Centrals v South review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Centrals v South review.

Post by blueandwhite on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Travelled to the Ponderosa today for the first time in many ,many years.

Came away very disappointed. We were definitely in a position half way through the third quarter to win the match but fell in a screaming heap in the last quarter. Centrals play the wide expanses of their home ground very well, they spread very well from the stoppages and used the legspeed of Symes and Boyd very well. All of their forwards had plenty of space to work in and always played in front.We were very good in patches but were unable tosustain to control the momentum for long periods of time that are required to win games against really good teams.
We currently have a few deficiencies. The elephant in the room for me is the inability for us to recruit/find a big strong mobile key defender in the off season- a centre half back. The likes of Tarq Brown, McNamara ,and when fit Thewlis,Crate and Veide are too small to compete against the big forwards of the sanfl. They are more suited to take a third tall or a small.We are desperately stretched at the back and the opposition realise this and use it to their advantage.

I believe we really lack experience and with that-poise under pressure; that leads to poor decision and skill errors- and against a side like centrals, they make you pay every time.
I thought Brooksby and Bass were great, and the usual suspects in Cross and Liddle were good too. Stribling to me looked to be carrying some sort of injury and struggled a bit, particularly in the second half.
In my humble opinion a couple of our bigger name recruits really struggled today, and are yet to pick up the pace of the sanfl.Tough one against the inform Bays next week- we must win. Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: Centrals v South review.

Post by Panther74 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Good post B&W.

Centrals played the ground beautifully. Keeping it wide where we had to chase them. Symes and Boyd stand outs that we seemed to play catch up footy with.
Like I have said in previous posts on other footy web sites....our defense really worries me. I would love to have Wundke and McKernnan in the forward lines and maybe drop Ainger back to CHB so something like he did last year (just a suggestion) but we dont have them so we really need a tall defender.
The usual suspects in Liddle, Cross busted their guts out today and you could really see the guys at the end of the game hurting. I really felt sorry for them as its always them that seem to be the ones week after week putting their body on the line when others go missing. Total respect these guys and they are the envy of every SANFL club out there.
Stribling looked injured but kept trying.
Bass was solid up forward and week after week his confindence grows.
I also liked the young lad , Miller on his 2nd game and I see a big future with him. Rolfe good today too.
B&W, I agree with you. The "big" named recruits have struggled. By now I would have expected a little more from them. I know its early but with their experience I would be hoping for more.
Once again, we had that game by the 3/4 time siren. We did not finish it off like Sturt the other week. Im worried.
We have not played 4 1/4's of good footy so far this year.
To be honest, I would not have thought South would be where they are at the start of the year....not just me but rival supporters too. We are better than this. We were predicted top 5 by many but so far looking at other sides we are no where near this yet.
We need to win this Friday night and get as many South suporters out there...even met for a drink before to support them. (I dont want to be the only bloke with a South Scarf at the Holdy!!! Embarassed )I personally cant stand the Bays ( for many reasons Evil or Very Mad ) I actually played under age footy there....its a game that just 'has" to be won.
We need to regroup, focus and get on with it. Its still early so lets hope we can come back from here....see you out there Friday night!!! Wink

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Cant add much to the 2 posts above. Well said guys. Yet another disappointing trip to the kennel and some longer term concerns emerging.

Suddenly feels a long time ago we ran all over the Bays on their home deck, and then again at Footy Park. Huge game coming up.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by panther67 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:04 am

I didn't see the match but it sounds like it was our usual few doing all the work again. On a positive note it was a few years ago when we where losing by 100+ points consistantly BUT after last year and with the recruits we have I am very dissapointed as well.

As usual we liive in hope

Any word on how the U16s and U18s went. As posted on another thread this is a very big concern.
panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 am

We've been in every game this year, even led after half time in all games. Yet can't finish it off. Need that big imposing defender but can only assume club hasn't been able to find one as it is a glaring weakness. Not sure on Mcnamara. Crabby is really struggling too.

Recruits haven't had same impact as others before them. Houlihan has been awful past fortnight.
Hopefully playing Bays brings out best in us again.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 am

Id have to agree with all earlier posts. To PANTHER67 we lost in all grades we are bottom in all junior grades. Our recruits this year bar our local lads coming back have been disapointing To me our recruits this year have to be in our best half a dozen best players thats were our improvement will come from
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 pm

panther67 wrote:I didn't see the match but it sounds like it was our usual few doing all the work again. On a positive note it was a few years ago when we where losing by 100+ points consistantly BUT after last year and with the recruits we have I am very dissapointed as well.

As usual we liive in hope

Any word on how the U16s and U18s went. As posted on another thread this is a very big concern.

U18s lost by about 6 goals and 16s lost by about 10 goals
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Well summarised fellas! Our recruits thus far for various reasons have struggled to adapt to the rigours of SANFL football, and although they are still young I thought having been on AFL lists for a few seasons they may have hit the ground running.
Hopefully they will hit form as they play more footy!To say we need to win on friday night is an understatement. Another loss and our chances of sneaking into the finals will start to fade! Injuries have hurt us but thats just the nature of football. Some key players should be back in the next fortnight so to jag a win against our nemisis would be so sweet!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Some good points made here. Disappointing start to season, I expected better mind set than the first quarter. Our best is very good but our worst is very poor. The lapses and what looks like lack of application that leads to poor decision making and turnovers lets us down and frustrates coaches and supporters.
Not sure if its lack of leadership on the ground but injuries have not helped. Its still a young inexperienecd team,Wundke Thewlis McKernan are important players and perhaps some recruits need time to settle. I like McNamara but Bollenhagen and Houlihan should be exerting more influence in the game. Rolfe's form is good but Crabb seems to be struggling - our defence is still undermanned.
Did we all expect too much after last season? Perhaps we will get a gradual improvement but results over all grades don't generate a lot of confidence. However we have been in a position to win all 4 games and .....
B&W63

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum