Remainder of the season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Remainder of the season

Post by B&W63 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 pm

I detect that we are all feeling disappointed and a little angry about how the season has gone. A friend and panther supporter asked me a while ago if I thought we had improved and after some thought I said I believed that we had, now I would add but not much.
Yes we are winning more quarters but we can't seem to build confidence from our good form. Our 3rd quarters are pathetic, any leadership disappears and even any fighback doesn't last. Our best footy is great but we don't kill any team off. Our forward line and mid field contains players who would be the envy of most teams, but they each and all (apart from an obvious few) can go missing and let others carry the workload. Our backline have been undermanned all year with injury and inexperience taking its toll.
From what Ron says he is looking to recruit to back our handful of regular contributors. However it takes a while to build any depth, and we have lost some good players this year, but often we display a very poor onfield attitude that breeds bad decision making and lots of skill errors.
I can accept some of whats happened - but lack of the 1% Liddle/Cross type efforts and poor team cohesion/support are actions which we should be able to see from all players. The fact that our boys are hot and cold with it and particularly at home is the most frustrating part in my view.
I believe we need more leg speed around middle of ground and to work really hard at kicking to a target inside 50m, (missing Horne). A strong rebounding CHB wouldn't go astray.
I will go to the last few games hoping mainly to see us earn some respect, with no expectations but if a miracle happens.... Smile We all need to have something that brings us back each week besides just hope.
Come on South!
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Re: Remainder of the season

Post by darley16 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Agree B&W63, also luck plays its part in sport, or footy gods in this case. Loosing Bollinhagen, Keogh, Redden early on plus long term injury to Tom McNamara and Josh Thewlis unsettled what would have been a really well balanced side and in a tight season such as this that hurts. It makes us Southies weep but like others iám looking to see side finish off the season with pride in their performance as there is always next season.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Have to agree. Disappointing and upset is the way I see it, hurting can also be thrown in the mix.

Our back half needs to be strengthened to the point where we can rebound to the forward area without turning the ball over, which I see as our biggest weakness, a lot of times I shudder when I see the ball disposed of the way it is.

Our disposal is really poor at times, which brings undone previous hard work by others, a lot more skill work needs to be done in this area if we are to threaten the top sides. Marking of the ball needs improving by all players as to many easy marks are spilled which result in turnovers against us and easy picking for the opposition to score.

I am the eternal optimistic and I can see no reason why we should not win 3 of the last 4 games and finish the season salvaging some thing out of a disappointing year. I never give up hope.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Just a few comments after reading the above...

I think that last year we were particularly fortunate in that most weeks through the middle of the season we had a full list to pick from.
This year we have had a horror run with injury, defection and in one case stupidity really seeing us unable to put a complete side on the park. In fact I cant recall a game this season where we had even close to a full list to pick from. Some would say we are lacking depth-but so is everyone else..

The competition is particularly even with Centrals, Norwood and West in a league of their own with very little between the rest. We have only managed to win 1 of our home games to date, this is the real concern for me. In most of the home games I have seen we have at some stage been in a positon to win, often capitulating for a quarter here and there, which has proved to be very costly. Had we scrabled home for a win in 4 of these matches- and we certainly had the chance- we would be safely seated in the five and planning our finals participation for the second year in a row.

What we need..
my humble opinion, for what its worth...
we need a tough torrid pre season, to get everyone superfit.
a massive improvement in our skill level-particularly kicking.
we need a tough inside mongrel/on baller with a big body who can throw his weight around -a Ty Allen type comes to mind.
we need a couple of lads with some leg speed that can run through a line and deliver the ball accurately and cover the vast acreage of Hickinbotham Oval easily.
some depth in key defensive positions..

However ,what we need, who is a available, and whether we can get them are the variables...its no easy task trying to recruit- especially from interstate in the current climate.
Our zone is not flush with22 year old 6 ft 4 athletic CHBs either....

We just have to grin and bear it for another year,line up again next year and concentrate on what we can do better, with what we have.

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Great comments people.

I get so frustrated with people coming up to me this year saying " What is going on with South this year??" - hard to answer it.

Its funny, many people see fitness as an issue. Im not sure if that is the only reason as I went out to Prospect at the start of the year and saw South claw their way back from about 4 or 5 goals down at 3/4 time to win that game.

I beleive to be brutally frank here (as I prepare to be shot down!)

- We have no leaders. Like B&W said, we need that Ty Allen type, that Jade Sheedy type...people who can change the game when the chips are down. Someone who is prepared to inspire and put their body on the line for the team. We dont have this. If we did not have Liddle, Cross, Stribling...we would be screwed this year. Our engine room is a shining light this year and carry alot of the weight of others on their shoulders.

- There are 6 to 7 league players. These players are the core of our team. The others need to do more. Get pressure put on them from the ressies to "earn" their spot in the side. It is not a right to be given a game in the league....it should be earnt!!! Other then the 6 to 7 players would the others get a walk up start in Norwood, West or Central ???

-Our recruits (and some from the previous year) have not lived up to the reputation they came to the club with.
I think a few thought it was going to be easy and have been given a rude shock.

- We need a good solid CHB.

-Skill wise needs a major improvement. From some games I have seen we look shocking. This must change.

-The home form. Well , Im not a psychiatrist but this is another area that needs to be looked at. The ground should be a fortress that we should embrace for ourselves. I know as a fact, other teams players absolutely "hate" it playing down at or home ground. If they hate it so much let's make them "hate" it even more.....get them uncomfortable with it and take advantage of them!!!

...anyway, thats a few things I feel needs to be looked whether you agree or not. Just my opinion.

Once again I shall leave with the catch cry of every Panther supporter.....

"There is always next year....."
Sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 am

Some good points there panther. On a positive note, it is good to see most guys have already committed for next year
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am

I have found motivation to post anything on this board lately severly lacking, but agree with most of the points made in this thread.

Depth at the club has been an ongoing issue for years now. Since that 07 ressies GF we have been very ordinary in the 2s, and our U18 have battled also.

If nothing else for the rest of year lets hope we can at least pinch a win and avoid another spoon. Bottom place in a year when the club was very vocal about it's top 3 aspirations aint good.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:47 am

07 reserves gf has proven to be pointless, with very few of those guys now at the club playing league. Depth is certainly an issue, but prefer current approach of quickly elevating talented kids to the reserves rather than playing blokes with minimal prospect of going on the 07 model did
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradise Panther on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:05 am

Lose 4 games by a kick or less, win those and we are well entrenched in the 5. No epic blow outs this as per previous years. Even last year when making the 5 we were belted by 12+ goals by West and Centrals. While its frustrating where we are given our expectations for this year, I don't believe its all doom and gloom.

What has been most disappointing for me is the walk outs. Does that happen at any other club?

What I think we need is to not lose any more senior players at the end of the year, keep developing what we have and go on the hunt (again!) for 'quality' players. Have we lost players like Horne, Lyons, Macleod for good? Would be good to rip a couple of decent players away from successful clubs to get them to bring the knowledge and passion of what it takes to get there.
Paradise Panther

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum