Away Guernsey

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Away Guernsey

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Hey just checking out the SAFC merchandise & see a new hooped guernsey with description 'Official Onfield as worn by players'; To my knowledge haven't heard anything official from the club; Anyone heard anything?.....might add at first glance it looks good

Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Re: Away Guernsey

Post by darley16 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 am

SHITHOUSE!!!! We are not Geelong FC. Absolute discrace, why were not the members canvassed. Firstly the club buggers up membership for 2012 now this disrepectful rubbish! What was wrong with last years alternative strip, that was excellent, this is just insulting!!!!! Really REALLY PISSED OFF!!!!
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:52 am

I couldn't see it anywhere? If it is true the Club did wear a hooped guernsey in past era's so how can it be disrespectul or insulting?
Bit surprised the Club would change strips after a year.
People could probably suggest we aren't Carlton FOotball Club either, but we have a similar jumper and theme song?
Not sure you want to be analysing that side of it too closely.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

The hooped jumper was only in the 1950's for a short period and speaking with our great Jim Deane who had his photo taken in this jumper he told me once he wished that jumper was never intoduced as he felt it wasn't the South Adelaide look.
As far as our traditional blue jumper we has that way back in early 1900's not so sure we copied Carlton FC on that one. Theme song only recently changed and of little consequence, however guernsey change that recognises a club's history and branding is significant. Ask the Port Magpies to prepare an alternative jumper that doesn't reflect their historic jumper and stand back for the response. We are also a historic club with our traditional jumper recognised by many in the SANFL as one of the better designs and is immediately recgonised as South Adelaide. This Geelong FC wannabe let's us all down.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

as long as it's an alternate jumper (and we win games in it) I'm not fussed.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 am

Interesting the club has just removed the photo of this jumper from the web-site!? Like Premier Panther i saw the photo under merchandise on the web-site this morning and now its removed. What's going on?
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Per Darley16, yes quite ironic it's been removed from the web site now; Re: my original comments don't mind the design, looks a strong strip, not like the rubbish of WWT (But hey they won the flag so they have the last laugh) I guess it's all about opinion; Appreciate views of others re: maintaining tradition, as I was originally opposed to an away/clash strip in the first place; It is disappointing there was no prior communication or consultation with members.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:19 pm

i actually like it
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Havent seen it but if it was worn in the fifties for a short while it is still part of our history and I have no problem with that!
Sure our primary guernsey has to be The Navy blue, but alternate strips that draw on our past histiory are fine with me, so long as they are done with taste!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Interesting to note that the "photo of the week" on our web-site is of a South side in 1908 in a dreadful hooped guernsey, thereby justifying the inevitable introduction of the Geelong FC wannabe that is about to thrust upon us claiming some history to a jumper like that.
Still doesn't make it right, particularly when last years alternative jumper received such high praise from all Southies as that guernsey was SAFC....unlike this piece of cr@p!
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:57 pm

The Guernsey is not "CLAIMING" to be part of our history it "IS" part of our history and "IF" it is to be our away guernsey this year, then I recon it looks great! Cheers
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Chill Pills Darley - all will be OK farao
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:30 pm

I wonder if there was such an outcry in the early 1900's when we changed from our traditional jumper to the jumper we know today?
What did your great great grandfather think about that Darley16?
I reckon he might think our navy blue jumper is an outrage!
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 am

Vigilance, constant vigilance is required if our history of 130+ years is to be maintained. All it takes is some Jonny-come-lately "marketing guru" to change our guernsey, name (South Coast Winestompers), colours etc to reflect the "changing times" and hey presto the club we all love no longer has any resemblance to what has been preserved and treasured for so long by so many.

Grand old clubs (Port Adel, Collinwood) protect against such things with vigilance and pride in their history by seeing it is maintained and not tinkered with or constantly changed depending upon trends of the times. My fight, our fight should be against the introduction of change for change sake only to allow for the thin edge of wedge to eventually overthrow all our tradition and proud heritage.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:17 am

I don't think Darley16 is going to let it go.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:37 pm

LOL Very Happy , Handball Happy i've expressed my views, that's it.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Handball Happy wrote:I don't think Darley16 is going to let it go.

Can very easily see it from his point of view though!

I will add to the above though and say that it is quite factual that we had a hooped Guernsey as our original Guernsey. We also had for a very short time a Guernsey with the S and the A next to each other rather than crossed over and I have contacted Ben K on a previous occasion to discuss with him having either of these Guernsey's out again in Heritage Round, a concept which the SANFL seems to be losing touch with in recent years.

Have no knowledge of this current idea though, but will begin to make some enquires though and will post back what I can find out!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

as long as we don't introduce teal to our jumper like the grand old traditional port side, I'm happy.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 pm

I love our guensey but if there are designs worn yesteryear that look the goods why not wear them as an away guernsey/ clash strip?
I am not approving some new wave crap design only anything with historical value!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Ben W wrote:
Handball Happy wrote:I don't think Darley16 is going to let it go.

Can very easily see it from his point of view though!

I will add to the above though and say that it is quite factual that we had a hooped Guernsey as our original Guernsey. We also had for a very short time a Guernsey with the S and the A next to each other rather than crossed over and I have contacted Ben K on a previous occasion to discuss with him having either of these Guernsey's out again in Heritage Round, a concept which the SANFL seems to be losing touch with in recent years.

Have no knowledge of this current idea though, but will begin to make some enquires though and will post back what I can find out!

I see Darley16's point and do agree that we should have been given a say on the matter at least!!! (like the insulting membership issue!!) Evil or Very Mad

Ben W, good luck in getting in contact with BK ..........let me know how you go.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 am

my picture seems a little silly, i love last years away gurnsey
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:17 pm

I agree with you panther74 - how rude by Ben K. You e-mailed him .... and he responded by e-mail - disgrace Rolling Eyes

I also hear there is a new sponsor sign to be put in on the forward pocket - how does this sort of thing just keep happening without member consultation?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Ryan are you deliberately trying to provoke Darley16 by showing that abhorrent hooped jumper from our past?
He was starting to make progress.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:51 pm

The Growl wrote:I agree with you panther74 - how rude by Ben K. You e-mailed him .... and he responded by e-mail - disgrace Rolling Eyes

I also hear there is a new sponsor sign to be put in on the forward pocket - how does this sort of thing just keep happening without member consultation?

Whatever growl.......yes he did respond .... I asked Ben w to let me know the outcome.

Chill out mate .... Touchy , touchy!!!! Laughing
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Panther74 wrote:
The Growl wrote:I agree with you panther74 - how rude by Ben K. You e-mailed him .... and he responded by e-mail - disgrace Rolling Eyes

Whatever growl.......yes he did respond .... I asked Ben w to let me know the outcome.

Chill out mate .... Touchy , touchy!!!! Laughing

It's "The" Growl to you.

What say we all get back to focusing on supporting our (soon to be) great club?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum