South v WWT Eagles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South v WWT Eagles

Post by saintal on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:52 pm

In: C. Daniel, Bass, Haines, Fields
Out: Mcdonald (ressies), Dowdell (jumped ship)

South Adelaide is poised to unleash two debutants against the Eagles at Hickinbotham Oval on Saturday.
Pint-sized teenager Caleb Daniel (16, 168cm and 68kg) and midfielder Joseph Haines (20, 182cm and 72kg) have been rewarded for their strong form in the reserves.
Daniel, a midfield ball magnet, has progressed from the Panthers’ Under-18 side this season while Haines, originally from Waikerie, is the son of 1971 Knuckey Cup winner Peter Haines.
Peter Haines played 151 games for the Panthers between 1969-78, while Joseph Haines’ grandfather Colin also played for South, managing 121 matches which included 37 for the combined South/Sturt outfit from 1942-44.
‘’Caleb dominated the competition at Under-18 level, came up to the reserves and has been in our best couple in the games he’s played at reserves level,’’ South football manager Neill Sharpe said.
‘’The coaching staff was keen to get him in and he’s certainly well-respected by his peers already. Joe Haines has been very solid at reserves level for about six weeks so he really deserves his opportunity as well. He is a powerful lad and keeps improving all of the time.’’
Key defender Tom Fields and former Power rookie Daniel Bass have also been included in the Panthers’ 23-man squad.
Former Sturt midfielder John McDonald has been dropped while Crows rookie Ben Dowdell has transferred to SANFL club Central District in search of more opportunity at league level.
‘’It’s obviously disappointing to lose Ben,’’ Sharpe said.
‘’But Keegan Brooksby has improved greatly this year and has been carrying our ruck load. Daniel Bass and Ben Dowdell have been competing for that back-up ruck spot. Alex Cailotto, who is new at the footy club this year, has been in good form in the reserves and we’ve got Peter Steffe playing in the State Under-18s and Mitchell Taht in our Under-18s as well. We reckon we’ve got a few options so it will give us a chance to find out with Daniel and Alex Cailotto set to play league footy.’’

saintal

Back to top Go down

Re: South v WWT Eagles

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Playing at home what more is there to say. 

Could be a tiny crowd. 

Once again we come up against a former player in Ainger expect him to have a day out like both Warren and Boyd have this season.

Any chance we might see someone exert a physical presence on the game!!!!! We desperately need to recruit some physical in your face type players, when the chips r down we don't have anyone who does this.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Hopefully Hartigan does another number on Ainger. Daniel is a good story, would be good to see him make his debut. A little surprised Shaw didn't get a call up, given how inept our forward line has been this season. Need something out of Snook this week, has been very quiet since the Unley game and I'm not sure how he keeps retaining his spot.

Wont be much of a crowd, lucky to pull 1500. No Parry or Redden this time for the Eagles, which is a plus. Most clubs coming off a 114 humiliation in the last meeting would be keen to atone for it, but with South..how knows?! Neutral

Also noticed that Curtis Perrey has returned to Langhorne Creek. Always appeared to be a good clubman who couldn't quite string together enough good performances at league level.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 am

Has Curtis Perrey's departure been announced by the club??

If so, I am in shock if he has left as I thought he was a great talent and never given enough games for a chance to cement himself in the side.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:18 am

I haven't noticed anything official P74. I read it in the Adelaide Hills newspaper (The Courier). Had a story about him playing for Langhorne Creek on the previous weekend. To paraphrase his quotes...Basically said he'd spent the bulk of the past two years in the twos and was getting a little tired of it, and wanted a change.

Agree that there was something about him that suggested he could have been handy at league level, but as is often the case those small forward/flank types are the first to get the chop after a defeat.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:11 am

Perry had lots of chances, but just never showed anywhere near enough. All the best to him at creek. Hope hartigan does another great job on the "money before your mates" bloke.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 am

Hopefully Daniel Caleb gets a game along with Hains.
Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:58 pm

two goals up 5 mins. before half time and three turnovers in the Eagles 50 hand them 2 goals to go to the break all even.

Then a 3rd term where we lost all direction to be 6 goals+ down at the last break.

The last quarter was a dour affair with only a goal or two scored so time on was about 38 seconds.

It's bad enough sitting in the grandstand where the seats are covered in pigeon shit. Luckily there were only 8 members plus the reserves so we were all able to find a cleanish spot. 

Where the F.. are we gonna get another forward. Crabby tried hard but his timing on his leads was woeful.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Thought the first quarter and 20 minutes of the 2nd quarter was very good we were at least having a crack then it was all down hill On a positive note our two young players showed a bit in there first game of league footy Caleb Daniel must be the smallest player to play league footy ever made Nick Liddle tall
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:10 pm

We don't need another forward spirit ...

... That is why Fuller got rid of McKernan .....we had way to many already !Rolling Eyes
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Hard to be positive. First quarter and a half was good in terms of intensity but after that very flat! It's gonna be a long season!!!!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm

I think we need to move Fuller on. I'm not having a dig at him personally but I can't see him taking us to a flag. His game plan just doesn't work in the modern game. Ask yourself this Port Magpies flogged us with a coach who is in his first year and today they defeated Norwood meanwhile we are bottom, exactly where we were when Fuller was appointed and the average losing margin is pretty similar to 2009.

We have won only 7 from 36 games at home since Fuller has been coach.

Remember Fuller is on record as saying he has the squad he needed to take us into the finals and well lets be honest we could not be further away. So why did he say this? I believe him when he says the squad is talented but as previously mentioned the game plan just doesn't seem to be good enough.

In 2011 we made finals and North didn't now look at North and they lost their captain, a megarey medalist, last years BNF winner and a few to the AFL. How can North now be so far ahead of us 18 months later and I think it is because Francou is in touch with the modern game.
4 years as coach is plenty time to implement a game plan and we r bottom so I say its time for a change of coach.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:57 pm

We need to do something as this is just not good enough! 
Ron was probably a bit off the radar when he said this is the best squad he has had in four years, as it clearly not! 
There must be some element of disharmony at the club because some of the blokes who are good players are just not playing like they should be! 
If someone can suggest otherwise please tell me I am looking through negative glasses because some hard decisions will have to be made and soon!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Dont know what is going on but there is something deep going on within......

...These senior players have not set the standards they are capable of. Seems to be a big attitude problem out there and very little emotion or teamwork (pats on the back, encouragement for team mates, limited voice). 

Anyone tell me why Stribling and Eddy were dropped before the game??

Disciplinary issues????
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Decent, albeit very scrappy, effort for nearly two quarters, before we barely gave a yelp after half time. The final 5 minutes of the 1st half were telling, and robbed us of any momentum at half time, and after the interval our pressure dropped away and our ball use became diabolical.

Trying to find some positives, so....Caleb Daniel showed a bit in his first outing, and the passage of play that Aerie mentioned was a rare highlight today. Hartigan again gave every South supporter's favourite opposition player a bath, his only kick coming thanks to a generou$ holding the man decision. Brooksby continued his good form, and if all the players displayed the passion this bloke does we'd be in a much better place. Liddle the pick of the mids.

Shockingly small crowd, but sadly not unexpected.

A win looks a while off.Crying or Very sad

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

If a positive could be found from todays game it would have been Calebs debut, Crabb playing CHF and Haines debut, the first half was woeful from both sides, then we added nothing in the second half, a lot of triers but could not win a position in the back half.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoop on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Disappointing to hear that Curtis may have left to play back at Langhornes, especially since I'm his player sponsor. I had no idea he'd gone until I read it above and I agree, I think he gave us a bit in the 1's and disposal was pretty good, something we lack going into the forward lines. 

He's been a good clubman and I wish him and his family well for the future.
Scoop

http://www.insanitymultimedia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Greetings from the Serengeti in Tanzania...
got to say sad to read details of yet another uninspiring performance.....
from the sounds of it the players, with a few exceptions, seem to be almost as disillusioned as what is left of our membership and supporter base.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by scooby68 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 am

Our skill level is not up to league standard at the moment. This is hurting us, we turn the ball over to much and get caught on the break. Our squad is good enough to compete we recruited well on paper but have not belled. We handpass to our played ankles or behind and kick the same we are always going to struggle.
So far eddy has done little we need another target up forward we are to wundke concsious, snook is a crumbing forward but inconsistent.
Last year we lost 6? games by under two goals and didn't get beaten by 10goals, this year 2defeats by over 100 points and then some other heavy defeats. What has changed? I believe a lot is our skill level.
scooby68

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm

scooby68 wrote:Our skill level is not up to league standard at the moment. This is hurting us, we turn the ball over to much and get caught on the break. Our squad is good enough to compete we recruited well on paper but have not belled. We handpass to our played ankles or behind and kick the same we are always going to struggle.
So far eddy has done little we need another target up forward we are to wundke concsious, snook is a crumbing forward but inconsistent.
Last year we lost 6? games by under two goals and didn't get beaten by 10goals, this year 2defeats by over 100 points and then some other heavy defeats. What has changed? I believe a lot is our skill level.

I have mentioned on this forum and the other one on a few occasions over the last few years that our skill levels are no as good as other clubs, If you cannot kick and mark to a high standard why are you playing at this level.

No player is perfect at it, and I have seldom seen players being taken aside and re learning the fundamentals of these skills. One thing I have notice over the years is the Victorian recruits we have can all mark the ball with a one grab movement wether it be wet or dry, and can hit a moving target with the foot, something lacking in our boys, and having Crabb playing at CHF looks to me like it could be a very good move.

the prowler

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum