Why do we loose the close ones?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do we loose the close ones?

Post by darley16 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm

As a 40+ year supporter of South, this year is looking very similar to many more before it, a good team that just can't win close games and loose those they should win, result, no finals, lower ladder finish. I've been lucky enough to get to know 3 players well over the journey, one from the 1980's, 1990's and one just few seasons ago and on reflection they have all told me a similar story about their time at South. Firstly they enjoyed their time at SAFC despite being told by family & friends that upon joining the club that they should have joined other more successful clubs as South are perennial battlers. Secondly, once the loosing of games starts (as happens with all clubs) this is reinforced by those same people that this is what happens at South, "told you so". Thirdly a final reluctant acceptance that this is what he was warned about and while disappointed at playing in a period of little success the enjoyment of playing at the club made up for it.

It therefore seems to me that this message delivered by those close to the player over some time gets into the mind set of the individual and spreads to the group in spite of what is said and done within the club. It becomes intrinsic, in our DNA that this message continues down through the years thereby perpetuating that we're okay but just not "that" good, like those other clubs. Result, what is referred to as a loosing culture, a generational behaviour pattern that becomes the norm.

Three coaches over the past 50 years changed this, Kerley, Bunton & Reid, it can be done! Ron Fuller can also do it and right now in our long history is the place to mark our line in the sand.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do we loose the close ones?

Post by the prowler on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 pm

There are more answers to that question than you can think of.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 pm

None of the 3coaches you note had to deal with the current poor zone! That is the single biggest thing holding us back. If SANFL don't give us a fair go this time around, I will chip in personally to take the cheats to court
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 am

Current zoning does not help our causeā€¦. agreed.
Interesting to hear Mick Malthouse on 5aa speak about Richmond, & I could glean a few similarities.
He felt lack of maturity, particularly in leadership were factors in Richmond's inability to win the close ones.
He spoke of young players looking to the experienced heads & on field leadership in the team particularly in the area of decision making when things get tight.
And we know first hand our decision making & execution in the tight ones has proved pivotal in the final result.
Make of this what you will, however looking in the budget last week the fact that we have no >100 gamers, made me think.
Which then gets back to building our list &retention of experience; The laws of probability suggest we are more likely to retain a locally born & bred than an interstate recruit.
A vicious cycle, getting back to our zoning issue.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradigm_shift on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:02 am

lack of inside 50s.
Paradigm_shift

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Not good enough! Not this season.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:10 pm

panther magic wrote:Not good enough! Not this season.

Not this season or any seasons since 1964 Embarassed
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum