Round 20 South vs North at Prospect

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 20 South vs North at Prospect

Post by Ben W on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 am

Plenty riding on this game this week despite the positions of both South and North on the ladder. South have played well in recent weeks and clearly are not far away from a win, North are under a massive amount of pressure having fallen out of the five and are looking to restore some credibility to their side. The rumour drums are beating that if South beat North this week that Healy's position may be fairly tenuous at the club. North always play well against South on their home deck, yet I think that South have plenty to play for this week and think we will win in a close one!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 20 South vs North at Prospect

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Its been a while since we've won at Prospect; We've had some great wins there though; Could be an omen with Healy's future, recall we slaughtered them out there a few years back & Hart got the sack; Reckon also a previous result didn't help Jarman's cause as well.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Bugger them, lets spoil their party.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 pm

This week's League side:

F: Brooksby Warren Rolfe
HF: Gotch Cockshell Lyons
C: Veide O'Keefe Cook
HB: Richman Crate Murphy
B: Trevena Crabb Carter
R: Bass Horne Liddle
Int from: Campbell Perrey Schmidt Whitford Taylor

McKernan gets a call up to the Crows, Handles and Tarak back to the 2's...

Well done on Bass getting his debut (if selected), and great to see Schmidt back after long term injury and some recent form in the Reserves.

No broadcast AGAIN this week. Perfect reason to get along to Prospect. Sure, parking sucks, the ground is bordered by concrete and there are North supporters there Wink but I reckon we'll be up for the 2 points. Get along Southies!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Looking forward to seeing how Bass goes as well as Perrey being back in the team, good to see some of the lads getting back from injury!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I think Bass is an untapped talent, he is one of those type that get bigger and taller as the game goes on, just what we need, Perrey and Schmidt deserve their recall, and I'd like to see Brooksby start to believe in his ability and take the game on in both hands.

A win on Saturday is not out of the question, the players can feel it.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Good to see Schmidt back in. Has had a rough year with injury. Thought he showed a bit last year.

Perrey was an important part of our early season success. We aren't blessed with too many capable small forwards.

McKernan will be a loss if he does infact play for Adelaide.

South to win by a couple of goals. Wink

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Love to win this game - North are vulnerable.

Lets get Archard back with this game boys.....we are a team going up.....North are on their way down.

Cant wait for Saturday.....rug up Southies!!!

Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther67 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:33 pm

I hope that we can finish off the season with a win or 2. In pervious years we have won a couple of games early and then rolled over for the rest of the season. If we are about to turn the corner then a few wins will certainly have us pointing in the right direction. So a win tomorrow will be a good start.
panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 am

Heard on the radio tonight that McKernan will be back with us, unless of course the crows take him just for the plane ride.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Mad

What a day...!

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Sure was, one disappointment after the other, I am really starting to wonder if the players are learning anything or have they learnt as much as they can and are just marking time.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm

What a HUGE let down!!!

Thought by now we would be winning at least a few.

Its going to be a long few weeks ahead guys.....be prepared for more heartache and self pity!!!

Disappointing result....we really should have won this one No
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Final Score
North 17.11
South 11.7

Very disappointing effort when you consider that North are some way off a final five position.

I really hope the club has the capacity to get some new players into the group for next season, as it stands our league list appears to be well behind our competitors, I do wonder how many in our list would get a game at Central for example and ultimatley that is where the list needs to be at if we are to have any success as a club.

It gets pretty tiring when your best memories of the club actually being competitive and winning games well was in 1991. Yes I know all the right things are being done and various plans are being put in place and so on, yet to see our club getting smashed by sides outside of the five isnt a good look and is quite humiliating to be blunt. Sides like Norwood and Port who began on the bottom seem to be able to pull their act together and put in some competitive footy, I do hope that is the SAFC sooner rather than later....
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:10 pm

After todays effort, especially after half time, every south supporter has the right to be dissapointed, what was done in the first half was left in the change rooms when the players returned to the field.

Ron must be pulling his hair out at each attack at the ball, North did make winning every contest their aim, while many of our attempts were half hearted with soft marking and poor kicking standing out like a country outhouse, our skill levels have to improve immensely for us to be remotely competitive at this level.

Our interstate recruits are leading the way with endevour and attack on the ball, its about time the local lads in the team picked up the pace and became accountable to their hard working team mates.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Us South supporters have great patience.......

...but I am slowly "cracking" up Crying or Very sad

Give us something (a win) by the end of the year...please!!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:41 pm

We have Westies two week from now who lost to Sturt today in a match where they had to win to rely on making the finals, think its the makings of a decent match in a fortnight, yet I do think that is going to be our last and best chance to get another win in this season!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 pm

From SAfooty:

Watching North in the first half reminded me of many previous South sides (2007/08 in particular) at this late stage of the year. Uninterested. Undisciplined. No passion. Failing to grasp the basic idea of teamwork. Waiting for Round 23 to roll by..

Any decent team would have had a handy 6 or 7 goal buffer at half time, given the dominance in the general field play. South had a 3 goal advantage.

The second half..well..what a contrast The ball spent most of the third quarter in the North fwd 50. South hung around for the first 10 minutes of the final quarter, a goal or two in it, but then the white flag was hoisted. The 20 minutes that followed was a disgrace, Alleway and co feasting on a error ridden South during 'junk time'.

Bitterly disappointing. Despite the 13 straight losses coming into the match, I think all South supporters had high expectations today. To see a 10 goal turn around in the second half to a side that resembled a rabble will test any supporter's patience.

Whistle happy umpires continue to rear their ugly heads.

Losing Murphy and Warren before the bounce didn't help. Anybody know the story behind this? I think Dugga's was a groin? Murphy would have been handy around the stoppages.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Didnt hear the reason why they didnt play

saw Dugga all dressed up before the game , never saw Murp all day, was he there as well

All the Southies I spoke to today were confident of a win, and terribly pi$$ed off half way through the last quarter.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 am

Murphy pulled out with virus apparently. I think we just have to grit our teeth for two more weeks.
Boys are having a go. Lack talent and injuries haven't helped. Summer recruiting and pre season will be key. I'm confident Ron knows what he's doing and we will improve greatly next year.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 am

First time this year i put a bet on before the game. they were paying $3.25 on sportsbet. I thought why not. At half time i thought id be geting a healthy return just to see it all come crashing down in the second half.

pretty dissapointing day really
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by danny del re on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:09 am

pretty disappointing really. The first half was some of the best footy weve produced all year, first to the ball therefore we got all the frees that the north fans were bitching about. second half it was stand back and watch stuff when north upped the ante a bit. still in it at 3/4 time but the last quarter was really back to the bad old days.
still, 3-4 good recruits in the off season, continued improvement in what weve got now and well be right in the mix next year.Ron is really making a difference I reckon. We had a bloody young team out there yesterday north had 15 players older than 23 we had 3.North had 11 players who had played more than 50 games we had 2. puts things in perspective really.
danny del re

Back to top Go down

Post by panther67 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 pm

If we had won that game then I feel we may have turned the corner and shown some positives next week against the bays. I really hope that we can show something in the last two games otherwise we will be left listening to the spin over summer of how we are re building yet again.

panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 pm

I was confident all week that we would have beaten North last Saturday and won well. I arrived at half time of the reserves, the scoreboard showing North ahead, after watching the last half unfold and going down, I started to really worry that the same thing was going to happen in the League game.

We got off to a good start, playing in front, denying North the ball, keeping them under pressure and exposing their weaknesses, South really controlled the game and I had no reason to doubt or deny us the win that we have been working for for some time. We all know what happened next.

The thing is, this year we have built a new rung for the bottom step of the ladder that we are desperately rebuilding each year, with one major difference, this year the new rung has been replaced with a steel one (not made of flimsy balsa wood ) and welded firmly in place, something to support us, not collapsing under the weight of expectations.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Yes, I like all posters here were bitterly disappointed with the result at prospect; Even more perplexing was we were supposedly coming home with a strong breeze last qtr, got to within 6pts 4mins into last qtr, only to be outscored 8 goals to 2 in the remainder of the game; While I am sure there are high expectations from supporters & I would hope from within the inersanctum of the club there is also a sense of realism & trepidation of the inevitable, based on our history... Damn I'm sick of losing... On a positive note, snr players such as Dugga & Cocky should be commended the way the take time out to speak to supporters after the game. I've been to a few after match presentations, my 2 young daughters are their biggest fans (next generation of Southies)...& they always take the time to speak to them & acknowledge their support.....Bring on the Bays!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum