2013 Season Predictions for SAFC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2013 Season Predictions for SAFC

Post by darley16 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

As a long term Southie iám usually bullish at the start of most seasons, however winning all trial games makes me nervous for a faltering season ahead, we've all seen this happen. This year iám not the normal doomsayer of the past, we do have a strong list both in league and reserves, excellent coaching panel, player stability, strong club management and board. Therefore my prediction for 2013 is to finish within the top 3 at the end of the home & away season.

Let's have your thoughts Southies, and iám getting a little carried away (keeping in mind we finished 2nd to bottom last year when most thought we'd play finals) or do i have justification for this early confidence?

darley16

Back to top Go down

Re: 2013 Season Predictions for SAFC

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 am

Yep guilty of having my hopes and dreams re South dashed many times before today too.!

Having said that Im pretty bullish re our chances this year too.
Realistically I think we will be a top 3 side.

In 2012 we won 1 less game than in 2011 when we played finals,and finished 2nd Bottom. In 2012 we lost 6 games by less than 2 kicks , and our record at home was appalling.
The reality is we dont have to improve that much to be right in the thick of it. It also seems that 2 powerhouse sides of the last decade are on the slide, Eagles and Centrals, and this will help us enormously.
Our pre season form is excellent, and yes I know you cant really take much from your form in March....but all you can do is win I guess????

It all starts this Friday v the Bays. We have to start making Hickinbotham Oval a fortress, and Friday gives us a chance to begin doing that. A good win and a strong performance will get us off to a great start, which we will need. We have a bye the following week so no excuses for the boys to rip in and brush the Bays aside.
Go Panthers. Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am

This is the most stable team south has had for a long time and with the experience the team has gathered over the last few years reckon this is our year to move up the ladder. We have some genuine guns in the league with Liddle, Cross, Wundke and Rolfe and if the rest if the boys can lift 5 percent and the new recruits like Eddy and Ahchee r as good as we hope I'm sensing a top 3 finish! Must improve home record and win at least 7 games at home starting with a win against the Bays. Still remember last year when Mckernan was dominating and somehow the bays beat us by 3 points then I got abused on the hill by some robust tigers fans. It really shits me to cop a spray at our home ground. You will be happy to know I gave them a serve back and may have informed them to re-think there dietary requirements. Anyway the lid Ian off I'm pumped will be under the stratco on Friday and I reckon if we play to our best we will smash them!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Removing Norwood from the equation, I really don’t think there is much between the remaining 8 sides, perhaps with Sturt lagging a little behind. Win the close games (especially at home) and we could push for top 3. Our core group of players have been together for a few years now so really in 2013 there are no excuses. Eddy at CHF will have a big say in how we perform I feel, especially on the wide expanses of Noarlunga.

5 of first 7 games are at home. Perfect opportunity to start the season well.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm

In my own expectations for South in 2013, I believe we have the side to go top 3.

Anything less then top 3 will be a disappointment in my eyes.

We have a great side, great coaching staff and management and financially we are one of the strongest sides in the SANFL.

The home game record will either make or break us so it is critical we start 2013 to a flying start and win at home.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:13 pm

I also am expecting a top 3 finish; Ronnie has been building this squad now for 4 years, apparent now we have depth in the senior squad.
The key however is consistency in our performance & mental toughness in getting over the line in the close ones.
We can't afford lapses (ie. 3rd quarter trial against Norwood) where we conceed goals easily.
Confidence will be a major factor, so the home win/loss record will be crucial.
No better way to start our campaign by smashing the bays!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am

Top 3
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 am

As I see it we need to have a real improvement shown in our win loss ratio at home, secondly its time for the club to stand up and beat Central either at home or at Elizabeth, if the home win ratio begins to improve and the club gets a decent win against the dogs then I will agree with you that we could be a top three side this season.

I like the look of our list at present, and if any year is one where we feel the club will improve then I do agree that this is it.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Simply we have to kick higher scores and get a lot tighter in defence. Then the ratio turns for the better!
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

I agree with most of what has been said, and share the optimism. The squad looks to have some depth even with unexpected departures and unlucky injuries (perhaps they can return later to a winning side sitting in the top 5). I think we're better off with Eddy than Ainger he's a clean mark and a straight forward player with a good attacking football brain. Ah Chee is another good pick up amongst some very good signings and they complement the experience and foundation of a very good list.
We were not far off the mark least year and if last weeks final quarter is any indication perhaps Ron has fostered the attitude that can stop the lapses that cost us so dearly.
A good draw, a sound start to the season with some wins at home, a building up of confidence - there's not a lot of difference between most of the sides and yep top 3 looks very achievable.
We can start by belting Glenelg to make up for that awful loss here last year, and then .....

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Trying to be as unbiased as possible - which is clearly impossible ... I look to tangible external guides. 4 weeks ago I put $100 on Sportsbet for South to go top and the odds were 1/31. I noted that access to betting then stopped. Last week Panther odds were 1/16. If it was a horse race the punters might be excited! go Panthers!!
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Got them at 17/1.

Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:33 pm

31/1 for me..... Shocked Shocked
blueandwhite