No AFL in the SANFL.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No AFL in the SANFL.

Post by Ben W on Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Greetings All,

For those that are following the No AFL in the SANFL campaign, please join us here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/sanfl/

Rumour is about that talks between the AFL and the SANFL are far advanced, I have plenty to say on this subject but would like you guys to have an opportunity to have a look at it first.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: No AFL in the SANFL.

Post by the prowler on Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 pm

So, before all this turns into a bun fight, are you for or against it.

I have better thing to do with my life than to go FACEBOOKING.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm

NO AFL in the SANFL for me. Reckon I wouldn't bother going if the Crows and Power have there reserves teams in the comp. Would ruin the comp and all the history ect. Plus South can't beat semi pro teams now what chance we got against full time players!!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm

I would be finished if this went through......

....just makes a complete mockery of the SANFL comp.

We have worked so hard to get where we are off field to have other clubs get 150K.

I would not follow footy anymore.

Will 400 members there would be less than that if this went through too. Embarrassing!!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:30 am

I've gone further, i have contacted the clubs CEO and expressed my concerns regarding this negative and ultimately destructive move will have on the SANFL comp. Our CEO Evan Arnold was excellent in listening to a silly old bugger like me saying that i no longer would be a paid up member SAFC nor could i maintain any interest in the competition itself.

Maybe if others did the same thing at all SANFL clubs people power could greatly influence the outcome. After all it is we the people who own the game and the 8 league directors who will eventually vote on this must represent the majority view of those who care for its future.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

yes agree with the sentiments above....If it happens that will be it for me.
I had it on pretty good authority that all 8 clubs in the sanfl were dead against afl reserves sides in the sanfl.
The fact that what essentially is blood money is being offered to the sanfl clubs as a sweetener is a disgraceful move. The AFL is cashed up because it has raped and pillaged sa footy for decades and given Jack shit back. Now in a move to help 2 of its clubs it suddenly finds the cash to extort its way into the sanfl.
The thought of that cash will certainly get the juices flowing at a few sanfl clubs that are struggling ie Sturt and West and Norwood. but I for one hope our club shows some spine and votes No to something that will surely destroy the SANFL after almost 140 years. Evil or Very Mad
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Sorry I should have stated that I am totally and utterly against the idea!

I very much like the way that the SANFL has moved back to its roots and become a suburban competition again and it wont worry me if there are no longer any AFL players playing in it, in fact in the long run I think that would actually help the SANFL.

The point that I made on some of the SANFL forums is that I will never give up on the SAFC, yet if I am forced to go and watch South play a match against the Cows or the Smears reserves then I expect to be thrown out by 1/4 time for the sheer vitriol that I intend to heap on their players. If they think they can walk into our competition and treat it like a second rate reserves competition and be welcomed with open arms they are very much mistaken!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Well sorry fellas, I think it will be a good idea in the long run. It might hurt a few clubs in the beginning, ours as well.

Unless the Crows and Power have their lists expanded in numbers they will not be able to fill two teams in their own rights, they will have to fill the numbers from SAAFL or the other local competitions.

The SANFL will have to restructure how the 2 AFL clubs enter the SANFL and hold the upper hand, one provision could be that these 2 clubs be made to play away matches each week having no home ground advantage and play on the same day as their AFL team if the AFL plays at home.

There are a lot of positives if you think it through, why not give it a try before you condemn.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:24 pm

You bring AFL reserves into the SANFL you might as well shut down South Adelaide. The AFL is getting.more and more professional and our league side playing a Crows or Power reserve side full of full time athletes vs our part timers we will get belted. Look at what Johncock did to us today. Lewis Johnston has destroyed us imagine Eddy against Hartigan Eddy would get destroyed. Given the serious lack of support South Currently has which was embarrassing today how many people r willing to watch our part time league team get smashed by full time athletes and anyone who thinks we would win is kidding themselves. You remove Liddle, Cross and Wundke from our current team and we are just non competetive!!!!!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:49 pm

I have concerns about the future of the SANFL if these two reserves teams get off the ground, regardless of where they play, however to minimise the damage to the SANFL there is no way that should be allowed anywhere near it. Would be the beginning of the end.

Reserves teams with their own agendas and priorities should not be competing in a league competition with a premiership at stake. Simple as that as far as I'm concerned.

If these 2 reserves teams are forced to play elsewhere, say the VFL, there will still be a trickle down effect on our league. The standard of the SANFL will naturally drop (at least in the short term), and top up players for the two ressies teams will need to come from somewhere. Mainstream media coverage of the league will also dwindle even further, due to focus now being placed on these two new and shiny sides.

I'm yet to read/hear a genuine positive from Port, Adelaide, or their supporters as to why the SANFL should allow their reserves teams in the comp.

Interesting but concerning times ahead.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Personally I would split the crows players in two groups half would play for us say the other half would play for sturt', every week we play about 18 recruits I just want us to be more competive every week not at the bottom of the ladder
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 pm

Like Darley I decided to contact Evan (just via email), outlining my thoughts on the subject. Made it clear that should the Reserves teams be permitted my support would be seriously questioned (Ditto for mates...both South and other club supporters)

In the unlikely event we were to "sell out" and directly align ourselves with the Crows (i.e Peel and Freo, and half of the VFL clubs) then supporting South would be so hollow it wouldn't be worth it.

Good to get it off my chest, even if it has little impact in the scheme of things.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 pm

From my observations i have reconsidered my stance on this issue. Given our dwindling supporter base and our massive debt which this year has had to restructure the payments to assist in on-going servicing, i now consider it would be irresponsible of the Board not to approach the AFC in order for South to be Crows reserves team.

I understand our long term future to be bleak, given the state of football in SA we must ensure that our club survives in any format and if it's as the Crows reserves team so be it.The intrinsic failure of the club it now has the same stench to it like clubs such as Woodville, West Torrens, Fitzroy, South Melbourne. Those stand alone clubs are gone as will SAFC unless we take this opportunity.

This breaks my heart in saying this but i see no other means of  long term survival in the changing landscape of football, gaming legislation and society shift.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Well if the club decides to be Crows reserves I hope they No longer call themselves South Adealide as South Adelaide would be dead!!!!!! I would not be renewing my membership nor would I go to games and prob wouldn't even eat at the club which I usually do once a fortnight with my missus. My 2 brother in laws and my best mate are all South members but I dare say they would also walk away. What we like about the SANFL and South Adelaide is that is a point of difference to the AFL and that the club represents the area. We all live within 5 to 10 mins drive of the club but if they become crows bitch then seeya later. This isn't a threat to the club just the reality of where I sit as a member of the club.

Rather than be a whinger I have also contacted the club and expressed my concerns.

Last edited by Panther Pack on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:46 pm

South Adelaide is a community club...not the Crows 2nd side !!!

If this was the case I would walk and not follow the SANFL at all. (I dont follow AFL).

It would be a Adelaide Thunderbird membership for me with my daughter.

My grandfather and grandmother, my Mother and my Uncle (all passed away) were South die hards through and through.....to see this would be absolutely devastating to me and I am sure they would come down the club to haunt the place!!! Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:17 pm

An alignment would be the end of South as we know it. It would become South Mark II. As Southee said our status as a “community” club would be greatly diminished IMO (although we obviously still have a long way to go currently when it comes to getting the southern community on board).

Junior players would be tempted jump ship to other SANFL clubs, where there are 21 spots up for grabs for a league game, as opposed to 3-10 depending on the Crows’ injuries and intentions. Sure some might stay on, as the lure of playing alongside AFL players and under the watchful eye of AFL coaches may appeal.  

The supporters lost with the change would not be equally replaced by new-comers, far from it. IMO.

What happens if in say 5 years’ time the AFL bring in a national ressies comp? Or the Crows decide to move the players elsewhere, either within the SANFL or elsewhere? The club will be left to rebuild without a substantial base. How long until we’d be wearing their jumper for away games, or playing curtain raisers at Adelaide Oval at 10am on a Sunday to appease them?

You only have to have a quick look at the VFL, and a read of some the VFL online forums, to realise the impact of a club selling their soul to the AFL.  

If it was a choice between the club shutting its doors or realigning… actually I don’t really want to think about that. Cool

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by JJH on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

South Adelaide Crows?!?!?!?!?!?affraid
JJH

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

JJH wrote:South Adelaide Crows?!?!?!?!?!?affraid

Not in yours and my lifetimes !!!
the prowler