AFL reserves teams proposal.

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AFL reserves teams proposal.

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Media Release from the SANFL below:

Tuesday 30th July 2013
SANFL COMPETITION – MEDIA STATEMENT

The South Australian Football Commission has tonight formally presented a model by which the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs could enter teams in the SANFL competition in 2014.

The Commission has endorsed a negotiated model which delivers financial benefits for the SANFL clubs while protecting the integrity of the competition and has proposed the model to the SANFL League Directors.

The League Directors agreed to present the model to their respective boards for consideration prior to reconvening to consider their response.

A summary of the model is as follows:
- One league team from the Adelaide Football Club enters the SANFL from 2014, forming a 10-team competition. The Port Adelaide Magpies become the second team of the Port Adelaide Football Club;
- The 2014 SANFL competition would become an 18-round home-and-away season with all clubs playing each other twice;
- Each of the nine existing SANFL clubs would have 10 home games – the Adelaide Football Club’s SANFL team would play all its games ‘away’;
- The AFL clubs would pay each SANFL club a guaranteed uplift per annum;
- The AFL clubs would work closely with the SANFL and clubs on game development throughout the community; and
- The AFL clubs’ SANFL teams would not wear the AFL club’s jumper, will not be called by the AFL club’s nickname and would carry no AFL club sponsorship partners.

Top up players required by the AFL clubs’ SANFL teams would be provided by the other SANFL clubs on an as-needs basis. These would be 18-22 year-old players not currently playing league football.

The model commits the AFL clubs to the SANFL for a minimum of 15 years with the SANFL to review annually.

“It is the Commission’s belief that the recommended model protects the integrity, the relevance, game development and club and competition viability,” SA Football Commission Chairman John Olsen said.

“It provides the SANFL and its clubs with certainty about the future of our competition while also providing the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs the best competition outside of the AFL in which to test themselves.

“The alternative to this course of action exposes the SANFL to reduced corporate interest and reduced media coverage while also threatening the relevance of the competition as the best outside of the AFL.”

MODEL IN DETAIL

Listed players
All AFL listed players (including Rookie listed) to play with AFL support team should they not be in their AFL team.

Top Up players – leadership player
AFL clubs can contract one ‘leadership’ player per season.
28 years and over, must have been on AFC or PAFC respective lists.

Top Up players – other
18 – 22 years old, on an SANFL Club list.
Players selected at start of pre-season in conjunction with SANFL clubs.
AFL and SANFL clubs to review at agreed points throughout season.
Top-up players cannot play against their home SANFL club.
SANFL club has first rights to any top up player at League level during the minor round.

SANFL League Finals qualification
No qualification criteria for AFL listed players during the SANFL finals series when AFC/PAFC are still involved at AFL level.
Should AFC/PAFC not be involved in AFL finals, a player must have played the majority of his football at SANFL level, or 3 of the last 5 games at SANFL level to qualify.

Competition commitment
AFL clubs to commit to ‘playing to the line’.
Will not rest players and take up elective surgery options.
SANFL doctor to provide 2nd opinion on surgeries before end of season.
Will commit in writing to these points, to be in club and head coach charters.

Support Staff
AFL clubs to commit to not recruiting support staff directly from SANFL clubs.

Home Venue
AFC will not have a home venue; will play as away team throughout the minor round.

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE

Licence Fee
AFL clubs to pay a licence fee to the SANFL for their involvement.

Membership
AFL clubs will not sell SANFL team membership.
SANFL to explore joint membership options with AFL clubs, including access to SANFL games.

Branding
AFC support team not to be branded Crows.
AFC support team not to wear Crows-style AFL guernsey in the SANFL.

Sponsorship
AFL clubs not to attract sponsors for their SANFL team.

Media
AFL clubs to generate interest in SANFL competition and other SANFL clubs through media activation, social media and online.

Community Engagement
AFL clubs to commit to working with SANFL clubs in promoting pathways to AFL Football.
In lead up to SANFL games, AFL clubs will help promote the game in tandem with the SANFL club within their promotional zone.

Commitment
AFL clubs to commit to the SANFL competition for 15 years, reviewed by the SANFL on a yearly basis.

COMPETITION STRUCTURE

SANFL Fixture
Focussed on maximising attendances for SANFL teams
25 week season from start to end; start date to be set once AFL fixture is known
18 minor round matches over 21 weeks
1 bye for State Game
2 split rounds
10 home matches per Club

Salary Cap
Reduced by $20,000 per SANFL club as acknowledgement of reduction in minor round matches.

South Australian National Football League Inc | AAMI Stadium - Turner Drive, West Lakes SA 5021
Phone: (08) 8268 2088 Fax: (08) 8424 2285 Website: www.sanfl.com.au
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: AFL reserves teams proposal.

Post by saintal on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Time to make your opinion known to the club if you haven't already.

Joke of a proposal and an insult that the commission can endorse this BS.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

It is a lengthy statement but I think it asks more questions than it answers.

1. How can you justify LOWERING the salary cap by 20k...when sanfl clubs will have to find more players to fill the void left by AFL players.?
2. Tell me how can it be a level playing field if the sanfl salary cap is 320k and a team comprised of say 15 AFL players would be on a salary of say 100k each on average.?
4. Someone please tell me what happens at sanfl level when the 2 afl reserves sides have qualified for finals- along with their AFL teams playing in finals, will any players be available for SANFL duty?

Personally Im bitterly disappointed that that this proposal has even got this far. This will certainly compromise the SANFL competition, destroying almost 140 years of tradition in a flash. The Adelaide based AFL clubs since their inception have bled the sanfl dry financially, and now because they need a crutch to lean on,they are going to destroy the very competition which was and still is their base.

I love my club very much, its hard to support it at the best of times given our track record over the last 50 years, but if this proposal gets up.... Im pretty sure I'll be finding something else to do on Saturday afternoons.

I know that SAFC board members and officials read this site- regularly. I plead with all supporters to make their feelings known on this important issue either in person or on this site .
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:13 pm

You would of thought the club call a meeting with members/supporters about this a while ago where they stand like the Norwood footy club did .... We are still waiting !

The no communication about this issue seems to me what the club may be thinking on this.

If this goes through ... I'm out !

Time to get serious but will our voice make a difference when $$$$ maybe talking .... Will the club take the carrot ??
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 am

How could details to members if they just got the details themselves? Geez you love a winge? Agree with Blue and White - seems to be some detail missing - is this saying the that magpies must gibe up their reserves, juniors and zone? If so, I think it is worth some thought
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 am

Think it means magpies as we know then will be extinct come September 2013.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 am

Good
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am

I emailed Evan Arnold a few months back on behalf of myself, 2 brothers In law and best mate about this issue. We are all members of the club and have supported south for a number of years however if the club votes yes to allow the AFL clubs into the SANFL then none of us will renew our memberships or attend games. I'm not trying to be alarms about this issue but we have discussed it over a number of months and cannot justify throwing money at a lost cause.
Our major concern is how do part time semi professional players compete with full time athletes? All the other state leagues with AFL reserves are currently being lead by the AFL clubs and with the AFL only getting more and more professional I don't think part time players will be able to compete. South are non competitive against other semi professional teams how can we honestly beat full time athletes? Hartigan has been our best player AFL listed Johnston from North killed us and he is another AFL player.
My brother in law has followed the Power and South for years but if he is made to choose he will follow the Power as it makes no sense to follow Power in AFL and not there reserves also. How many other people will do the same???
Anyway these are just the thoughts of a few members of the South Adelaide football club if the club votes yes we will be former members. I don't know if the club cares what its members think and I don't think anything I say now will change any minds but I will always look back at my time following South fondly. 2006 finals defeating port at Adelaide Oval was a real highlight. This may also be the last time I post I just hope the club can inform its members and supporters soon of its decision. Not holding the club at ransom but as mentioned previously won't throw money at a lost cause.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 am

I also expressed my feelings to Evan a few months back when this first started gathering momentum. Emailed him again this morning in light of last night’s news and asked if they are going to give members the option to a) provide formal feedback/thoughts through a survey or meeting and b) to hear the club’s thoughts on the proposal. What’s in it for us if we vote yes? I’d be very interested in hearing somebody from the club actually answer this honestly and sell the benefits to the members. It’s a crucial time for all SANFL clubs, and if the situation is not handled well and respectfully the loss in memberships and supporters could be crippling.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 am

Ive just emailed the CEO and 2 board members with my concerns. I would urge everyone to do the same.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 am

My initial reaction to this statement is one of disgust! After all this time and given its importance i was expecting this historical statement to provide clarity like something from "The Sermon on the Mount', inspiration like from the 'Gettysburg Address'. What this is equal to is the compromised, conflicting and ultimately doomed "Treaty of Versailles"!
If this is the best arrangements that those who manage OUR game, these temporary custodians of our 140 year league then they need to go back and think a little harder with a bit more care. This flawed arrangement treats lightly on maintaining integrity and relevance but is heavy on supposed financial benefits, that's it, that's all. That is NOT enough!

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 pm

AFC to play all their games 'away', but PAFC still get 10 at Alberton? I wonder how long that will last before someone has a whinge?

Some of the points meet my expectations, like finals qualifications etc, but the salary cap thing is a joke, especially for the current sides who have a higher contribution from AFL players. I'm thinking of Sturt and the Bays in particular.

Can it. I'm a partial Crows supporter, but take your reserves to the VFL thanks. Oh, and the Power reserves with you.

Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Dropping the salary cap anymore and we may as well become an amateur league comp playing against phos Camden and the like!!!
Dropping the amount of games played per season is crap as well. Bloody amateur!
I' wasn't originally totally against the idea but that is changing by the minute and you know what, the two teams can rack off to the VFL!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:44 pm

It seems as though the proposal put forward is altering by the minute.
Apparently to make the proposal more palatable Mr Trigg has softened his stance on garnering "top up" players from SANFL clubs. Where he intends to find them... who knows..?

Mr Triggs statement yesterday that he will not except anything other than a unanimous vote from the SANFL clubs is extroadinary. Its obviously a plan to put pressure on the nay sayers who may stand in the way of getting it through, who would be in turnunder pressure from financially struggling rival clubs to support it.
On the one hand Mr Trigg is saying if the proposal doesnt get through he'll gladly put his reserves side in the amateurs next year...on the other hes changing the proposal "on the run" to make it more palatable for the SANFL clubs. Which is it?

There is a  financial carrot being dangled at sanfl clubs - not sure how much it is, depends on who you listen to, but it seems its somewhere between 40k and 80k to each club. While this may sound attractive to the clubs that are in financial difficulties, to me if its 40k it would barely pay the interest on our loan for 12 months....$40k to compromise our competition.....

Personally I dont have an issue with the Crows side playing in our reserves competition.There they will cause minimum disruption to the sanfl and its surely a better standard for them than the Amateurs.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:22 pm

I received this email from Evan Arnold Club CEO this afternoon, did you all get yours?, those who have an email address listed with the club

Dear Member of the South Adelaide Football Club,

On Tuesday night the SA Football Commission recommended a proposal to the SANFL League Directors by which the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs could enter teams in the SANFL competition in 2014. As members of the South Adelaide Football Club we would like to invite you to an Information Session on this proposal on Tuesday 6th August from 5.45pm – 6.30pm in the Zone Room, Jimmy Deane’s at the South Adelaide Football Club. The session will include a brief presentation on the proposal by CEO, Evan Arnold, which will start promptly at 5:45pm followed by an opportunity for you to share your views. This is an important step in a process for the South Adelaide Football Club to consider all information as we form a position on this proposal that will be communicated to our League Director. The acceptance or otherwise of this proposal will be determined by a vote by the League Directors at a future date and as such we will not be making public our position on this matter.

If you wish to attend the information session please RSVP by replying to this email by close of business on Monday 5th August and we look forward to seeing you on the night here at Hickinbotham Oval.

Regards,

E Arnolds Signature

Evan Arnold

Chief Executive Officer
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes received. Plan on going. Credit to the club for doing the right thing and arranging this.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:32 am

I will be there also.

Pity in a way it had to be scheduled the same night as the Foxtel Cup Grand Final is on, I was planning to go and watch that, looks like I wont be getting there till the end of fist half.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 am

Yep i'am there, really interested in our clubs stance and how this proposal will either benefit or negatively impact (maybe a bit of both) on our club.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:09 pm

I will most definitely be there.Very Happy 
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoop on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Have already RSVP'd to attend.
Scoop

http://www.insanitymultimedia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:53 am

Would love to go but no way I can make it from The Hills to Noarlunga in time.

Would someone be so kind as to give the rest of us a heads up on the discussions post meeting? Muchos Gracias!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Likewise unable to attend due to work committment; Will be eternally grateful if someone would be good enough to post the meeting outcome please
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Same here....with the time I just could not make it with work commitments.

Hope someone is kind to inform posters on here soon. Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Went along. Probably 50 or so members turned up. Some thoughts:

- Evan didn't give much away as to his/the club's position on this. Peter Alexander spoke well with some passion. The club was originally a "No" out of principal before the details had been presented, and naturally were obliged to consider the proposal.
- The club's main concerns were with the original top-up player arrangement, which has since been scrapped, the drop off in crowds for games against the AFL clubs, (they are sceptical about the suggested growth in crowds/interest) and the SANFL losing that "point of difference" with the other state leagues.
- Basically every member who spoke (bar 1) was against the proposal, for the reasons that have been widely mentioned on forums etc. One of the first blokes who spoke summed up the situation perfectly I felt.
- Each club will receive a 40K payment, with another figure of about 10K for promotion etc
- When asked about the potential benefits for the club, Evan didn't present them with much conviction, which perhaps suggests he doubts the legitimacy of them like most of us do. Apart from the $$ (which in my opinion is underwhelming given the likely fall in attendances/members), the other positive mentioned was the potential to work with the AFL clubs to promote footy in the southern area. I can't see they this couldn't be arranged regardless..
- Evan felt as though the idea of the AFL teams playing in the SANFL reserves deserved greater attention than what it received
- Mentioned that the proposed TV deal with C7 is not hinging on the AFC's involvement in the league
- Port status quo for 2014, but for 2015...? The general feeling is the PAMFC wont be as we currently know it.
- The board was meeting tonight to make a decision on the proposal as it stands currently. Yet to decide how this decision will be communicated.
- I'm fairly confident/hopeful that the club will vote NO.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 am

Yes, that puts it pretty well as to what was discussed.

Many of those who attended tonight (I counted 36 including Evan, no disrespect for your estimate saintal) were the club stalwarts who are seen at all important issues the club has, it was refreshing to see half a dozen or so new faces that I had not seen a lot of, thanks for attending fellows and having an input to your club, I feel sure it was taken on board by management who were there tonight, weather any of the comments made tonight bare fruit at the Board meeting tonight who knows, lets hope so.

I feel confident the SAFC will let the members know which way they voted on this issue as soon as it is announced by the SANFL, by which ever media out let they use weather it be email or snail mail.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum