Round 12 v Sturt, last chance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 12 v Sturt, last chance?

Post by southernladbornandbred on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Is this our last chance to get our season back on track or will it be all over?
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 12 v Sturt, last chance?

Post by saintal on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Yep. 3-8 record would leave us having to win probably 7 from 9. Aint going to happen. With North and Glenelg regularly winning we're in trouble already.

Sturt in the same boat as us, although they've played 2 less games.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:18 am

Think we might be gone ....Sad

Up to the team to prove me wrong !!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Will still be tipping South to win this week, sometimes a humiliating defeat results in the club standing up the following week and I do feel this is a likely outcome this week - beware the wounded Panther!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:49 am

Two weeks ago I saw the Port and Sturt games as critical to our prospects for this season. From my point of view they were must wins. Was away for the weekend and thankfully missed the game at Alberton where we were apparently humiliated.
The lack of defensive pressure by our forwards has been plain for all to see and was very apparent in our loss to Norwood a couple of weeks ago. The absence of Rolfey has impacted on this area. he has matured a lot this year and when fit he really chases hard and applies a lot of pressure on the opposing teams defenders.
the other factor in this regard is our at times appalling delivery to our forwards from our supposedly gun midfield. Yes we are great at the clearances and contested stuff but how often do we just bomb the ball in the general direction of our talls and hope for the best. How often do we kick to an unopposed defender. Both of these actions result in a quick turnover, and when the same midfielders dont react quick enoughdefensively our defence (fragile at the best of times) is placed under enormous pressure by quality delivery from players streaming down the ground without an opponent and almost zero pressure.
A lot of this can be corrected, chasing and defensive pressure are not skills honed over years of training. They are tasks that require effort ,brought about by desire.
Some of our players are still wallowing in their own percieved glory from strolling around the MCG in a heady daze. They think it is all beer and skittles and things will just happen, I'll leave it to someone else..
Some of our players seem to show great tenacity when it comes to activities away from football, but show very little urgency when they pull on a blueand white jumper which means so much to the very loyal and patient supporters of this grand old club.Its called pride.
Time to put your head over the ball fellas, pull your fingers out, and show some passion, fire and pride.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Here Here B&W!
Current form suggests we'll struggle, but the season is still well & truly alive, such is the close nature of the competition.
There is still time to turn it around.
It won't be easy......
We all know the supporters want it.....but how much do the players?
The challenge is there before them.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:10 pm

League @ 2.10pm
F. TAYLOR WUNDKE PFEIFFER
HF. GOTCH MCKERNAN DANIEL
C. WATSON OTTEN MURPHY
HB. THEWLIS O’SHEA HOULIHAN
B. REDIGOLO REDDEN VEIDE
FOLL. BASS CROSS LIDDLE
INT. AINGER STRIBLING MILLER CRABB ROLFE
INTO 23 Jake Veide Peter Rolfe Xavier Watson Todd Pfeiffer – 1st game if selected from North Adelaide FC
OUT Tarquin Brown – Omitted Ben Casley – Omitted

Reserves @ 11.25am
MOYLE, BROOKSBY, HOURIGAN, DE VISSER, CASLEY, SPENCELY, DOWDELL, PERREY, CUNNINGHAM, LEONARD, GRAHAM, TYSON BROWN, TARQUIN BROWN, BOSLEY, CRATE, IRRA, CAREY, STOLL, SCOTT-COLLINGS, MCMAHON.
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm

A Couple good ins this week, am quietly confident about this game, if the players feel the same should come away with a win, making for an even more enjoyable night at the tonsley Saturday night.
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:33 pm

If we dont beat Sturt with that side this week...well, I'll be stuffed to know whats going on!!

To say a MUST win is a big understatement!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Each of the last 4 losses have made this game more & more important. Side looks good but it did last week too.
Our boys need to come out with the right attitude from the first bounce. Aggression at the ball and some confidence in their skills and belief in each other is what all of us need to see.
Our tackling and defensive 1% efforts particularly in the forward line has fallen away of late, improve that and some good delivery and we will start to gain some confidence again. Our best is good enough to beat most teams if we sustain it. Go You Mighty Panthers
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 am

No excuses this week. Injury list certainly isn't one anymore as we are more or less at full strength perhaps with McNamara the exception.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:34 am

Bobby Carlile an IN for the Panthers...impressive looking lineup now..lets hope they come to play. Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Hopefully Bobby comes with the right attitude. Loved his early days at South, fondly recalling him sneaking down the field and kicking a goal on Waterhouse in that elimination final.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 pm

We're a big side for tommorrow on a small and possibly wet ground, Ainger appears he will be rucking, surely not, big Shaun Mac with DB and Andrew CHF with Bobby CHB is looking good, then again i thought we looked good last week. Pity about Mitch Sandery leaving, one of my favourite players, he will be missed. On the upside wonderful news to have Lids and Toby re- signing for 2013, i hope all on the list follow their lead, once we have stability in the list (and despite our season thus far) it's a good list plus some selective recruiting surely our time is getting closer.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Better effort from South. Came out switched on, fell back into some bad habits during the 2nd term, but managed to play some pretty good footy after half time. Thought Sturt were fairly ordinary for most of the day, particularly their foot skills.

The much maligned Bobby Carlile was good in his return, a few of the mid fielders who had been down in recent weeks had plenty of it but didn't always use it as well as they could have (Stribling, Liddle, Cross, Daniel), while Ainger (4 goals) was the pick of the tall forwards with Rolfe (3) handy also.

Keeps the season afloat, with the help of North going down today. Wont surprise me if a lot of the guys who have played all year get a rest next week.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:13 am

People seem to be keen to focus on the fact that South had an ordinary patch and allowed Sturt to get in front - Some Perspective being that not only did we take the lead back and thrash them to boot, but we did it yet again as an away win! Would be a good thing if we could just do that at home!

I liked the look of Carslile today, I don't think we will have him for long. Port were mad to drop him IMO. Still it was our own league listed players that stood up and won us the match today.

Not wrapped in Casleys form at the moment, will be interesting to see what the club do with the lad, clearly they saw something in him, getting it out of him would be a good thing! If the young lad fires he could well fill a spot in our side and its disappointing to see where his game is at.

Back to todays game, the one other point that I would add is the poor condition of the ground at Unley, which negatively affected the game IMO. Not a good look for the SANFL and something that needs to be resolved ASAP.

Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:57 am

Yes certainly a good win and amuch better effort than the previous weeks debacle. Good contributions from most players saw us win comfortably after abit of struggle in the middle 2 quarters.
I really liked our first 20 minutes into the wind where we attacked the footy and kicked long and quickly to our talls up forward. For some reason our intensity dropped off for the next hour until three quarter time.We seemed to cough up the ball with overuse and poor decision making through the centre of the ground, enabling Sturt to cause mayhem on the counter attack. From then ,thankfully, it was virtually one way traffic when the game was up for grabs at three quarter time.

Personally I thought Bobby was BOG. Strong, surehands and such a great kick - he is definitely what we have been missing in defence this season. The decision by the Power to drop him was sheer lunacy, hopefully the powers to be dont come to their senses for a while and he continues his good form with us . Interesting that he does a reasonable job on one of the AFLs superstars one week and then has to dodge the dog s--t at unley oval the next Rolling Eyes
Thought Bass was very good too, his second and third efforts for a guy his size are fantastic and he provided a good attacking option up forward too.Ainger continues to impress, his improvement this year has been terrific, hope we have him signed for a while because i think he has plenty of upside .
Redigolo is really developing into a solid sanfl player and is rarely beaten in a one on one contest these days. Rolfe and Wundke are the way I see it carrying injuries and definitely need the rest next week.
The game in a fortnight against the Bays looms as being crucial to us now and we'll need all hands on deck,fit and firing. Not sure what approach Ronnie will adopt for the foxtel game on Saturday v Pt Melbourne but lets say, I think most of us will be interested to see the composition of the side.... Rolling Eyes
All in all a good win , but there is alot of hard work ahead of us in what is a very even competition this year.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 am

Agree B&W, really enjoy watching Tarak Redigolo play, and to think he was going to chuck SANFL footy in at the beginning of the year! Dark horse for Knuckey Cup is Tarak, surely the most improved player in the comp. Daniel Bass rucked almost the entire first half has been outstanding, really good team performanance. Now for this weeks team selection, please, please rest at least 10 players who both need rest and are carrying injuries.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 am

Agree darley.... We need to rest players and freshen them up.

I think this will benifit our run home to make the sanfl finals this year.

Hope common sense prevails Smile

I'm sure others might have another opinions.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Andy Ainger on a radio show last night suggested that we'd take our strongest possible team over, but personally I think we'll err on the side of caution a little. I noticed that adelaidenow mentioned that Liddle would rest up this week.

On the topic of guys who have impressed, a must say I've liked the look of young Taylor in his three games so far. Coaching staff obviously impressed also as he was named best last week (when he looked to be about the only bloke out there who gave a stuff) and 6th best against Sturt.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Good win and pleased to see the boys produce an effort that suited the situation definite confidence booster. We won't have Bob very often but our defence needs some of the rebound that he gave.
I'm sure afew players will get a rest this week and it means others get a chance to show what they've got.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum