South Adelaide 5 Year Plan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Adelaide 5 Year Plan

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Back in 2010 the club put together a 5 year plan to win the Premiership by 2014!!!

I still believe we can win the flag in 2014 but to do this I reckon we MUST finish in the top 3 in 2013.
If we finish top 3 next year we give ourselves a real chance at the flag in 2014!!!! Two major reasons for this are:

1. Playing group gets exposure to finals, lets be honest we miss finals in 2013 or scrape into 5th with a losing season I can't see us all of a sudden making a grand final and winning it. Most Premiership teams a finals hardened teams we need to play finals next year to set us up for 2014.
2. We finish top 3 play off in a prelim we have better chance of retaining players who will smell a flag. We finish 8th next year and more players might leave the club.

If we are serious about the 5 year plan I don't it is unreasonable to expect that in year 4 we make a prelim. How do others currently see the 5 year plan????[quote]

Last edited by Panther Pack on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: South Adelaide 5 Year Plan

Post by Panther74 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Top 3 in 2013.

Nothing less.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:07 am

Should be aiming to win premiership next year ... And year after .... And year after that ....
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 am

The Growl wrote:Should be aiming to win premiership next year ... And year after .... And year after that ....

Been saying that all my life !!! Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Agree with thoughts of top 3 in 2013 and then crack the premiership its a long time since 1964 and being in GF 1979 (what a crap day & I flew down from Darwin to freeze to death and watch us slowly go under).
I think Uncle Ron knows that the playing group have to get that desire and hunger so I believe he will be pushing pretty hard this year.
Lets face it a couple of close games that we let slip cost us the finals chance this year.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 am

I support Fuller & think he is the right man to take us to a premiership but if we haven't won a flag by 2014 should we re-appoint him?

Is near enough good enough for a re-appointment?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:43 pm

IMO no other coach is going to do any better than Ron based on having the same group of players to work with.

The club to its credit appears to be trying to work on the wider issues that affect it such as the poor standard of many of its zoned sides and the lowest participation rate of players in the state. Ron can do all he can with our side, but the club and its members must get off their collective ars#s and deal with these types of problems if we are to be successful, to think the Senior Coach can fix all these types of problems is an attitude that will keep us chained to the bottom of the ladder. - Central were perennial dwellers at the bottom of the ladder for a number of years before they sorted through their problems and built up their side to be competitive in the SANFL and we must do the same!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm

We can play finals in 2013 but there has to be improvement across the board.
Winning a flag could be achievable by 2014 but we would have to really lift in many areas.
Nothing less than finals in 2013, otherwise you can forget a premiership for a while.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Fuller is best thing to happen to safc in many, many years. Get behind him and he will deliver
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 am

Agree Growl, no coach is a perfect fit but Uncle Ron was an excellent appointment and his appointment involves much more than game day preparation, IMO our best coach since John Reid. Fuller brings what Reidy bought in, direction of game plan, disipline and fittness.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by countrypanther on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Well he would want to do something in 2013. Will be his 4th year out of 5!
countrypanther

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:54 pm

First thing you have to ask yourself "has the club overall improved with Ron being there"?..... only you can answer that!

Ron has done a great job with the list/depth he has at his disposal. If you can't toe the line or if your there for the wrong reasons you wont last.

The big leap in improvement will come when these young lads have 50-80 games of experience as a group together.

Just need to fill our needs with good recruiting, a bit of luck with injury and you never know....
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Club has improved out of sight. Most people liked clay, but he clearly had no as. Coach.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_South on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Ron has been great for South. His knowledge of the SANFL has been something South have been yearning after for ages.

In saying that if we miss the finals for the next 2 seasons I don' think he will be there in 2015.

Also, if we miss the finals next year would we look at something like a succession plan?
Sir_South

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi im 52 years of age every coach we have had since Neil Kerley has told us he has a 2 to 3year plan my thoughts are if RON fuller cant take us there. Ill think i never see us win a premiership in my life time It will be a lifetime regret
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm 64 and I wouldn't have believed that seeing South go from bottom to top when I was 16 that I would be waiting so long for it to happen again. We've had some good and bad coaches players administrators and supporters in between but I believe we are on the right track now.
While I mightn't agree with all of his decisions I reckon Ron is the best bloke we could have in charge at the moment. Making the finals in year 2 was a bit lucky and last season we were responsible for our own demise by letting close games slip away, (especially the game against Glenelg at home) he will make us all learn from that.
What I hope will happen is that, in addition to the success we all crave, there will be a succession plan for our future coaching panel.
That will ensure future success and prevent the Cahill/Sampson debacle because although Clay may not be a top coach I would to see players like him and Trent Mills involved in the club.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 am

I reckon you will find that Trent Mills was pretty close to joining the South Coaching team last season, but Ron was away and Goodwood needed an answer ASAP re the 2012 season.
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm

In fairness to Clay he got shoved into the coaching roll at a young age.
It was sink or swim!
He was supposed to get another 18 months under Cahill but that did not eventuate.
If my memory serves me correct under Cahill and Sampson we recruited stuff all players and relied on youngsters within, which meant players were getting league games that were either not ready or not good enough!
The club was pushing for youth from within which as all good and well until the penny dropped that we simply don't have the junior depth of talent other clubs do. Ron is definitely the coach we needed but it would be nice to have Clay around as an assistant. Players would walk through walls for him!!

Last edited by panther magic on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Clay didn't have much cattle in those couple of years in fairness. Hell I reckon I could've offered more than some of those blokes.

Anyway, back on topic... Very Happy

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:50 am

Thought I would reignite this topic as it appears the plan may have to be extended and is malfunctioning. (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Overall we are no better off then in 2009. League team bottom and getting thumped and juniors always losing.
I think there were only 3 local players playing in team last night. Murphy, Redigolo and Mckay so in the 4 years since 09 we have basically developed no local players.
This 5 year plan is an EPIC FAIL.
Visionary my *#*# club is in same position as in 09. What is the point of these plans just win some bloody football games!!!!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Thought I would reignite this topic as it appears the plan may have to be extended and is malfunctioning. (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Overall we are no better off then in 2009. League team bottom and getting thumped and juniors always losing.
I think there were only 3 local players playing in team last night. Murphy, Redigolo and Mckay so in the 4 years since 09 we have basically developed no local players.
This 5 year plan is an EPIC FAIL.
Visionary my *#*# club is in same position as in 09. What is the point of these plans just win some bloody football games!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we are slightly more competitive.......2013 aside so far!!!

....but no change really. Off field great - on field.....crap!!! Embarassed

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by roger ramjet on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

My friend , a westies supporter sugested to me that south are in their 21 st year of a five year plan, Not sure what he meant lol!
roger ramjet

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 pm

roger ramjet wrote:My friend , a westies supporter sugested to me that south are in their 21 st year of a five year plan, Not sure what he meant lol!

Think that has been the way since 1964!!!! Embarassed
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Should I change the topic to 55 year plan??? Very Happy
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Went back and looked at the ladder from 2011. Was interested to see we finished the minor round 5th with 8 and a half wins. West finished 7th with 8 wins. Yes we were lucky to make finals in 2011 but the question remains how are West so far ahead of us 18 months later?
I also looked at the 2011 team and since then the following players have left the club: Lyons, Horne, Macleod, Cockshell, Ainger, Carey and Sandery. Horne and Ainger the 2 biggest losses IMO but still can't work out what is going on. Do we need to install an ultra defensive game style like Norwood has done and West last year then once we have mastered that start adding attacking footy. I don't know but I do know we all want to see wins.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum