Memembership 2012

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Memembership 2012

Post by DOC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

westwing wrote:Goodbye South, just joined West Adelaide for $65.
Go. Given your'e profile name, I doubt that you were ever a South member. I may be wrong. As if the cost of a membership for the club is even an issue if you are prepared to give it to an opponent.

Last edited by DOC on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:18 pm

countrypanther wrote:Always looked at this forum but never made a comment but thought I need to with this decision by the club. My wife and I live about 200kms from Adelaide and have been South members for over 40 years. We dont get to travel into Adelaide much but listen to games via radio or if it is on ABC tv.
The new membership deal was a shock to us. We are both on the pension so for us to pay a minimal about of $260.00 for the two of us is just too much for us. We always had the general membership as at least we could keep up with news and feel connected to the club. We are both very sad that this has ended as its not worth it in our situation. I think the club will regret this decision as I know a few others living in our area that are in the same situation.

They will not regret it all. Do not fool yourself that a person who does not attend matches is a loss.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 pm

countrypanther wrote:Not with 200kms travel to see all home games.

Well, if you're not a supporter, don't buy a membership. Its not compulsory.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Ben W wrote:
westwing wrote:Goodbye South, just joined West Adelaide for $65.

Despite being an ardent SAFC supporter I often call in at the West Adelaide FC as its not far from my work and its incredibly good value, they regularly have 2 for 1 meal nights and all children eat for free on Saturday. The membership qualifies for further discounts, so its not hard to see why people would want to be involved. A Penrith Panthers Membership used to be all of $50 with a $50 drinks card sent out to members every Christmas. The memberships make the club little money, what they are interested in is people in through the door which is where they make the coin. South will get the same amount of coin coming through the gate when we see similar levels of success to other sides that are competitive in the SANFL. Souths poor take is a result of a number of years of poor quality play on the field and a reluctance to address the issue. Now something is being done, it will turn back our way. Booting members out of the club as above is a huge step backwards however IMO.

You can't be both an ardent South Supporter and yet a bigger supporter of West. You have actually summed up the point Soj.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 pm

danny del re wrote:Cant for the life of me work this out. Our club is great,but is it that good that to be a basic member you have to pay double the membership of a rival club?

I have a mortgage and 3 kids,work alternate weekends so the 130 bucks is out of the question for me.

So, do you go. If yes, its beneficial and a cost saving. If you don't go. don't pay. Easy.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Doc these people are simply voicing "their" concerns! Membership gives supporters a feeling of belonging!
I will always renew my membership but its not all about me!
Maybe its not just about money, maybe principle??
We live in a democracy and there is no harm in voicing your concerns!!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Quite right. The best thing is, we don't have to agree and we can say so.

Clearly, and at the risk of re repeating myself, if you can't afford it then pay at the gate (I am well aware this does not go to the club, but better being there cheering em on than not going at all).
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by countrypanther on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 pm

DOC wrote:Quite right. The best thing is, we don't have to agree and we can say so.

Clearly, and at the risk of re repeating myself, if you can't afford it then pay at the gate (I am well aware this does not go to the club, but better being there cheering em on than not going at all).

Why are we the only SANFL club that does it?

I would have thought more members and people going to the grounds would be of importance than being seen as greedy and getting all the money at the gate ??? Im sure our pokies are pulling in enough to keep the club going ???We should be seen as lucky as we are in a better postion than most SANFL clubs.

What has happenned to our little catch phase " South Adelaide Football Club...part of the community"???

countrypanther

Back to top Go down

Post by panther67 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm

I think that the club should have a base membership for country supporters.
I work overseas so can only get to 1/3 of the games at best but don't mind paying the full membership to support the club. But as stated above I think getting more people to the ground is paramount so I think that the club has made a mistake here

panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by Weasel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm

DOC wrote:
countrypanther wrote:Not with 200kms travel to see all home games.

Well, if you're not a supporter, don't buy a membership. Its not compulsory.

Mate, i live in Port Lincoln, get to two maybe three games if I'm lucky. I like being a member, feels good. If you think losing Members is not a loss, aside from the financial aspect where maybe no money is made, you have no idea. We need Members, and I am another loss on that yearly count.

Weasel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Weasel, just to help me on this debate - when you note that we don;t make money from certain members and they don;t get to games; but we need them - can you advise what benefit these type of members are? I would have thought other than either visual and / or financial support would be the main reason (if not only reasons) why Clubs chase members? Not trying to be smart, just trying to understand your argument?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm

These members are probably country members, interstate people, shift workers, military personal, people in nursing homes, people who work in retail on weekends, people with sick family members, overseas people......need I go on???

They would have been happy to pay the general membership without the match tickets.....but its pretty obvious the club does not want their money anymore as they saw it as a big "loss".....as they were not making anything from it.

Im sure it would have been great to see a country member or someone interstae/overseas display the SAFC car sticker on their car......gives the club a great promotion and like weasel said "it make him/her FEEL GOOD!!!" Thats what matters the most......being part of a club you might not see every week but you feel a connection and bond with it. It makes you feel proud....

Please look at other clubs websites membership packages and they all have a country option......to not have this by SAFC is in my opinion.....a complete slap in the face for the people of the country. Are we not affiliated with the SFL, GSFL, K.I league ????

As you can see with most of these responses......the majority of people on this forum think its a bad decision and idea.

Has anyone had any response as yet from the club???
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Weasel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 pm

The above covers it completely.

We also look terrible enough as it is with our Membership figures compared to other clubs and now we are ceasing to provide an option to passionate supporters who can't get to games.

I used to take Memberships forms to Panther mates and basically make them sign up and get a few stickers on cars around Lincoln. Now i'm not even a Member....
Weasel

Back to top Go down

Post by countrypanther on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Great post Panther74.

Sums it up really.

Some posters here really need to get out of their bubble. I was the same as I used to display my car sticker around here in the town or at my local country football ground and would get asked sometimes in the Main Street or at games by people about my support for South , like "South are going well , ain't they?"
My wife and I enjoyed watching it on ABC TV or listening to a game via the Internet or radio. Management need to wake up to themselves!!!Country people are getting a raw deal here!!!
countrypanther

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

so to clarify, the benefit for OUR Club from members who do not buy season tickets and don;t go to games is ... displaying their sticker on their car and ???

anyway - It's clear some opinions differ - some want the Club to keep providing then somthing that the Club does not benefit from (other than having a sticker displayed on their car); some are keen to answer the Clubs request to invest their money, if possible, in a way that benefits the Club.

I'm not a regular attendee for various reasons, which probably won't change, but I'm happy to find another couple of bucks t assist the Club ... and to be able to tell my mates "I'm a South member" in september when we in the finals.

Probably a waste of time, but reckon we need to let this thing play out and see what happens ... outsiders seeig this bickering on public forum must think we still have that old South mentatilty which I read Ron term as "what the Club should do me me", rather than what he has created "what can I do for the Club".

That's it for me on this issue.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by pantherfromwayback on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Members who can't get to games still make the club money in other ways, I'm in Adelaide next week, and would normally take the family to jimmys for a meal ( justifying the trip cos im a member) now it's gonna be even harder to convince them it's worth the 40 minute drive down
pantherfromwayback

Back to top Go down

Post by Weasel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 pm

The club has plenty of dough, surely we can offer a country membership that I'm sure would not be costing the club thousands of dollars. I'm done too on the issue, I'll still follow the club passionately until the day i die. Just dissapointed I'm not seen to be valuable as a Member, even if only for the number factor
Weasel

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 am

I for one never knew that the SANFL pocketed the money from tickets purchased at the gate until I read the website. With the price of daily tickets rising dramatically to $14 over the last few years it makes perfect sense that the club is encouraging supporters to spend a bit more to get more. I have already purchased the new all games membership for 2012 and can't wait for the trial games to start. Equally I'm just as excited that all my money now directly goes back into the clubs coffers.

Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Renewed mine and my Son's membership yesterday... Somehow ended up with my ugly mug on the membership brochure so kind of felt obliged... Laughing
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum