AFL Players in the SANFL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AFL Players in the SANFL

Post by Panther Pack on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Okay so I think the time has come for all AFL players to be permanently removed from the SANFL comp for good.

To be honest I don't really care where the Crows and Power reserves play but I don't want them in the SANFL league anymore. It compromises the league too much has too big an affect on results.

For example our round 1 loss to the bays. I honestly believe South has 1 of the best midfields in the league however Glenelg had an entire midfield of AFL listed players and what do you know they Won!!!!! I remember watching the centre bounces and thinking oh Ty Allen is not in the Square he is clearly there best midfielder but he wasn't required as the bays had Lynch, Lyons, Logan and Shaw rotating through there. Take those players out and South wins in my opinion.

To be honest South have always had sub par AFL listed players and this has hurt us when other SANFL clubs get great service out of their AFL players. McKernan is great when he is on the trouble is he is on 1 week a month if we are lucky.
Take AFL players out of the SANFL and I think South would do alot better!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: AFL Players in the SANFL

Post by saintal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 am

Personally I don’t have too many gripes with the current system. Yeah from a South point of view we haven’t been quite as lucky as some other clubs over recent years, but we’ve had good service from Andy Otten, obtained Bass via the Power, have had league regulars like Cook and O’Shea (ordinary footballers yes, but still were in our best 21). McKernan has won a few games off his own boot for us. Going back a little we had a couple of solid years from Bobby, and bits and pieces from Talia.

The recent contempt shown by the Power towards a few SANFL clubs has been very ordinary. I’m also disappointed the league has permitted the transferring of these players towards the Magpies. Fingers crossed the power puppets finish with the Spoon in what could possibly be their last season. If Mason Shaw doesn’t get a run in the league side on Friday night will that be the last we see of him I wonder. A joke.

Lastly I’m sure everybody here agrees that the SANFL is no place for AFL reserves teams. Yes the quality of the SANFL will take a hit with the loss of these players, but there is no way the AFL clubs can be allowed to run their seconds team in the SANFL. We don’t want to become the next VFL, which is a mickey mouse comp. I’m happy with the status quo on the proviso that the Power don’t keep shifting players to the Maggies.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 am

Agree with most of the comments above.

I think that the PAFC-"one club" has continuously showed contempt for the sanfl and its member clubs.
The way that the magpies are getting around their salary cap punishment by recruiting Power listed players from rival sanfl clubs by stealth is a disgrace. This is creating a quasi Power reserves side currently playing in the sanfl. The Port magpies supporters are very short sighted if they believe this a good thing, they probably dont realise it but I think their time in the sanfl is rapidly drawing to a close.
The news is that both Adelaide based AFL clubs want a reserves side in the sanfl as early as next year. I believe this will compromise our league having two sides that really are there not to win the premiership, but just to get match practice into their rookies and reserves. The VFL competition has been tarnished by this in a big way, the competition is a joke and 3 men and a dog go and watch the games over there.Sadly this was demonstrated last year when South played Williamstown on the MCG and our supporters outnumbered theirs by at least 3-1.

I am heartened to see in recent times two of the SANFLs coaches namely Collins and Bassett, both I might add with quite a bit of AFL experience, come out and blast any notion of AFL reserves sides in the SANFL.

Surely the SANFL and its clubs will not have a bar of this, will leave the SANFL in tact and leave it to what it does best, discover and develop local SA talent.
That will leave the Crows and the Power to look elsewhere to field their reserves teams. I beleive they will go knocking on the door of the VFL and will be probably be welcomed with open arms.
However there is no possible way that the cash strapped PAFC can afford to run and finance a reserves team that will commute to Melbourne on a regular basis, unless they are gifted some more $$$s from the AFL. If that is not forthcoming.... I think the SANFL Magpies may become surplus to requirements for the PAFC. Which would be a pretty sad thing.

Not sure where our club stands on these issues, would be interesting to know...... Rolling Eyes

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 pm

With McKernan now leaving us for Glenelg and you can bet your life Mason Shaw (if played this week in the ressies) will never wear our jumper again together with AFL players now influencing SANFL results the time is right to bring this AFL reserves/AFL players in SANFL to a head.
If as a comp we stand our ground and say NO to AFL reserves the SANFL will be only stand alone non-compromised historic senior football comp in the country. Magpies will be lost (which is a pity) but the comp will survive and i believe will thrive as a 8 team comp with more players to disburse between fewer clubs and the comp will attract more recently delisted AFL players from across the country will want to be recruited into what will be a truely competitive independent league that will be recognised as just that by AFL recruiters making it a "must play in" comp for all aspiring talent.

Like B&W would like to know SAFC views on the proposition hopefully our club can see the folly in such a dramatic and retrograde move for our league.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/mckernan-heading-for-glenelg/story-e6freckc-1226618124262

Maybe I should retract my comment about being reasonably happy with the status quo. What a %^&*ing crock. McKernan needs to pull his finger out. One game into the season..knee jerk reaction if i've ever seen one.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

This is exactly why all AFL listed players need to be removed from the SANFL!!!!!!! The League and teams are compromised in it's current form. I personally think South has always done the right thing by McKernan and too be honest his performances for a 5 year AFL player are not that flash compared to someone like a Brad Symes who dominated week in week out for Centrals while being on an AFL list. GET AFL PLAYERS OUT OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am

Perhaps McKernan is not a great loss, he has ability but he never plays 4 quarters, but it's a very similar role with us as it is at the Crows.
From what I hear he won't be missed. What really concerns me is that most of these AFL players never have as much impact on the game as they should (Cook) or they leave (Bollenhagen McNamara). There are exceptions (Torney & Otten) who have contributed but its a team game and sometimes they struggle to be part of that.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum