to hear some positive response in the media about our club as we always seem to cop biased views from hack media commentators who do no research and have no idea.
In the interveiw Brad suggested he will live with Xavier so hopefully we have his signiture for next year and beyond. As this is the rumour season beware of all the rubbish that is about to be flung about presented as fact.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I read on the AFL website that Tom Mcnamara and Mitch Farmer have been delisted by their respective clubs. Having both played for south I hope the club is looking into their plans for the future.
Mitch Farmer would be very handy back at the club. Just what we need a strong tough midfielder who can also play forward.
They would both be very handy!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Unfortunately Mitch is a Victorian, which would reduce the chances of him returning I'd say.

Tom on the other hand...

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 pm

I know Mitch was on the powers list and he didnt get much of a shot there and he was even playing ressies at Sturt so he transfered to South.
Even though he is a Victorian it would be worth a shot to see if he is a chance. Tom has been at Melbourne for a few seasons and I'm not even sure if he managed a senior game?
Hopefully being a south boy he may come back to us so long as no other interstate AFL club takes a punt on him.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/horne-heads-home/story-e6freckc-1226172975504

As posted by Paradigm_Shift, and with the rumour of Gotchy moving in with his old man kinda makes sense why people were thinking both Gotch and Horne were headed back to Vic after not continuing to house share with Liddle...

Conclusion Jumping at its best this time of year!

Sad to see Horne leave, but glad to keep Gotch...

(and also glad I was wrong about my Tarak rumour!)

Any news on Jimmy Turner? (CUE TURNS!!!!)
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by turns on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm

James has had a really bad run with injuries over the past 2-3 seasons. He wasn't going to play at all in 2011 due to a knee problem but he went ahead with surgery and managed to play 3/4 of the season mainly in the 2s where he became a bit disillusioned with his footy, his fitness worries and subsequent average form. I know he felt quite out of place playing full back each week for the 2s.

James has not been able to complete a full pre-season for 3 years and this had had a negative impact on his confidence, his fitness base and his own game.

He is now out of contract and was unsure if Ron Fuller would want to offer him another contract extension for 2012. At this stage he has spoken to Neill Sharpe about his situation and he will be contacting Ron for a chat when Ron is back from holidays.

turns

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I hope james stays and manages to get a full pre season under his belt. It would make a world of difference. Sound in body sound in mind.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum