South's Stongest Team for 2013

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South's Stongest Team for 2013

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 am

What is our best team for next season with everyone fit? (I'm not including AFL listed players)

I think this is our strongest team:

B: Redigolo Crabb McNamara
HB: Miller (Recruit) Thewlis
C: Murphy Stribling McKay
HF: Rolfe Ainger Daniel
F: Bleiby Wundke Carey
R: Bass Cross Liddle
Int: Brooksby Watson Gotch

Obviously we require a CHB but another area I struggled with was the forward pockets we really need someone to stand up as that small forward, I placed Carey in the forward pocket but I'm not sold on him.

We have a strong midfield with Liddle, Cross, Stribling, Murphy & I really rate Mckay think as he continues to get experience he will only get better. However are Watson & Gotch good enough as rotation midfielders or do we have other options???

I also strongly considered Hourigan as another tall option in attack but would this make us too top heavy I could easily have him in for Carey.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: South's Stongest Team for 2013

Post by the prowler on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 pm

IF the club manages to pick up 3 good recruits they will have to be included as good recruits dont play in the seconds.

Maybe this selection is not good enough to take us higher into the top 4 remembering we finished 8th this season.

If we are to participate in a Grand Final in our promised time frame, I would be more ruthless than you are PP.

Staying the same does not give you improvement. it gives you the same.

I never wanted to be a selector.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Yeah I would agree with that assessment but I would expect improvement from our current group given the limited experience in the team. If we can win those 4 or 5 close games we lost this year we prob finish 4th instead of 8th but we def need to recruit a Centre Half Back, another midfielder and maybe small forward.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:52 pm

I think we need more of our players stepping up. Every week its the same players best on ground. Crossy, liddle, wundke, stribs, murphy, redigolo, rolfe and ainger. We need more from the others.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Could we look at Dogger (Crows Michael Doughty)?, not a key position player I know, but maybe an experienced head in defence, & could add value to the leadership group, possibly a mentor role.

Of course convincing him to come back to local footy may be the stumbling block here.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am

Doughty would be a massive in for us! Probably only get two years out of him but he would be a perfect addition to out team.
Try and get him!!!!!
For the team to be stronger next season there are a couple of players named in panther packs line up that would only be fringe players.
I think we are only two or three good players short of playing finals next season, but we need depth for when the dreaded injuries occur.
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am

I would love to see Michael Doughty back playing for us for a couple of seasons but I'm not convinced he will.
As regards AFL players retiring then playing SANFL I think Jason Torney was exception rather than the rule.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Sam Richman will be making his return from a knee reco, thought he performed well in the 2011 finals series. Could also be an option down back think he has plenty of upside to him.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Heard Carey might not b at the club next year so maybe taylor or pfeiffer could possibly could fill that spot between them. As both showed alittle, but no stand out.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by turns on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Bring back jimmy turner- centre half back. He played every game this season for Kaniva in the Kowree/Naracoorte League and had his best season (injury free) for years. Was runner up in the B&F. Far too good for that competition and just needs another chance
turns

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Yes turns i totally agree we need more lads that want to play for the club all we need is for him to stay sound
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Ideally need proven State League player at CHB. Never got the chance this year to see if McNamara or Veide could do it week in week out. Missing Thewlis furthered exposed defence. Thought Casley showed some positive signs back there. He was average at best in attack. Was also injured late.
All the injuries we seem to get over last couple of years seem to be to defenders, is it just bad luck? If our better players could get some continuity back there I reckon we'd perform a lot bettrr. Miller gave us some real drive late in year.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Have heard whispers South are talking to Kory Beard from Port Magpies he would be the perfect solution to our Centre Half Back issues.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Yeah I agree. If we had Beard with Redigolo, Crabb, Miller, McNamara and Thewlis the defence would be awesome and could see a premiership in the next 2 years.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Hurricane panthers wrote:Yeah I agree. If we had Beard with Redigolo, Crabb, Miller, McNamara and Thewlis the defence would be awesome and could see a premiership in the next 2 years.

Agreed, but very much dependant on Ainger/Cross signings as well
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

Port Magpies have confirmed Kory Beard has re-signed with them. South will now need to look at other options for CHB. Is there anyone from another rival club we could pinch? Do we need to look interstate? Or as Handball Happy mentioned do we persist with Casley?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 am

Look at rival club is my opinion .

Seems everyone else is looking at ours !!! Evil or Very Mad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 pm

we need to find another Gerard Bennett. Has he got a younger brother?
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:21 pm

So with Ainger leaving the club does anyone think Hourigan could fulfil the 2nd tall forward role or would he be better suited as 3rd tall? I didn't see many reserves games this season but he always seemed to score goals most weeks in losing team. If not then I guess we will need to recruit another tall forward option. As previously mentioned I think a CHB is an absolute priority someone who can handle the big boys!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Hourigan would be good 3rd tall. Maybe have bass 2nd tall. With CHB rumours joel tippett leaving westies but maybe staying in SA. Beard would b 1ST choice.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Hurricane panthers wrote:Hourigan would be good 3rd tall. Maybe have bass 2nd tall. With CHB rumours joel tippett leaving westies but maybe staying in SA. Beard would b 1ST choice.

Hurricane are you saying Tippett is open to playing for another SANFL club next season????
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Panther Pack wrote:
Hurricane panthers wrote:Hourigan would be good 3rd tall. Maybe have bass 2nd tall. With CHB rumours joel tippett leaving westies but maybe staying in SA. Beard would b 1ST choice.

Hurricane are you saying Tippett is open to playing for another SANFL club next season????

Thats what im hearing.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Mark Dolling recently retired from port magpies, I would be doing my best to entice him out of retirement to play with us! He would be very handy in any number of positions!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Update possible 2013 team based on new recruits.
Included in capitals first choice player (note: deliberately not chosen any recruits in original line up) . Players in brackets the position options : -

F: ROLFE (Taylor / Moyle) WUNDKE HOURIGAN (Eddy / Snook)
HF: DANIEL MCKERNAN (Hartigan) GOTCH (Taylor/ Ah Chee / Carey/ Irra / DeVisser)
C: MURPHY (Capt) STRIBLING PFEIFFER (Seccull / McDonald / Houlihan )
HB: MILLER TALIA (Shaw) THEWLIS (Perrey / McKay / Richman)
B: REDIGELO CRABB MCNAMARA (Fields / Veide)
R: BROOKSBY (Bass / Dowdell)) CROSS LIDDLE

Any comments ?
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Reckon we are no chance to see Talia and with Tipped leaving the Cows Mckernan might also play more Afl games this season. Based on that really need Eddy to step straight into CHF and another of the new recruits to make the CHB position there own. Looking forward to having Thesis and Mcnamara back from injury to bolster the backline. Also Irra & Mckay virtually recruits are missing most of 2012 through under 18's and injury. Reckon both those boys can add depth to midfield and forward line and expect to see them both improve dramatically as they both have serious talent.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum