Memembership 2012

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Memembership 2012

Post by darley16 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 am

Having read on the the club web-site of our new membership packages i have some concerns as the price discriminates against our elderly and country supporters. It appears a money grab in order to service our substantial debt, i hope we aren't returning to the bad old days of the club keeping members in dark until one day we hear through the media a drama at SAFC.

What concerns me further is that i understand a number of members have written and/or spoken with the club about the lack of membership options for country and elderly supporters and have been given the short shift! Not good enough! I can and therefore will pay the membership but there are many others who can't and/or won't, as a lowly supporter based club who has been trying very hard to improve our local supporter base appeal this years membership appears contrary to everything the club has been working hard to achieve. It's not too late to offer concessions to ALL our valuable supporters to become members not just those who can afford it.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Re: Memembership 2012

Post by pantherfromwayback on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 am

I have contacted the club to advise that due to living in the country I will not be renewing my membership this year as it represents very little value at all to me.
Also wondering why members have to read the reasons of the new package strucute on the club website & were not contacted via email as well.

I would encourage anyone who feels the same to contact the club to voice their concerns - the response may or may not be acceptable but at least they know how you feel.
pantherfromwayback

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I have emailed Ben kavenagh on outlining my concerns with my mobile phone number to call me .... I got a short emailed generic response (3 lines) telling me to refer to the clubs website detailing why they are doing it ( getting rid of country and general membership ) I have always stuck up for my club and have never emailed the club before but listening to a few people tell me their concerns over the new membership I thought I had too .... I know people in nursing homes who are proud south members over many years of their lives who now will get no benefit from the new membership structure . I have always stuck up from south but I am finding this decision extremely disappointing Sad I thought I may had a phone call as well ....
At least I have the panther club still Smile

What worries me most .... The club suffering from the decision .... We are all doing it tough with the current economic climate and I think the club also should remember we are not in Norwood or unley .... We need to be there for the people in the community but I don't think we are with this membership set up . I do feel for the elderly , shift workers, military personal, disabled , people in country sa or interstate or even overseas ... It's absolutely useless for them and sadly the club will miss out ... We need to bring these people still to be connected with the club , no alienate them !!! I did outline this in my email to Ben ( CEO) .

Will be interesting to see if the club is listening to the people.

How about offering the general membership with the option of buying a home match ticket or all home and away game ticket??

Until this situation is fixed...I will no longer be a member for which I have been for over 20 years. (will save the money for the Foxtel cup maybe??)

BTW - Please dont use the 4 AFL games excuse as I have no interest in it as to me all that matters is the mighty SAFC...I dont care about any other club.

Thanks

P74

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Very valid points made.
I do work some weekends and cannot attend every game. I probably get to 70%- 80% of our games so purchasing an all matches membership is worth doing, and I will as the money goes to the club.
The problem is their would be quite a few members who maybe only get to see a handful of games and some that would be lucky to see a game at all so it does not make it viable to be a member now.
I understand where south are coming from but I dont think it is the way to go about it.
we are an SANFL club not an elitist AFL club!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I hear the club outlined some very telling points at the AGM, including some figures that show our membership to be not that much lower than the likes of West and Eagles, but our income to be only 1/4 of these clubs. Was shocked to learn that my money I had beeen paying at the gate went to the SANFL and that the clubs makes stuff all from those that just bought a membership without a home game ticket.

If it helps the club, then I'll do it. If there's one thing Ron has bought to the Club it's a 'Club first', individual last attitude.

With all due respect panther 74, I reckon if you put your ultimatum to Ron, he would show you the door in a heart-break.

Let's either get together and give it a crack, it quietly sit back and cop the change. The figures at the end of the year will tell the story - if things go backward, surley they will re-think it then.

Go Panthers.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 pm

FFS. IF YOU LOVE SOUTH AND WANT TO SEE THEM WIN. GO TO THE GAME.

I can not tolerate any further pissweak excuses over what amounts to, nothing. IE: if you love South you go to as many games as you can. If you miss a few, so be it. If you can only get to a few then, buy at the gate.

DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Agree with what you say DOC, but by applying the buy at the gate theory, the club misses out on every former member's $60 financial contribution PLUS I would think it LESS likely that membership new comers are gonna sign up at that price unless they are already going to the majority of matches (in which case you'd assume they are already members!).
I'd prefer they kept an 'entry level' membership, keep the scarf for the 'home game/all game' membership only to increase profits from the $60, and let the interstaters, newcomers, infrequent punters still have an opportunity to financially assist the club and still call themselves 'a South Adelaide Member'.
Personally, the new membership structure won't effect me or my 4y.o. son, but I know 3 current members close to me who it doesn't make sense to support the club in this way in 2012. I think there will be a lot more than that 3 unfortunately.
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 pm

It's an interesting position taken by the club. Not sure scrapping $60 option will ensure take up of season membership alternative. So they must be saying to country people or anyone else who doesnt go to games that your $60 membership does little to help the club. Sure you may think you are helping and feel good about scarf, sticker or pin but you ain't!
It seems to me club has formed the view that total membership numbers are not critical to overall financial position. What percentage of overall revenue are memberships?
Club has been growing home ground attendance is this far more important that people turn up game days? You hear port and crows lament about members not turning up to Aami, do we have similar issue?
I'm not convinced this is right direction by club. You would like to think there is some middle ground so the financially challenged could feel a part of it. But the proof will be all there to see during the year and in finances at seasons end.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PantherRick on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 am

It would be good to see a breakdown of purchased memberships from last year. How many people purchase the $60 membership, home match ticket membership, and also the season ticket membership. Has anyone heard of approx numbers?
PantherRick

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 pm

At the AGM (I can not recall specifically) Ben showed that the cost of administrating the memberships combined with the small amount of souvenir's meant the club was not making much at all. The real issue was that many (not all) of these members do attend home games (and some away). The price of this admission does not go to the club.

That is the why. Will it see an increase in the higher category membership?

Only time will tell.

Perhaps an alternative is a straightout "social" membership with the sticker, badge pin but not any thing else (ie: lower the cost of admin).

I never thought the parking around the ground would work but it did.

I never thought the change of logo would work but it has.

I never thought the alternate jumper would work but it has.

I never thought we would have lights and we have.

I never even thought about having five players in the team of the year but we did it.

I though playing in our country zone was a good idea and it was a disaster.

I thought Daniel Bass was a waste of time and I was very wrong.

I/we may not agree on everything. Maybe if your'e father, uncle, sister, mate etc can't afford the membership, well what an ideal gift. How about 50/50?

I'm more prepared now to give some of the changes time as to be frank, we have genuinely started moving in the right direction. And that direction is the only way I want us to go.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:52 pm

I work on weekends, so only usually get to night games, with the exception of finals!

Maybe the club does not make a lot of money out of the memberships, but alienating people from the club does not help either. The club has plenty of money, people at various stages of the day queue for the Poker Machines in there and they are doing a good job of paying down the debts. Not that people losing their money on Poker Machines is a good thing, yet that is another thread.

Time will only tell what happens. I will not be renewing at this stage but will think about it seriously when round one comes around. I understand the need for the club to catch up to the others in terms of gate receipts and no doubt if people have the season pass then they are a better chance of actually going each fortnight and supporting the club which isn't a bad thing either!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 pm

The club should keep their 60.00 membership My brother inlaw would be lucky to go to more than 2 games a year he was only a member to keep me happy and his son used to play with the club not at league level hes not going to bother any more like he says he used to hate selling raffle tickets end up buying them all For me the membership is great i go to most of the games I support our sponsers when i can) i think its good value
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by westwing on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Goodbye South, just joined West Adelaide for $65.
westwing

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Good Bye!!!! WestWing, have a great time for your $65 bucks
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by countrypanther on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Always looked at this forum but never made a comment but thought I need to with this decision by the club. My wife and I live about 200kms from Adelaide and have been South members for over 40 years. We dont get to travel into Adelaide much but listen to games via radio or if it is on ABC tv.
The new membership deal was a shock to us. We are both on the pension so for us to pay a minimal about of $260.00 for the two of us is just too much for us. We always had the general membership as at least we could keep up with news and feel connected to the club. We are both very sad that this has ended as its not worth it in our situation. I think the club will regret this decision as I know a few others living in our area that are in the same situation.
countrypanther

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm

countrypanther wrote:Always looked at this forum but never made a comment but thought I need to with this decision by the club. My wife and I live about 200kms from Adelaide and have been South members for over 40 years. We dont get to travel into Adelaide much but listen to games via radio or if it is on ABC tv.
The new membership deal was a shock to us. We are both on the pension so for us to pay a minimal about of $260.00 for the two of us is just too much for us. We always had the general membership as at least we could keep up with news and feel connected to the club. We are both very sad that this has ended as its not worth it in our situation. I think the club will regret this decision as I know a few others living in our area that are in the same situation.

Read the brochure properly - If your both on a pension then you would qualify for the $80 membership, which include all home games - pretty good value
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by countrypanther on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Not with 200kms travel to see all home games.
countrypanther

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 pm

westwing wrote:Goodbye South, just joined West Adelaide for $65.

Despite being an ardent SAFC supporter I often call in at the West Adelaide FC as its not far from my work and its incredibly good value, they regularly have 2 for 1 meal nights and all children eat for free on Saturday. The membership qualifies for further discounts, so its not hard to see why people would want to be involved. A Penrith Panthers Membership used to be all of $50 with a $50 drinks card sent out to members every Christmas. The memberships make the club little money, what they are interested in is people in through the door which is where they make the coin. South will get the same amount of coin coming through the gate when we see similar levels of success to other sides that are competitive in the SANFL. Souths poor take is a result of a number of years of poor quality play on the field and a reluctance to address the issue. Now something is being done, it will turn back our way. Booting members out of the club as above is a huge step backwards however IMO.

Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danny del re on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 am

Cant for the life of me work this out. Our club is great,but is it that good that to be a basic member you have to pay double the membership of a rival club?

I have a mortgage and 3 kids,work alternate weekends so the 130 bucks is out of the question for me.
danny del re

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 am

Same Danny del re .....bizarre really ... Mortgage , kids , shift work ... Can't work it out . Neutral
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by CanberraPanther on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:28 pm

I barracked for the Panthers when we lived in Adelaide when but I moved when I was in my early 20s for work; I can't get to any games from Canberra but was happy to be a member for $60 to stay in touch with things, get the magazine etc but I can't justify the sort of money it costs this year. And if I sign the rest of the family up I might as well take out another mortgage! Times are tough so luxuries are the first to go, and being a member of a football club with match tickets that you never use is definitely a luxury. Its funny, its almost better value to be a member of the Panther Club, even if I don't get to use the BBQ vouchers, as they've put a lot of money into the lights and other projects. And $10-15 is a lot easier to find than $130!
CanberraPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

CanberraPanther wrote:I barracked for the Panthers when we lived in Adelaide when but I moved when I was in my early 20s for work; I can't get to any games from Canberra but was happy to be a member for $60 to stay in touch with things, get the magazine etc but I can't justify the sort of money it costs this year. And if I sign the rest of the family up I might as well take out another mortgage! Times are tough so luxuries are the first to go, and being a member of a football club with match tickets that you never use is definitely a luxury. Its funny, its almost better value to be a member of the Panther Club, even if I don't get to use the BBQ vouchers, as they've put a lot of money into the lights and other projects. And $10-15 is a lot easier to find than $130!

$10 for the Panther Club and gives you tickets to anything on the BBQ on home games plus a pendant. (at about $5.00 a steak sanna for say 10 home games that's $50.00!!)

They have done and still do wonderful work for the club over the years. I'll be sticking to that this year. It's awesome value for your dollar and the volunteers at the BBQ put on a great feed too!! Very Happy

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Having started this thread it's interesting to note the responses and the variety of views held. Overwhelmingly the message is clear, change the 2012 membership package...NOW!
Maybe this is the result of having no longer a Marketing Manager in that membership is handed to someone with little experience, knowledge or time to consider the ramifications of poorly structured membership arrangements.
If any official from the clubs reads these posts on this site (which i doubt) then take notice of what the members, thereby owners/stakeholders of the club want and provide some concessions to the package, it's not too late.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 pm

darley16 wrote:Having started this thread it's interesting to note the responses and the variety of views held. Overwhelmingly the message is clear, change the 2012 membership package...NOW!
Maybe this is the result of having no longer a Marketing Manager in that membership is handed to someone with little experience, knowledge or time to consider the ramifications of poorly structured membership arrangements.
If any official from the clubs reads these posts on this site (which i doubt) then take notice of what the members, thereby owners/stakeholders of the club want and provide some concessions to the package, it's not too late.

Like you Darley16 I've read these posts and find this whole episode quite amazing.
Personally i have always purchased a season ticket so this isnt an issue for me, but I can understand it is certainly a big concern for many. Times are tough economically and the area where we draw our membership from is certainly affected by these hardships, probably more than most. As previously stated many members work shifts and weekends and therefore would find it difficult to attend games on a regular basis and therefore a season ticket becomes irrelevant in their eyes. We have a very low membership and I can only see this diminishing our numbers even lower.

Unlike you though Darley I do believe the officials of the club read these posts. Surely the club has to reconsider the decision to abolish the basic membership.
If they do not, and those affected feel they still want to be a part of the club ,I suggest that they take out a Panther Club membership. The Panther Club raise a lot of money for the club and have provided a lot of funds to the club over the years to be spent on capital works. Every dollar that goes that way is a dollar very well spent in my opinion.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
darley16 wrote:Having started this thread it's interesting to note the responses and the variety of views held. Overwhelmingly the message is clear, change the 2012 membership package...NOW!

Like you Darley16 I've read these posts and find this whole episode quite amazing.
Personally i have always purchased a season ticket so this isnt an issue for me, but I can understand it is certainly a big concern for many. Times are tough economically and the area where we draw our membership from is certainly affected by these hardships, probably more than most. As previously stated many members work shifts and weekends and therefore would find it difficult to attend games on a regular basis and therefore a season ticket becomes irrelevant in their eyes. We have a very low membership and I can only see this diminishing our numbers even lower.

Unlike you though Darley I do believe the officials of the club read these posts. Surely the club has to reconsider the decision to abolish the basic membership.
If they do not, and those affected feel they still want to be a part of the club ,I suggest that they take out a Panther Club membership. The Panther Club raise a lot of money for the club and have provided a lot of funds to the club over the years to be spent on capital works. Every dollar that goes that way is a dollar very well spent in my opinion.

Well said B&W.

I am sticking to the Panther club...always have done for many years.

BTW has anyone got any response from the club as yet?(or do I just live with my 3 line email reply from BK to refer to the clubs website???)

From today I know of 4 people not renewing in 2012.

This will back fire and alarm bells should be ringing!!!! Embarassed
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum