Finances

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finances

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Certainly a pretty popular topic among sanfl fans of late. West reporting a $500k loss for 2012, along with a 90k tax bill for unpaid superannuation to the ATO. Sturt havent faired much better...$400k loss in 2011 and a $450k loss in 2012.

Fortunately the powers that be at our club have a firm steady hand on the financial rudder(Well done to Grant Miles) and have done so for a few years now. While our club made a modest profit for 2012, given the difficulties other clubs are having, and the current financial climate, our 2012 figure looks nothing short of sensational!

A few would say we have a sizeable debt, and we have, but we are comfortably servicing that debt with a sound business model, something the likes of Sturt and West certainly dont have. We also have a considerable asset base, and havent plunged to the depths of Sturt and West who are cashing in their assets to retire debt.

Going to be an interesting 6 months for West and Sturt..... Shocked
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: Finances

Post by B&W63 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 pm

blueandwhite I always have trouble reading your posts because your callsign icon is very large and covers some of the wording, am I the only one who has this problem?

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoop on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 pm

It used to be but looks to have been resized and is now fine. Has been okay for me for over a fortnight, B&W63.
Scoop

http://www.insanitymultimedia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am

I have found that its called an avatar but now yours is expanded scoop and the result is that it covers the left side of the persons post and I can't make any sense of what is written. I have tried to access the image to no avail.
Perhaps its my computer or I have to get the moderator to help me.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am

i am on the computer now and blueandwhites is covering up the post a bit and scoops is not, when i log in on my phone scoops also covers up some of the post.....technology, gotta love it lol
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

I discovered that if I Left click on view icon then zoom and go to 100% scoop's avatar is resized correctly but I have to go down to75% to read blueandwhite.
Agree ryan .....

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I think its been proven to be a good decision that we did not over capitalise on the debts that we undertook for redevelopments at the club. I would like to see the club move to having a decent Grandstand and a Swimming pool for training, yet if we carry on as we are, those things will come to the club with prudent financial planning as has been the case so far. Like others I will be happy to see the debt gone but we are doing as good job at this stage of the game of reducing it with our eye on the long term goals of the club.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Don't think another grandstand will happen.

Lap pool maybe.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Why a swimming pool when we're 2 minutes away from the best recovery pool of all, the ocean, i would love a grandstand over/in front of changerooms.

Was lucky enough to go to season launch last Friday and was very impressed with all the speakers and the professionalism of the whole night, i've never felt more confident that our club has finally built a foundation for future success. It's all about the right people in the right places for the right reasons and that we have done without exception.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I am pleased to see that we are on the right track financially and perhaps this year our annual optimism will be rewarded. However are the Advertiser figures correct regading our member numbers? 404?
Success and a grandstand will be great but we also need people to sit in the seats and outnumber the opposition supporters !!

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 pm

If yesterday's figures are to be believed we seem a long way last in regards to members yet appear to financially far better off than competitors. I was amazed it is so low.
Think we still have lowest crowd numbers too. I know from time to time people get excited on here but in the scheme of things how critical is our membership to our operation?
What does it mean for future?

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Handball Happy wrote:If yesterday's figures are to be believed we seem a long way last in regards to members yet appear to financially far better off than competitors. I was amazed it is so low.
Think we still have lowest crowd numbers too. I know from time to time people get excited on here but in the scheme of things how critical is our membership to our operation?
What does it mean for future?

well Ill grab the bait and swallow it!!!!

..it depends if we want a football club with members and a licensed facility; ........or a licensed facility that has a footy team. Rolling Eyes because it looks to me, thats the direction we taking.

The club has made some very good decisions in recent times but I think the decision to remove the basic $50 membership is a very odd one. It basically ensures that someone who works on weekends or part time, many do these days, has family committments etc- has to fork out for a home season ticket to become a member. A home match ticket they may use 2-3 times in a year. Dont have to work out what someones decision will be on that!
Times are tough for many out there these days....Surely the club mantra...Visionary ,Can Do & United should be applied to this issue..? dont we want to be good at the small things, do them very well, and bring all along with us........???

I can honestly say I know of 6 people who would join tomorrow for $50-60 basic membership but cannot make the committment for a full season. So do we say to these people, well thanks but were not interested in your money. Surely the basic membership doesnt cost the club money....does it???

Not sure what anyone else thinks but.. I found the figures in the Sunday Mail the other day...if true.....pretty embarrassing. Embarassed

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Well said B&W.

As many people on this forum know I have been fighting to get the general membership back. I wrote a detailed letter to BK (ex CEO) last year to explain my reasons why it needs to be an option for South supporters. I received a generic 3 line response.

The packages really put you up against a wall and as a family man, shift worker I dont get to EVERY game.

We are positioned in a low social ecomonic area and we should be encourgaing the community including youth (youth unemployment down South is approx. 40%) to engage in the club (this includes the local leagues too) and get on board to feel proud to be a member of South.

To see those numbers on the weekend, well I nearly though up my breakfast. It was embarrassing. Embarassed ...and not a good look.

Like B&W has said, in these economic times people just cant afford it ATM without knowing what their commitments are like thoughout the year.

Hopefully the new CEO will listen to the people and look at other options for 2014.

I know the money at the game goes to the club but surely there should be any way of going about it.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 pm

I think that is part of the issue, the money at the gate goes to the SANFL. This year membership is only 50c anyway. Got to be best value in Australia.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 pm

The Growl wrote:I think that is part of the issue, the money at the gate goes to the SANFL. This year membership is only 50c anyway. Got to be best value in Australia.

If you go to every game it is.

How about the poor buggers that dont have a choice as they cant attend every game??

404 members ???? Seriously??? I would rather more than less.

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 am

I's rather give my money to the Club than the league - I don't get to all the games, but if it helps the club, then I see it as a very small sacrifice.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 am

Surely the $65 membership gives a person some sense of belonging to the club, sure they may attend only 2-3 games per year but that is surely better than discouraging them from any involvement at the club at all.

Yes I agree ,sadly the money at the gate for walkups goes directly to the sanfl. However surely once the patron has entered the ground, the sanfl doesnt have its hand in the pies, steak sandwiches,drinks or merchandise he purchases and the $20 he throws into the pokies..?-

Once again I say, not everyone can afford $135 for a Home match ticket, or more to the point attend enough games to justify it either.

The $65 membership, plus the potential catering generated for perhaps 2-3 games is a lot better than nothing at all.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am

Depends on how many current 135 members drop back to 65 if offered. Suggest quite a few must have upgraded last year if membership income went up 20k as reported?

The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 am

The Growl wrote:Depends on how many current 135 members drop back to 65 if offered. Suggest quite a few must have upgraded last year if membership income went up 20k as reported?

Well yes, but Id like to see where these figures have been reported Growl, because try as I might I havent seem them anywhere...

.....but me being me.. Laughing I have a few more questions...!
You seem to have plenty of inside knowledge on facts and figures Growl so perhaps you can answer them of have access to someone who can answer them.

1. Does 100% of a Home match ticket go to the club? and therefore $0 to the sanfl?

2. Around 4-5 yrs ago the safc boasted almost 1000 members.. a very poor number when compared to other sanfl clubs...but where have 600 members gone?? and why??? I'd really like to see some figures on our membership during this time..

3. 404 members is embarrassing, when compared to other clubs, even some country clubs. At a time when sanfl crowds and the general interest in the sanfl is waning this should be of concern to our club. Does the 404 include Players?? someone told me it does!!

4. Is the reason the $65 membership was abolished because the $65 is not profitable for the club , does it not cover the benefits one receives for a $65 ?

5. As i mentioned before.. I have 6 people that will sign up for a $65 membership tomorrow-cannot justify a $135 as they will not attend all home games..... obviously the club doesnt need $400??
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah glad the club's finances are in order. Also read we are 1 of only 2 clubs (the other being the Eagles) to post a profit for 2012 which is a great effort by all involved at South Adelaide.
Disappointed by those membership numbers but to be honest not really surprised. No success since the club has moved to Noarlunga is hardly going to fill up the bandwagon. If we could play finals 5 years straight then the crowds will come. If anyone has the link to the article regarding the members I'd love to have a read.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:33 am

A summary:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1941/

On the plus side at least we're 47 ahead of this time last year Wink

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm

saintal wrote:A summary:

47?? Probably be the players !!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Bllue and white - think you'll find the 404 is only year to date - not great, but assume it is normal for the rush to come just before the first bounce. Think that sort pf addresses questions 2 and 3. re 1 and 4 - no idea. re 5, comes back to how many drop back in class if a lower class was offered. I'm sure I read in panthers news some time last year that revenue for membership went up $20k? Suggest that sort of increased revenue will be critical to clubs in these tough times. Might just have to agree to disagree and move on to sharing our excitment for the year ahead.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Panther74 wrote:
saintal wrote:A summary:

47?? Probably be the players !!!

A few years ago they published the name of every member in that magazine that goes out 3 or 4 times a year ("panther press" or something like that). And yeah pretty much all the players were listed. I'd say it would happen at most/all sanfl clubs.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

The arguement boils down to which is of greater importance, fiscal inrease through membership price rises or actual membership numbers. As the club reports that membership dollars are up and membership numbers obviously down maybe that is of greater importance given our $2.99ml debt.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum