Hall of Fame.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hall of Fame.

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 am

I have been thinking over the summer about the SAFC hall of fame.
It is fair to say that all the selections to our Hall of Fame have been well deserved and all of the people have served the club well in various roles, over many years.
I realise that only 2-3 people are inducted every 2 years but im my very humble opinion there is one player who has been overlooked, or perhaps he may be next on the list, Im not sure. So I will run this name up the flag pole..

John Schneebichler.

I realise that the very mention of that name in certain quarters of the club will produce a variety of emotions and reactions. Given Johns acrimonious departure to "the Dark side" in the twilight of his career this is quite understandable.

However, Im more concerned with Johns time at South Adelaide where he played for 12 years and 235 games,kicked 377 goals,was captain for 3 years, played half a dozen state games
He was a workmanlike and thoroughly dependable league footballer .He was capable of playing in a variety of positions, he carried out whatever function was asked of him with a minimum of fuss and plenty of fortitude and grit. He was a member of the Panthers' losing grand final team against Port Adelaide in 1979, and was the club's leading goal kicker with 65 goals in 1983.
The thing I really liked about Johns game was the way he went about it, he came to play every week; sometimes against opposition much bigger and stronger but he just thrived in the contest.He was as hard as a cats' head, and if the flag needed to be flown in an onfield skirmish John was usually in the thick of it.
It is a very sad thing that John,that as far as I am aware has not set foot in the club since his departure to Glenelg. Im really hope that John and hopefully the club have forgotten the acrimony of those days and the wounds have healed.
We are talking about events nearly 25 yrs ago so its time to kiss and make up. Shocked
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: Hall of Fame.

Post by darley16 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

Absolutely Agree! Let's start the campaign to "Bring Back Schneezer".

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:44 pm

B&W. We just are not going to agree on this .

He left to play against us. If we say to a player that's it or they can't crack the league side, fair enough.

Not for me.

DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by PantherRick on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:27 pm

I agree as well, it's definately time that Schneezer is inducted in the Hall of Fame. Great memories of our no. 36.

Good to have him as a guest at a home match luncheon.

PantherRick

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:02 pm

I agree as well one day but if you look at our hall of fame you could make a case for at lest another 10 players so i dont think what happen 25 years ago has any bearing I dont think any body at the club now holds on to any grudges to BW John played all his junior footy he probally holds on to souths record for playing the most games wearing our jumper the last year he played for us we were an embaressment in the league) the club was going nowhere He would have retired but he wanted to have one last crack at a premiership I couldnt blame him thats what we all want as players when you play footy
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Well when Sneezer went to the Gays in 1988 or 89....I remember coming to my high school training in my no.36 jumper and ripping off the no.3 on it in front of my mates with tears in my eyes.....I was heartbroken as a 14 or 15 year old. I said my favorite player now is Craig Dewhurst (no.6).

Over time I have mellowed and done alot of soul searching and eased my bitterness.

Time to get over it as the man is a bloody legend of the SAFC and always will be in my eyes. Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by PantherRick on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Wasn't Dewie No.5??
PantherRick

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah not sure ... Think it was him or valente??? ( spelling escapes me )

Just know I was shattered at the time .
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Could not agree more, the Club should host a Testimonial Dinner in his name. He was a Stalwart SAFC player and as P74, my own favourite player also growing up along with many other SAFC fans in the 1970's - 80's no doubt.

Andrew Jarman moved from North to Norwood and was embraced back at North again. If any SAFC people are still bitter over it they need to get over themselves. I also think that bringing Sneezer back into the fold is another step that needs to be taken in the path to success for our club.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 am

Ben W wrote:Could not agree more, the Club should host a Testimonial Dinner in his name. He was a Stalwart SAFC player and as P74, my own favourite player also growing up along with many other SAFC fans in the 1970's - 80's no doubt.

Andrew Jarman moved from North to Norwood and was embraced back at North again. If any SAFC people are still bitter over it they need to get over themselves. I also think that bringing Sneezer back into the fold is another step that needs to be taken in the path to success for our club.

Perhaps going a bit far there Ben..! "baby steps" first may be an idea....!

Perhaps an invitation to toss the coin at a night game maybe an appropriate initial step!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by CanberraPanther on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:32 pm

In a word, no.
CanberraPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top