2011 captain????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2011 captain????

Post by ryan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Who would you like to see captain the side for 2011??

I reakon Nick Liddle wuld make a great skipper, maybee Adam Cockshell as vice.

What are your thoughts????
ryan

Back to top Go down

Re: 2011 captain????

Post by the prowler on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Damn good question.

1. A person that will be there long term.

2. A person that commands respect of the playing group.

3. A person that can lead a young team on the way up.

4. A person who shows discipline at all times.

5. A person who has spent time at the club and knows its history.

6. A person that can communicate with the players, sponsors, supporters.

7. A person who is able to lead by example both on and off the field

8. A person who has the desire to lead the club forward at all costs

Just some of my thoughts, I have not put a name to my criteria just yet, will have to sift through who I think could be good candidates for the honour.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by soapy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:45 pm

The stand out selection at this stage would be Crabby..IMO
soapy

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Nick Liddle.....maybe Cockshell.

Personal favorite would be Josh Thewlis (fitness worries me a bit though)
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Josh would have to be right up there, whether he would have another 3 or 4 more years in him could be a point.

Peter Rolfe would be a good candidate as I feel he may have missed the AFL bus, we have yet to see the best from Rolfy, Crabby still needs a year or more as a vice captain before I feel he is ready to step up, Cocky has to get his mental side of the game together and be more demanding of players on the ground before I would consider him, Nick Murphy would come into the mix as a vice captain, I'm not sure if he will be with us next season if he has put himself into the draft for 2010
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Just throwing this name out there, what about Nathan Lyons? He's been at the club a while, & seen him ignight the side the field, through his run & ability to kick an inspirational goal; Given our current standing in the league, this is a crucial decision for the club & player selected; Player excedous is becoming the norm at our club, it would pain me to see another player leave as a result of not coping with the added pressure of the captaincy; This is an important decision for the club, hopefully the right one is made.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Anyone who was at Prospect the first time round or watched it on TV will know that Cocky would have to do a lot and also lose a lot to be seen as our leader.
Candidates don't spring readily to mind. Good players don't necessarily translate to good captains. Pretty hard to get a feel for it on the outer all the same.
Is tough for Crabby at full back to influence team. He has enough to worry about with the footy coming in and Grima and Chambo getting hold of him.
Thewlis will be oldest but if he is saying doesn't always play every week.
Tricky for Vic recruits given they have only been here 5 minutes, but perhaps that's where we are hat.
Cratey and Murph seem composed, but still young.
Maybe we can have a rotating captain like supercoach Grant Thomas instigated at the Saints all those years ago.
Maybe everyone gets a turn?
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

What appears to be the case to me is that it could be that picking anyone in our side for the captaincy could prove to be a case of picking fruit before it is ripe and then causing that player to struggle under the added pressures of the captaincy.

Its not even remotely the ideal suggestion, yet I do think its likely that we as a club may need to discuss the possibility of the right recruited player being given the captaincy of the club. A retiring or delisted ex AFL player like Brett Kirk or Brad Miller would at least put someone with a high skill level and experience at the front of the club, albeit totally dependant on which way our recruiting strategy goes and how we choose to spend our Salary Cap!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Nathan has only been here for 2 seasons now, good thought tho, both O'Keefe and Horne have leadership potential and could surprise if chosen, still its a long way off right now, but who can predict the future.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 pm

would have to agree with soapy, Crabby would be my pick
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by woodey on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Murphy,josh thulis,crab,boyd,parry,williams would all be great captains,lets hope the powers to be can get it right this time around maybe let some real south adelaide people choose them.
woodey

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:43 am

Hard to judge without knowing what goes on behind the scenes and the training track.

Thewlis would make a logical selection, with Crabby and perhaps Murphy as deputies. I'm not completely against the idea of a 'new-comer' like an O'Keefe doing the job either. Pick the best man for the job, regardless of background..

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 am

Insightful as always Woodey. Warren, Torney, Sampson must have all been poor choices then? How about having a little faith?
Get back to concentrating on what you do best and that's selling Budgets before the game and collecting cans after it.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:31 pm

woodey wrote:Murphy,josh thulis,crab,boyd,parry,williams would all be great captains,lets hope the powers to be can get it right this time around maybe let some real south adelaide people choose them.

Parry, Boyd, Williams left the club this year.....
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Mitch Sandery could be a smokey. Hopefully will find his 2009 form next season.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:38 am

i was just looking at safc.com.au and where the players blog link picture is warren and handbys pictures have been taken off and crate and murphy are now there, am i jumping the gun to assume they have been given the jobs?????????????
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Yes. But not on the fact that warren and handby have retired.
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum