Hickinbotham Oval

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hickinbotham Oval

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am

Been going to Hickinbotham Oval for over 10 years now & wanted to know if there was a way to give our home ground more atmosphere for our players.

I usuallly stand under the Stratco although occasionally I stand on the hill & with maybe the exception of the Eagles & West we are generally out numbered on the hill & out numbered by some numbers.

So where are our supporters? We seemed to be spread out all over the place & because of the open nature of Hickinbotham oval it sometimes can feel like there are not that many South supporters at a game although I think there is more than first glance would suggest.

So back to my original question is there was a way to give our home ground more atmosphere for our players?

THE PANTHER PACK IS COMING!!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: Hickinbotham Oval

Post by darley16 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 am

I agree with Panther Pack, the atmosphere in the wide open spaces at our large ground is a toughie to manage. Many Southies sit in the stand and the atmosphere there is usually good but elsewhere around the ground (apart from the cheer squad lads on eastern wing and behind southern goals) it's pretty poor.
I undertand the club has submitted a grant application for funding to improve our facilities and would like an update as to it's progress and if successful what improvements are planned. Knock over the ugly stratco and build a members grandstand in front of the change rooms and on the eastern side lay elevated concrete step terracing would be fantastic and would enclose the openess of our facility therefore provide a stadium type atmosphere.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm a Stratco man. Infront of the bar (handy), just to the side of the BBQ (again, handy) and at the front. I like the atmosphere there, plus did I mention the handy proximity to beer and meat?
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm

As a person who sits in the stand each week (on the comfy seats) - I'm proud to say I paid for it and I will enjoy it. The best seats in the house! I am really disappointed we don't fill up all the stand with only Panther supporters.
This area (and the standing area in front) should be EXCLUSIVELY South Adelaide. Let the opposition go elsewhere (maybe the other side of the oval in their cars). Frankly lets enjoy what we have. Whenever you visit other venues opposition clubs are ostracised, yet at Noarlunga we allow the enemy to infiltrate our most intimate sections without any opposition. I say, stuff em! If South Adelaide wants to be strong ... let us show it by having OUR area to ourselves–not filled with opposition players and supporters... only blue and white!!
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 am

I thnk the next step for the club needs to be a grandstand and an upgrade of the training faclities including a lap pool.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 pm

[quote="darley16"]I agree with Panther Pack, the atmosphere in the wide open spaces at our large ground is a toughie to manage. Many Southies sit in the stand and the atmosphere there is usually good but elsewhere around the ground (apart from the cheer squad lads on eastern wing and behind southern goals) it's pretty poor.
I undertand the club has submitted a grant application for funding to improve our facilities and would like an update as to it's progress and if successful what improvements are planned. Knock over the ugly stratco and build a members grandstand in front of the change rooms and on the eastern side lay elevated concrete step terracing would be fantastic and would enclose the openess of our facility therefore provide a stadium type atmosphere. [/qu

If the club gets the funding I agree a grandstand on the wing where the current Stratco / change rooms are would be fantastic. When does the club find out about this funding?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Panthers64 wrote:As a person who sits in the stand each week (on the comfy seats) - I'm proud to say I paid for it and I will enjoy it. The best seats in the house! I am really disappointed we don't fill up all the stand with only Panther supporters.
This area (and the standing area in front) should be EXCLUSIVELY South Adelaide. Let the opposition go elsewhere (maybe the other side of the oval in their cars). Frankly lets enjoy what we have. Whenever you visit other venues opposition clubs are ostracised, yet at Noarlunga we allow the enemy to infiltrate our most intimate sections without any opposition. I say, stuff em! If South Adelaide wants to be strong ... let us show it by having OUR area to ourselves–not filled with opposition players and supporters... only blue and white!!

Great post!

Totally agree with you. Opposition sides need to "hate" playing at our ground. We need to keep in a section and maybe make the players come through the gates near the stands after a win to the change rooms as they have to deal with usually getting abuse through the race by opposition supporters. Make our boys comfortable but make it "hell" for other teams. Its OUR FORTRESS!!!! Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Any news on whether the Hovercraft will be back in 2013?
Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Andos Mullett wrote:Any news on whether the Hovercraft will be back in 2013?

If Angry Anderson does an appearence on it....Bring it on!!! Laughing
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm

What do people think of the cars around the oval? I really like it reckon its a good atmosphere especially at night games and its something different to all the other grounds. Also makes money for the club so that's a good thing.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Never bothered me with the cars at all.

I like it.

Just annoys me with other clubs supporters bagging us about it on other footy forums Sad

Keep with it as its better filled than nothing there .

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am

Love the cars
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Must admit initially i was not a fan of cars around the Oval. I thought it was portraying the club as some sought of rural backwater.However I must agree that since the club went ahead with it , the atmosphere at games, particularly night games has improved out of sight.
The only issues I have these days is that at night games there is no catering on the outer side of the ground. Also security needs to be tightened/expanded in the outer to prevent alcohol being passed over the fence, as apparently happened at a couple of games last year.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm

blueandwhite wrote:Must admit initially i was not a fan of cars around the Oval. I thought it was portraying the club as some sought of rural backwater.However I must agree that since the club went ahead with it , the atmosphere at games, particularly night games has improved out of sight.
[b]The only issues I have these days is that at night games there is no catering on the outer side of the ground.[/b] Also security needs to be tightened/expanded in the outer to prevent alcohol being passed over the fence, as apparently happened at a couple of games last year.

Maybe something the Panther Club can look into at some stage.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Read in this week's Southern Messenger that the Onkaparinga Council have put the Southern Sporting Complex (Hickinbotham Oval) at the top of their wish list for the upcoming Federal Election, the Council wants some cash to upgrade the facility. (Link to messenger below)

http://digitaledition.southerntimes.com.au/#folio=10

Could we finally get the grandstand and hovercraft we have all been waiting for!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum