South Adelaide Zone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Adelaide Zone

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Thought I read somewhere the SANFL were looking at the current Zones in the league. Think its fair to say South have been getting a raw deal for sometime now. I still can't believe clubs like Happy Valley & Flagstaff Hill aren't Zoned to South!!!!!! Anyone got any further info on the Zone situation?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: South Adelaide Zone

Post by Hurricane panthers on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 pm

I agree the zoning is so crap! We get teams like hackham, aldinga and lonsdale who merged with o'sullies, but still doing nothing! The SANFL needs to really look at re-zoning. Getting so tired of not having local talent coming through. We always have to recruit from interstate, then they leave to rival clubs.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Id have to agree with both posts south have been getting a raw deal for about 40 years my first 3 homes that ive have lived in were zoned to south zones they are no longer zone in south Ive been told from someone in the club if our zone will be changed it will only be marginly The sanfl just wants us to be at the bottom couldnt upset the other clubs
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:14 am

We are the SANFLs whipping boy and have been since 1900, when the zoning system was first brought in.
We are the only sanfl club to have none of its original zone.
Our current zone is rubbish. There is a dearth of football participation in our zone. Victor -Pt Elliot-Goolwa is commonly known as "Gods Waiting Room", which clearly defines the demographic down there.
Kangaroo Island...with the greatest respect to Crabby...put it this way..Father and Son day picnics are a bit confusing over there.. Shocked
The best areas of our city zone have been given to West in recent years..Aberfoyle Park, Happy Valley , Flagstaff Hill and most of Reynella.
Any notion that we have a fertile city zone is frankly a load of rubbish.

Unfortunately any idea that the sanfl will do something about it ...well it aint going to happen. The clubs that have the most to lose in any Boundary change,hold by far the most influence at the SANFL commission. Mad
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 am

Hurricane panthers wrote:I agree the zoning is so crap! We get teams like hackham, aldinga and lonsdale who merged with o'sullies, but still doing nothing! The SANFL needs to really look at re-zoning. Getting so tired of not having local talent coming through. We always have to recruit from interstate, then they leave to rival clubs.

We haven't even got londsale osb! Zones areva joke
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane panthers on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:21 pm

The Growl wrote:
Hurricane panthers wrote:I agree the zoning is so crap! We get teams like hackham, aldinga and lonsdale who merged with o'sullies, but still doing nothing! The SANFL needs to really look at re-zoning. Getting so tired of not having local talent coming through. We always have to recruit from interstate, then they leave to rival clubs.

We haven't even got londsale osb! Zones areva joke

I'm pretty sure lonsdale is zoned to south, as of connections with SAFC.
Hurricane panthers

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Just wondering if there has been any News on the clubs submission to the SANFL??
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterboy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm hearing that we are picking up more of the SFL and Hills and losing KI
Waterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Waterboy wrote:I'm hearing that we are picking up more of the SFL and Hills and losing KI

i think the devil will be in the detail on this one........ Rolling Eyes
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

KI would be a welcome loss, but think we need to pick up more Ghana just the RMFL considering how far behind the other clubs our participation is
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

KI is a great area for the club development. Hope we don't loose it!!
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 am

you've got to be kidding Panthers64? Other than Crabby, how many KI guys have bee regular league players since the turn of the century? waste of space
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 am

Agree with the Growl a waste of space. Nice place for a holiday though if you don't chuck your guts up getting over there. RMFL is still too far away for the kids to commute.

Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:45 am

David 'Sticks' Stoeckel wasn't too bad. I guess it is a good place for premiership retreats! Happy if we pick up Murray Bridge as a zone - lots of talent there!
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Pretty sure Brendon Lade was a KI footballer also!

Ideally the areas should be based on participation rates and that is what this delivers.

I would like to see another example of a club pushed completley out of its area as South Adelaide was. I fully accept the objections that Sturt have to the idea, yet I do wonder how they might like it if the Unley area was split between Glenelg, West and Norwood and they were told to push further into the growing population of the hills? This way they keep the Unley area and keep the growing areas of Strath and Maccie and so on where the bulk of the population growth is expected.

There is no shortage of support for the SAFC in Murray Bridge, for many years its been split between support for South or for Sturt so I do think South will connect there very well. Would be a good place to have a home match also at some stage next season to give Port Elliot a rest.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 am

Response to Reported Boundary Changes

SAFC Response to Reported Boundary Changes

The South Adelaide Football Club on Monday received proposed boundaries changes prepared by the SANFL Boundaries Commission.
South Adelaide has until Monday December 10 to provide its official response to these changes.

The Club will not be making any further comment on the proposed changes until the Boundaries Commission Report is finalized, other than to make the following points –
•Glad that South Adelaide’s case has been heard
•Respect the River Murray Football League as an established country competition with a rich history
•Disappointed that yet another bunch of Southern Suburbs boys living within ten minutes of Hickinbotham Oval will not have the opportunity to play for the South Adelaide Football Club
•Advise that SAFC will be lodging an application this week for Federal funding for the Southern Sporting Complex to develop facilities to serve the southern region

Very interested in the final point, if this Federal grant is given (and it deserves to be) this is going to be fantastic for SAFC, our oval precinct will be the best in the SANFL and the centre of not only footy but sports in the south will have all roads leading to Hickinbotham Oval. This has the potential to establish our historic club for another 100+ years and enhance our facilities into a new age.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoop on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I'll believe the SSC when it's built. Wasn't this the theory when we first moved down to Noarlunga 15 years ago? With the Cove Sporting complex set up already, which includes netball, cricket, football, BMX etc, can we really attract a lot of other sports? I'd love to see it happen but A) I doubt it will since it has not materialised previously when it was mooted as a sure thing, and B) let's get the football house in order first. That's our core business - we are here to win premierships and that should be our focus. Consistent finals participation and premiership victories.
Scoop

http://www.insanitymultimedia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am

surely we can do more than one thing at the same time? should we shut down Jimmy Deane's as well and just concentrate on footy, and maybe shut down the Panther Cllub, and stop doing school / community programs.

I say go for it - think we have a much more capable boards then some of the half-wits there were there 15 years ago, so why not have a crack
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_South on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Its really annoying me that clubs are opposing their new boundaries as it will supposedly make them less competetive. We have had to put up with shrinking our zone a long long time!

The AFL has drafts which helps their competition maintain an evenness of competition. Zones are what enables the SANFL achieve a level of evenness. It doesn't take blind Freddie to notice that things have to change in our favour!
Sir_South

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:53 pm

I would like to inform members it might take 5years or more until we see our juniors perform better because all the good players still belong to that club or if they were part of development squads or were signed up for that club before the zones were changed
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm

paul wrote:I would like to inform members it might take 5years or more until we see our juniors perform better because all the good players still belong to that club or if they were part of development squads or were signed up for that club before the zones were changed

I think your right on the money here Paul.

Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum