Season 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season 2012

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:16 pm

I guess I will start this topic, because sooner or later someone will!!!
here are my thoughts on the season just completed.Im certainly no expert and none of us are but I guess were all rusted on supporters,is there any other South supporter?? so I guess we have more than a passing interest in what is going on at the Panthers.

I will say that firstly after the appearances in the 2011 finals series we all had some reasonable optimism regarding our prospects in 2013. Personally i think that optimism was justified; we had recruited well...in the off season the inclusions of Mcnamara and Bollenhagen were real bonuses ,thats the way I felt anyway, plus the fact that most of the list was intact from the previous year.

I really think that injury was a major factor in our failure to reach the finals this year. I mean I dont think we ever had a complete list to pick from in any week. Long term injuries to Thewlis, McNamara and McKay and Co. were telling. Our depth whilst improving cannot cover the loss of key players ,yet.

Our committments in the Foxtel Cup were mentioned by some as a reason why we had an ordinary mid season. Im not sure it was the workload over the 2 games that was the issue. Perhaps, and this is my theory,the players got a little bit ahead of themselves, and perhaps a little bigheaded after gracing the turf of the MCG in 2 games..???

Our inability to get over the line in close games was there for all to see and came back to bite us big time. Losing so many close games ...it hurt and in my opinion sapped the confidence of the playing group mid season. One or two wins from those games that got away, would have seen us in the five with a double chance in what has been a very closely contested season.

Our inability to win at home, 2 wins from 10 matches clearly doesnt cut the mustard. Opposition clubs loathe playing at Noarlunga, we need to ensure in future that we rarely lose at home. One of the reasons i feel we fail to take advantage of this, is that currently when you look at our personel, we really lack 1-2 players who are lightening quick outside receivers ,and can run through a line and deliver accurately to our potent forwards. Im thinking of a David McKay type player, not that we''ll see him anytime soon. These type of players can cover the vast acreage at Hickinbotham Oval and be a valuable attacking weapon.

Looking forward to 2013.
The most pressing issue is to sign any uncontracted players who are required for next year. From my understanding there are two. I think most know who they are but it is most important that the club gets moving on this and gets them to sign asap and not let it linger on for too long, because the vultures will soon begin to circle..if they havent already.

My thoughts are that we need a quick outside wing man as I mentioned previously. We also require a tall rebounding defender, and a hardnosed, mongrel, inside midfielder who can throw his weight around a bit. Not sure where we find them but we need to find them.

Ron will commence his 4th yr as coach in 2013. When Ron began his tenure at South in 2010 the club embarked upon a strategic 5 yr plan. The first part of that plan was to play finals in 2011. In Rons first year 2010 we won the spoon and Im sure many of us thought, here we go again!- but ...we played finals in 2011,and the club achieved that benchmark. The next part of the plan is somewhat more difficult......and that is to win a flag in 2013...

...yeah right , I hear all the doomsayers say...no hope blah blah blah..

well personally I see absolutely no reason why we cant.... Very Happy
We have a coach who has done it before and has a heap of experience.

We have the best forward line in the league, the sanfl stats prove it.Wundke, Ainger and Rolfe are the 3 most dangerous forwards going around.

Our midfield- if all are present next year- is right up there -clearances, inside 50s, possessions.

Our defence is statistically not great, we concede far too many goals, so with some fine tuning in this area we can make a difference.

Our home w/l record can only improve, it cant get any worse, if we'd won 40% of our home games this year we'd be playing this week,probably in the qualifying final with a double chance.

Also I cant tell you how happy I was with the way the players dealt with adversity on the weekend and got up over our archrival. It showed to me that they are now playing for each other and playing for the jumper, I have never been so proud as I was when driving home last night.If this type of resolve is brought along to the first game next year, we will be well on the way.

And finally never ever say never... this club has come from bottom to win the flag in 2 of its last 3 premierships, and there is no reason we cant do it again. Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: Season 2012

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Great post here B&W, many valid points.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by scooby68 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm

I personnaly believe we improived even though the results don't show it.
look at our attacking score for we have 1 of the best attacks as mentioned however i defence is a bit weak. we struggled to rebound out of fifty quick enough.
we should never have lost the first game to west i think that was a killer and also wundke being injured for the first 5 games did't help he would have won the Ken Farmer medal if had of played those games.
scooby68

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Some good thoughts there,

My concern is an area the club is already focused on and addressing, that being the poor form of both our Reserves Side and a large percentage of the club sides that feed into our team in terms of recruiting.

A poor result in the Reserves consistantly leads to a poor amount of pressure on our league listed players to retain their place in the team and poor opportunities for player development of lads who should be beating the door down to get a spot on the league list.

Its my opinion that when our club voted to scrap the U/17 and U/19 system that the club has fared very poorly out of it as those lads are now off playing elsewhere out of our in club development system.

Yes the club is looking into it, yet along with selective recruiting, I do feel this is one issue that we must find a solution for if we are to become competitive as a club at the SANFL league level of football.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 pm

After seeing the grand final and how poor west adelaide were I am quietly confident with some smart recruiting and retaining our good players we could definitely be playing finals football in 2013!
Norwood bar losing a heap of players in the draft will be very hard to beat, but as for the other teams not much separates them.
The time for us is now!The club really has to be on the front foot to recruit from under our nose and or Interstate.
2012 was a failed year but we at least got more games into our younger players.
2013 surely will be a much better year for the club!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:47 am

I certainly hope that is the case PM.
What I continually find frustrating year after year is that we are in state of constant re-building; We recruit key players, however do not have the ability to retain them; Acknowledge if the player is not the right fit, then best to part ways, however would suggest our level of turnover, particularly in recent years would be the highest in the league (The question has to be asked, why are we recruiting these players in the first instance if the commitment is not there); And look, understand interstaters returning home.
It becomes very disheartening when you see the likes of Boyd, Parry & Warren make moves with success.
Rival clubs who have had their time struggling have managed to retain & build a core group of the team & leap frog us.
This issue will become further magnified if we lose Ainger, Carey, Cross locally.
Yes, aggressive & smart recruiting is pivotal, however player retention is something I believe the club needs to work on & improve.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 pm

I've had a while for the whole season to sink in and I am of the opinion that it was an ok year for us. Sure we didn't play finals but I don't think that's a bad thing, the comp has been so close and we had a good percentage, when you consider how many games we lost by less than a goal and think a set shot missed or made or an unluckey bounce here or there could have decided any of those games we realisticaly could have had many more wins than we got. It must be adding to the mindset of the playing group that we are still in the game and that we aren't going to roll over and die, I can't remember the last time I felt this way about our club. Ben warren didn't play a key role for norwood by any means, I don't think we needed at noarlunga this year, having said that I was delighted to see him receive a premiership medallian on sunday. So to the future..we need a mainstay or two for the backline next year, we will continue to struggle without this, it should be our number one priority, I believe Joel cross is an essential cog we need next year. A free running outside mid fielder would be nice to. I am filled with optimism for next year, now is our time, I am expecting a finals appearance next year and to continue the building and 2014 to be the year we have a red hot crack at a flag. I bloody love this club and feel greatness is on the cusp for us.
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:45 pm

2012 season disappointing, as we finished 8th. 2013 looks good with crossy re signing, but we need to win at least 7 games at home. If we cant win at home, we cant talk about premierships.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum