Foxtel Cup Round 1 - Williamstown v South

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Foxtel Cup Round 1 - Williamstown v South

Post by Ben W on Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 pm

What an awesome game! To go over and play on a ground we have not been on for over a 100 years and come away with a win was very satisfying, to do it over the AFL fit 8 odd Western Bulldogs players along with the best players Williamstown could put together made it pretty special!

Bad news is I dont think we will have Ainger past the end of this season, think he will go in the AFL draft as he seems to be improving week by week and is clearly a lad an AFL side could do something with.

Ben Casley finally hit some good form and if he can bring that back with him its going to be another lift to the side. Ky Miller looked really good today as well and again is earning his place on the league list week by week.

Xavier Gotch was another that appeared to take another step up, if he turns out to be another lad in the mould of Nathan Daniel we are not doing bad at all!

At the start of the game the commentary team seemed to feel that the superior fitness of Williamstown would get them over the line and clearly the bookies agreed, I smiled when I heard that remark as I knew that our fitness and run would at least match theirs and if they thought they were going to burn off our players down the middle they were very much mistaken! Very Happy I thought we adapted well to the MCG, especially working the switch from the deep pockets one to the other and up the side. Our defensive pressure was first class, at one point we managed to cut off the ball being kicked three times in a row on half back, frustrating the living suitcase out of our Seagull friends!

Well done South, a very good effort and something to look forward to next time against either the NT or Port Melbourne!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat May 12, 2012 11:36 pm

A very good team effort all day today by our lads, Just got back on the evening flight.

What else would you expect from the Vic biased comentators, they only know what happens in their own little patch of Victoria.

The game started off at a good pace, South pushing goalwards at every opportunity, with Ainger giving them a target up forward, liddle getting plenty of the ball, and Bass was turning Williamstown back on many occasions, our biggest letdown was our lack of positive kicking that kept letting Williamstown back into the game. The tackling and smothering by both sides especially South kept Williamstown under pressure and turning the ball over repeatedly, by this stage Murphy was winning the ball and putting it to good use, Gotch, Cross and Ottens were mopping up the loose balls and giving Ainger every chance to score for us. Wundke presented himself well all day , and was closely checked, by his opponents not giving him a chance to mark and get clean kicks away.

Bad kicking is bad football as South continued to bring the ball goalwards in the third term, the swirling wind at this end of the ground certainly made us pay for non positive football.

The last term was played just as hard as the first three terms, however Williamstown aided by a twp or three goal breeze used the ball better and got their ball movement by hand and foot working a lot better than South, however we managed to steady enough to run out winners by 5 points.

Congrats to all the South boys for taking the game serious, the maybe 250 supporters that made the trip to the MCG, we outnumbered the locals who live 30 mins down the road by about 2:1. The next round is in a few weeks time, lets hope we put in a similar effort as we did today and keep the South Banner flying high.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun May 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Just arrived home from the game. A really great experience for all concerned. A nalbiting finish after we dominated possession but kicked very poorly for goal. Cant wait for the next one!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun May 13, 2012 4:38 pm

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun May 13, 2012 4:58 pm

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Mon May 14, 2012 10:20 am

How bloody good was that!!! If that doesnt boost confidance and morale for the rest of the season nothing will. Easily my most memorable south game i have witnessed, hopefully theres a SANFL grand final in the next few years to take over that title. Also "seagulls" has to be one of the worst names of a football team i have ever heard.
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 am

Two good things came from that game.
1. No injuries (or so we understand)

2. At last, the perfect SAFC jumper! Very Happy
Large bold and proud SA logo unclutered by advertising and its taken a Corporate TV channel to get it right. Again on this years jumper the SA logo has been made smaller to satisfy a sponsor, as a past South player once said, "it's a pity of clubs proud SA logo on the front of our jumper gets in the way of the advertising".
I hope the club sells the Foxtel jumpers at the merchandise shop i want to buy a couple!
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradigm_shift on Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 pm

For those that don't know the replay of the game can be seen at

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/17333/Default.aspx#fixtureid=7909&tab=MatchVideo
Paradigm_shift

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Just got back from Melbourne last night after staying with friends who came to the game and barracked for the Mighty Panthers.
Cracker game apart from our poor goal kicking (should have had the game won on the scoreboard by 3/4 time). Some really good performances, particularly 3 smothers in a row!!
Wonderful to see so many South supporters in fine voice and enjoyed Friday evening. Hope we can continue the form.
Go PANTHERS Very Happy
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum