HOW DO YOU RATE SEASON 2010?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HOW DO YOU RATE SEASON 2010?

Post by panther magic on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 pm

How do you view are season which is due to come to a close this weekend?
I feel we have taken some small steps forward but in all honesty not as big as I expected.
This year was always going to be tough,but after some encouraging results in the first month we sort of slipped back into old habits.
We dont have alot of depth and I suppose having a solid list of injuries all season did not help the cause,even though most of the injured players were youngsters.
After watching us play the bays on saturday it just highlighted how far the gap is between a top three side and a lowly ranked team, even though we gave them a good go earlier in the season.
The bays did not have one passenger in their team and that is what we as a club will have to stride twords if we are to become a solid consistent team.
I suppose I am travelling over the obvious,but we are in dire need of at least another 1-2 talls, a tough nut midfielder and a key defender and forward.Not an easy task to find these players but from what I have seen in the reserves and league we do not have these players ready to step up yet.Forget about Bass and Makernan they are AFL listed players,and we may not see much of them in the future.
In my opinion(probably not worth much)we need the above mentioned players coupled with another solid pre season.Strong emphasis on weights(we are out muscled all the time) and skills.
I realise it will take time to become a consistently good team but I do not believe it has to take an eternity if we put he right procedures in place.We should know the players that can take us forward and release those who do not have the ability or desire,and with some diligent selective recruiting from interstate and within the SANFL we should aim to not only improve as a side but hopefully win a handful of games to give some hope for the supporters.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Re: HOW DO YOU RATE SEASON 2010?

Post by panther67 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:15 am

yes, i would say dissapointed. I had hoped to win 5-6 games and go into next year feeling a bit better about it than I currently do.
The first step is to retain the current playing list and then build from there.
Looking at the current list we are going to have a very young side so do we need some experience and do we go down the path of ex AFL players or experienced SANFL players?
Lucky Ronnie is full time because he is certainly going to need the time over summer to convince quality recruits to come.
I am behind Ronnie and think that he has been let down somewhat by situations beyond his control but I will want better results next year.

Lets hope for a win on Saturday.

Come on Panthers

panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:13 am

I reckon you are on the money Panther Magic. Bit more muscle and of course talent won't hurt. Thewlis will be the veteran at 26 if he goes on. To succeed recruiting and retention will be the keys.

Good to see someone not suggesting that recruiting from the South zone is going to be the savior.

In Crabb, Murphy, Crate, Veide, Richman, Perrey, Campbell, Brooskby and even Carter I reckon we've got as good as we are going to get from the region. Look out for Beath next year too.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Disappointing, but good 2 see the improvement of some of the younger players, and new ones coming into the league team this year
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:54 pm

there was so much promise in the first month i was expecting more wins, having said that i think ron is a great thing for the club and seems to have got rid of players who weren't going to take us to where all the south faithfull want to be. Injuries didnt help the cause either. In the long run i think all the young players will be better for playing at a higher level than they were probably ready for. The boys need to clock up som big hours in the gym so we dont look like men playing boys. Im very optimistic for the next few years and think better times are ahead.
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Bringing in players from our zone will not be the immediate answer to our developing list but like it or not it will be the future of our cub.
Having ron as our full time coach will hopefully give him the opportunity to look at some of the younger blokes playing within our zone and identify those who may have the potential to take their game to another level.
Talent identification and the ability to nurture it will be the keys to our juniors improving and therefore improving our league side into the future.Ron has the track record of developing quality juniors at WWT so we definately have the right man for the job.
Strong junior teams generally point to a strong club,that will have to be something the club invests in.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Highlight of the year for mine was beating the Eagles in the first SAFC vs the Eagles match where most people appeared to think that the Eagles had it in the bag against their former coach - a very satisfying win!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum