Round 5 at home v the Roosters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 5 at home v the Roosters

Post by Premier Panther on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Can we turn around our poor at home form against the Roosters?

Line Up:

F: Perrey, Wundke, Brooksby
HF: Snook, Eddy, Pfeiffer
C: McDonald, Liddle, Stribling
HB: Gotch, Thewlis, Miller
B: Redigolo, Hartigan, Tarquin Brown

R: Dowdell, McKay, Cross
INT: S. Taylor, Fields, Hourigan, Murphy, Crabb
IN: Hourigan, Murphy, Crabb
OUT: Rolfe (knee)

An opportunity to prove ourselves against a rated team in 2013......Let's do it!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 5 at home v the Roosters

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Our defence is going to be under the pump tonight,need the mids to get back and help out as well as get first use out of the middle.
Stewart and Lewis Johnston need to be kept quiet and we need to make the best of our chances.

Go Panthers! Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I agreed defence needs a hand and they will want to make up for last week. They are a good side but if we handle the footy like we did for majority of last week then we might just have the confidence to win at home. Johnston & Gordon are a couple to keep the ball away from

Go you Panthers
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Hopefully the boys are wearing the "AWAY" strip tonight.. Very Happy
Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Clubrooms pumping really sensing a win!!!!! Can you feel it????
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Had something else on tonight, so only got to listen to the final 1.5 Q on the radio. The last 10 mins of the 3rd obviously killed us, but sounds like we had our chances with the wind in the final term but didn't take them. North stemmed the momentum and bang..6 goal loss.

Any positives?

Looking at the stats...Got smashed in the disposal count. Anybody on Moore at any stage? Forward line again too reliant on Wundke by the looks of it. Liddle just the 13 touches. North very efficient when going forward..lack of pressure on the ball carrier?

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:46 pm

Liddle and Cross were crucified and got no protection from the umps.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 am

Another loss why do I bother. Just want to see a win at home.

Also reckon by mid winter we may start to see a few crowds below 1000. We have no supporters and when its cold and wet no one will want to watch another home loss.

Seriously we are a joke why would you follow South!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 am

Angry Again!

South Supporters have to question is it worth all the pain?

Umpiring was appalling, how Josh Thewlis got pinged for deliberate was astounding, & this was common theme for a number decisions through the night; I even had a couple of North Supporters near me scratching their heads.

Getting on to the game, North seemed to be a class above our side; To be honest the first half score I felt was flattering to us.

Question to Ron & the coaching staff, what's our defensive game plan? because I couldn't see any; North players were running unchecked, Campbell in particular in the 3rd didn't seem to have an opponent! The defensive zoning it not working, so far this season the opposition clear the ball with ease, little or no defensive pressure from our forwards.....FOR GOD SAKE GO MAN ON MAN if it’s going to make us more accountable!

Our possession count was well down on North’s, can't rely on Crossy & Lidds every week, others need to step up. Likewise up forward too much reliance on Wundke. Felt sorry for Crossy tried his guts out....for no reward.

When we did have the ball, no running to create space (Like North did), or when run was generated, it was running away from the ball carrier giving them no options.

Where do we go from here?

The club set high expectations preseason, Ron even came out & said himself this was the squad to go places.....WELL IT HASN'T HAPPENNED.....New Season....Same Sh#t!

As for our home ground.....don't get me started
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 pm

interesting with Crossy - leading possession getter for us, but his opponent had 12 more possessions than him. Crossy is a very good player, but can be very unaccountable
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Agree.

Why do we bother going to home games to see the same old s**t as per usual.

We did no favors with our membership packages to exclude the grassroot people that wanted to be a member of South and we also expect people to pay $14 to get in.

Fact is : you wont get people going to home games with our disgraceful record there. Once that is turned around people will come.

Not sure if this is the squad Ron was wanting for as if it is....we are in big trouble!!! (again the wheels of the bus go round and round.... Rolling Eyes )
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Id have to agree with Premier Panther thoughts but id like to add at least it was a improvement from the debarkle from West Adelaide and our reserves had a good win
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Yes, amongst the negativity it is easy to overlook a great performance from the reserves....well done! Hopefully this will continue, strengthen our depth & put pressure on the league line up & give the coaching staff more options.

Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:28 pm

One good thing was the form of Dowdell, who I think has improved out of sight. I also thought Keegan Brooksby had a good game.

The two I thought that didn't have a repeat of their game against Sturt were Snook and Miller.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Agree with most comments - its hard to remain positive when we cant seem to play our home ground to advantage. There were some good signs starting with the reserves and patches of the league game. Some players in the 2's who would have played league in past times and a few who aren't showing the same form of recent years.
We don't seem to have that team cohesion that North and West have developed recently that links up around big ovals. I reckon its a lack of team confidence and knowledge of other players ability and not enough running to space when we try to retain possession. A bigger oval can show up any weakness in skill levels. Snook had a downer and Miller has to play further back.
Need a win against the Eagles but its not going to get easier.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoop on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:40 pm

All photos from the game are now available for viewing and purchase on my website.
Cheers Smile
Scoop

http://www.insanitymultimedia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 am

Would be interesting to know how many teams have gone 1 and 3 and played finals, not many I bet. I spose theres a chance with a top 5 in a 9 team comp but realistically........
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 am

Tony Bamford appears to be doing a good job with the U18s. Although winless the results appear better this season, getting within 3 goals of undefeated North on the weekend. While I hate losing at least there is some signs of improvement there.

Surely Murphy comes back into the league side this week after a BOG performance in the magoos.

Last edited by saintal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 am

ryan wrote:Would be interesting to know how many teams have gone 1 and 3 and played finals, not many I bet. I spose theres a chance with a top 5 in a 9 team comp but realistically........

Eagles were zip-five last year weren't they?

In the SANFL you generally only need about 8-9 wins for 5th spot, so you never know. But as we all know unless you finish top 3 you're usually wasting your time.

For the record we started 2-2 in 2006 and 2011.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

From my view our endeavour was good but our skills let us down from which North capitalised. Moments of lapse concentration at vital period also cost us. We must man up on opposition players running freely out of defence, Kyle Miller is a running defender, play him there. Nick Murphy must be returned to the mid-field and playing 3 big men to include Daniel Bass to stretch opposition defenders and provide protection for smaller players like Crossy who was being attacked all night with thug tactics.

Don't wish to discuss umpiring but surely our club must lodge a complaint against an appalling performance that is not only insulting to players and spectators alike but embarrassing for the SANFL, not good enough!
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 am

I don't as I'm sure no South supporters want to see us just scrape in the finals I honestly thought 4 years into a 5 year plan we would be fighting for top 3 spot. With the exception of Sturt and maybe Port who else is worse than us?

My biggest fear.and it is becoming more and more likely is a mass exodus of players at the end of the season as they are sick of losing. Now people will say if they don't want to play for the Guernsey they can bugger off but really where does that get us. We said it to Boyd, Parry & Warren and they all of have premierships and we have nothing. So who really has the last laugh not us.

I am a supporter of Fuller but even he might turn around and say do I really need this??? I think the time has come for us to play like West did the last few years with spare men behind the ball. I know people say its defensive and boring footy but let be honest we would all take a win rather then continually lose at home. Teams don't even get excited when they beat us which is sad for us. They just expect it.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Interesting comments above,.....

I agree that the club should have something to say about the standard of umpiring on Friday night, it was just embarrassing to be honest. To see a ball clearly hit the behind post ,dribble back into play, a North player pick it up and kick a goal is something you may see in a B grade country game. Thewlis kick for a deliberate out of bounds summed it for me.. they clearly had no feel for the game or understanding of it.

I definitely agree that the defensive side of our game is lacking. We definitely let the ball out of our forward lines too easily. Sometimes without a contest, we're going to miss Rolfey because he is very good at that and applying pressure as well. A lot may have to do with poor delivery to our forwards too.
I do think our bigger guys need to protect our smaller men too with a few blocks and shepherds as Crossy and Lids are both being beaten up pretty badly by taggers. Dowdell has got to do more around the ground and needs to learn to hold a chest mark which he seems to drop more often than not.

Both Norwood and West- the 2 top teams, base their games on a defensive style of game, with vast numbers at the contest, numbers behind the ball, and quick runners to run through a line and deliver to forwards who have a paddock to move in and are generally one out with their opposition. not a pretty style of game but definitely proving effective.
Time for us to adopt a more defensive approach, not that Im an expert.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Yep, extra man in the back line should prety much fix everything. maybe we should put 2 there for home games just to make double sure we win. Idea

The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Centrals were the measuring stick by always having a man when they don't have the ball and backing themselves to beat their man. They did not need to have a ton of players behind the ball. Sure at their best they had a great team, but I don't believe they always had the best team they simply busted their guts for each other. We need to nail that crucial goal , make that tackle and believe we can actually win! Our effort against north is not in question it's weather the team believes it can win and drop the losing mentality. Ron could do worse than grabbing some footage of centrals in their prime and how they went about torturing teams year after year.Not rocket science, just hard hard work !!!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:08 pm

The Growl wrote:Yep, extra man in the back line should prety much fix everything. maybe we should put 2 there for home games just to make double sure we win. Idea

Do I detect a note of cynicism there Mr growl...??

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum