Norwood on Friday night

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Norwood on Friday night

Post by the prowler on Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 pm

A big task ahead of the boys this Friday night, Norwood have their heads up and taking all before them.

Can the Panthers recover from our last outing against the Bloods and show a reversal in form against a quality team, lose this one will not be the end of our season, lose it badly, will almost wreck it.

We do play good football at night, having Ainger back up forward will give a target to put the ball to good use, we just need to support Liddle, Stribling, Wundke, and Murphy more all over the ground. We can take it right up to Norwood this friday evening.

see you all there........
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Re: Norwood on Friday night

Post by southernladbornandbred on Tue May 29, 2012 4:56 pm

will be a tough game for us, but i think if we show up to play and they underestimate us and take it easy, they could be in with a shock and an upset could be on the cards.
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Tue May 29, 2012 6:22 pm

A tight back line, moving the ball quick to break lines, kicking deep into the forward line , taking marks and kicking the goals that have to be kicked will win it for us. I think this game will be a lot closer than people think. Panthers by 7 points!
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradise Panther on Tue May 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Ainger appears he will be fit to play. I reckon if McKernan plays which will be likely, throw him down back given our lack of tall defenders at present. Should be a good night for running players so hopefully ours come out on top.
Paradise Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Weasel on Thu May 31, 2012 9:48 am

Ky Miller back in Pt Lincoln tomorrow for Grandpa's funeral so will be having a kick over here on Saturday. Good to see him back for my club, but hopefully he gets back to League level real quick. He has the makings
Weasel

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 am

I thought that was why he didn't play against West?

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Weasel on Thu May 31, 2012 10:25 am

That was when he died, Funeral tomorrow. The indigenous always come together for family deaths and really feel the loss hard (as we all do), they have massive funerals over here.
Weasel

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu May 31, 2012 6:14 pm

F. ROLFE WUNDKE BROOKSBY
HF. CROSS AINGER DANIEL
C. MURPHY OTTEN O’SHEA
HB. STRIBLING CRABB THEWLIS
B. REDIGOLO TARQUIN BROWN REDDEN
FOLL. BASS HOULIHAN LIDDLE
INT. CASLEY GOTCH SANDERY DE VISSER TAYLOR
INTO 23 Scott Taylor Cameron De Visser Andrew Ainger Josh Thewlis
OUT Jake Veide – Hip Shaun Mckernan – Quad
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Agree with you Prowler respectable effort required against a competent side with no blowout. Our best effort could win it and they have to trip up sometime. We have played well against them in the past and we play good night football.
Good lineup and we have some excellent contributors .... Go ypu mighty Panthers

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by UKPanther on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Feeling optimistic tonight. If we do lose the next six games are winnable so not all is lost. Would be nice to get one over on Norwood and would really boost confidence. Keeping my fingers crossed from afar! :-) Go Panthers!

UKPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 am

After playing some of our best footy for the year in the second term, what followed was could only be described as inept and dumb. The risk taking, breaking the lines, clean and direct type of footy was replace by mucking around at half back before bombing long to 1 on 2 contests time and time again. The Nwd backs rebounded the ball with ease after half time and were efficient going forward (very similiar to what Westies did last round).

Norwood were always going to 'up the ante' after half time, but yet again we were left behind. Really disappointing loss this one.

Ressies result again poor, particularly given we needed Cobbie to pull the boots on?!

It was a perfect night for footy, should have been bigger crowd there.

Sorry for the pessimism. St Kilda and South losing tight ones on the same night makes for a grumpy Saturday morning!

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I think what it truly shows is we are not far off the mark just need a couple of very good recruits to plug up the gaps we have at present.
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:13 pm

To black panther to me we need about seven very good recruits to give Ronnie some depth in the club he must be tearing out his hair out when he looks out at our other grades scores if you took out our recruits from our team on friday night we would get beaten by 15 to 20 goals a game
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:10 pm

paul wrote:To black panther to me we need about seven very good recruits to give Ronnie some depth in the club he must be tearing out his hair out when he looks out at our other grades scores if you took out our recruits from our team on friday night we would get beaten by 15 to 20 goals a game

And thats the disheartening thing. All teams need recruits to lift their standard, thats understandable, but our local product cannot take the game by the balls and rip 'them' apart to give us an edge. If we can gather seven really good recruits from somewhere, then our local product will never mount to anything other than a poor reserves side, and if thats the case we will have big problems trying to convince those lads to stay with us in the ressies for 30% of what they can get in other comps.

I have no idea of what out top players get $$$ wise, I just wonder if the gap between those that are at the top is vastly different to those at the bottom, and I will always agree that to get the better players you have to pay accordingly, but somewhere along the line, the last 6 selected have to be given a better incentive to improve them selves on the track, in the weights room and on match days.

Who knows what the right answer is????
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:39 am

Well I'm not sure what we can make of Friday nights game...
Once again our first half especially our second quarter was very good but half way throught the third quarter you got the feeling the inevitable was going to happen... Sad We just seemed to drop off the pace, drop our bundle and roll over.
Norwood however are a very good side, very well organised and its going to take a very good side to beat them this year.We really lack the mental strength to keep at it for 4 quarters; some will say that we have a pile of injuries, but so do other sides; but with our chronic lack of depth, shown by results in other grades and the fact that we had a 35 yo playing in the twos, we are always going to struggle.
Someone said to me once that you are only as good as you 20th and 21st man...and Im sure if you look at other sides and compare , I think we struggle.
While I was sitting in my car waiting for an hour to get out of the carpark(cue BK)..I was thinking about our Brand. The Brand concept has been pushed to our officials, members ands supporters over the last few years. How we should respect our brand, and seek to improve it.It is something Im very comfortable with because a club such as ours- the oldest in sanfl, needs to have solid, prominent, quality profile in our zone and SA.
When I was thinking about this, I thought our supporters must surely be the most loyal, thick skinned,true, rusted on lot any club could wish for.I mean many have jumped off- we havent had any premiership success for 48 years!-yet somehow... we manage to outnumber Williamstown supporters 3-1 at a game on the MCG!!of all places. What does that say about our supporters? It says that the club means a hell of a lot to our very small, yet very loyal band of supporters, so much so that they would take an entire weekend out of their lives and fork out the coin for travel and accom. to travel to Melbourne and back to watch their beloved team.

On the other hand...I wonder how much the Brand really means to the players..?...On the field and off it.
I mean when you look at the names, there are probably only 5-6 in the league side who could be categorized as locals. The rest have been here for varying lengths of time...so when it really comes down to the crunch in a game...when the game is on the line....when the flag needs to be flown...we seem to have rely on "hired guns" .Im not questioning the committment of these guys because we are relying on them so much, and they are indeed carrying the side; but if we had a core group of locally produced players in the league side,who had played in the blueand white since they were 15, would we be more competitive in tight games..? A hypothetical question I know but, an interesting one nonetheless.
So I guess it gets back to the old argument our zone and the inequalities compared to other sanfl clubs and therefore our lack of depth.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Thought about this a bit as like a few others here, I am a little concerned.

The next 2 weeks are critical to our final 5 hopes. Port and Sturt.

My question is how many players in our side would walk into another SANFL club for a start in their league team ATM.???

My choices Liddle, Stribling, Cross, Ainger, Thewlis (when fit), Wundke (when fit) maybe Bass as well. Thats 6 or 7 players.

The usual suspects each week can not be reliable to stand up "week in week out" We need a full team effort but unfortunatley a few have gone missing this year. I dont use injuries as an excuse as all teams have that issiue. Its up or the other players to take on the opportunity of wanting to play for South Adelaide and giving 110%.
The thing is - there is no pressure on them as the ressies and under 18's have been very average this year.

People bring up recruits once again. We do need them. Watching the state game (SA v WAFL) the other week I dont see any reason not to whisper in a few ears to the WA players. It is pretty obvious local recruits are not working. (with maybe only a few).

The recruits that we got this year (to be blunt) have been not been like what I would have expected at the start of the year. It's be disappointing.

I have to saw this year has been one of the more frustrating years as I can see what we are capable of......

Im pretty shattered as I tipped us to be a top 3 or 4 side this year but there has to be a big improvement for that!!

If we dont get some quality recruits in the next few years.....I would hate to see the job Ron lays ahead of him. ...but Im sure Ron loves a challenge!! Smile

Keep the Faith Panther fans!! (but bloody hell its hard sometimes!!)

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:41 am

In a weekend of upsets at AFL and SANFL we should have had our name up there. Second quarter was as good as we had played. Then the familiar happens.
I reckon our recruiting has been pretty good, but has clearly levelled out this year. Houlihan was good though on Friday. Had a solid couple of weeks.
What the results against Norwood show is the gap in home grown talent. It should be the backbone of our side, in reality it is the *#*# end.
How many locals would be in our top 10 or be in our best 21 this year and in future? The cupboard looks bare, can the club survive on takeaway and genuinely challenge for a premiership?
It worries me. Not sure now we will see the success we all dream about. Was optimistic at start of year but we need a run of wins to get me back to that. Next two weeks critical. Must win both. Please may it happen.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 am

At the Chairmans Dinner Doug Robertson said both Nick Liddle and Toby Stibling had re-signed with South for next year Very Happy. Two great signings and one would think players of that calibre wouldn't have made the commitment unless they can see a positive future for themselves and the club. We must remember we won 8 games last year, top five this year was going to be tough and it still is not out of contention, play like we did for a large % of the game against trendsetting Norwood and in a marathon race as a footy season is anything is possible.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Kinda bored so looked at the guys who played bulk of games last year and compared form with 1st half of this season. My 2c worth:

Improved:
Ainger
Liddle (yep, getting better still!)
McKay (until injury)
Rolfe (until injury)

Status Quo:
Bass
Cross
Redigolo
Sandery
Stribling
Veide (until injury)
Wundke

Dropped away:
Brooksby
Carey
Crabb
Daniel (a touch harsh though, love his effort)
Gotch (injuries)
Murphy (really missing his run and inside work)
Thewlis (injuries)

Haven’t included new recruits or AFL listed players. Perhaps harsh on Bass and Redigolo, as they have both shown a bit at times.

Of the recruits few have had the desired impact. Perhaps only Houlihan in recent weeks could be given a pass mark. Redden has shown a little bit. Bollenhagen could have been a player but turned into a bust for the club.

Given the even nature of the comp though we're still in the finals mix. Hopefully things start to click in 2nd half of season!

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the veteran on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:14 pm

It does not help with the lack of depth but I think South are going pretty well.
You have depth you create pressure and it helps cover injuries. Kym Cobb running around in the reserves is embarrasing for him and the club Surely we could get some from a local club to try out just for 1 week. A kid who wants to play . Do not except that we cannot fill it Maybe look at mature recruits like Tarquin he has been good there is guys running around in both leagues that may jump at it if the oportunity was presented.
the veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:09 pm

"South are doing pretty well??" ...I would hate to see them when they are not doing well!!!

My grandfather, grandmother, Uncle and dear Mum were all South supporters/members who are no longer with us and they saw one premiership. My fear is I will see NIL...and I want to share it with my young 19 month daughter one day.

This is the attitude "The near enough is good enough" that we must get rid of and just demand success. Getting sick of the excuses year after year....its tiresome.

So far this year has been very disappointing. It must change and change quickly too!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 pm

TO PANTHER 74 totally agree 100 percent Im 52 years of age been a south supporter since 5 years of age i want to see a premiership before my number is up. Im sick of being told theirs allways next year I cant see how one game from bottem is doing well
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 pm

P74 and Paul, I agree with both of you.

Lets face it, we are still not a top 4 side, just making the five is nothing to get excited about, maybe we are not that far from it, however I dont think it will be this year. (I do hope I am wrong)

I am pretty sure that by his second year at the helm, Ron has diminished the idea from the players minds that "near enough is good enough",
concistency is just around the corner now, the corner could be closer than we all think.

I have had a think about the players we have at the moment, my thoughts are that we have 12 players that pick themselves, from there on down it becomes a point of lets hope the other 9 can get the best out of them selves, trouble is, there is nothing pushing from below.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum