Senior Coach

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Senior Coach

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Senior Coach is in his 4th year of a 5 year deal.

As the Senior Coach is responsible for the weekend results and also the composition of the squad 2 questions need to be asked.
1. Have we improved in the past 4 years?
2. Can Ron win us a premiership?

I would say No to question 1.

Currently the league team is 8th, reserves are 8th & U18 are also 8th.
6 of the 12 losses for the league team are by 10 goals or more with 3 of those 100 plus beltings!!!!!!
Whats most concerning is the average losing margin for the season is a whopping 58.25. That is more than the average losing margin of 2009.
Another reason why I would say no to question 1 is Ron has had 4 years to build his team Clay Sampson only had 2 yet as mentioned we are 8th with a bigger losing margin than 2009.
Now it could be argued that Ron is developing the club from the bottom up however given both the reserves and 18's are 8th I don't buy that. Also working against that theory is there are only 5 local lads currently featuring in the league side. Murphy, Crabb, Redigolo, Veide and Daniel and only Daniel has debuted during the Fuller years.
Now I know people will probably say we don't have the cattle in our zone but isn't 1 of the main tasks of the Senior Coach to develop our zone and given he has had 4 years to do this I'm not seeing improvement.

I am also going to say No to question 2 we won't win the flag next year. So the follow up question to that is to you re-sign Ron for a further year or 2 beyond next year? Given his record over the first 4 years I would say he does not warrant a contract extension.
So if the Coach can't take us to a flag next year and doesn't deserve a contract extension is it better to let him go at the end of this season? I say yes the club should move him on at the end of the season. The club needs to give someone else a go and not waste another season with a coach that isn't going to win us a flag.

Now I know some supporters will say don't sack Ron cause we have done that with previous coaches and it didn't work for the club but I would say 2 things to that.
1. When u start a new job do you want to be compared to previous employees or have the job based on your own merits?
2. if we didn't extend Clay Sampson's contract after 2 years of failure how can you justify continuing with Ron given he has 4 years to put a squad together and the average losing margin is bigger than 2009?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: Senior Coach

Post by Panther74 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Good post.

Agree 100%.

The difference between Sampson and Fuller is he is Fuller and not Sampson......think you know what I mean.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Cant argue with any of that PP.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm

The coach signed a 5 year contract which expires the end of next year. He made it clear (as i recall) that a the end of the 5 year term he would be retiring from footy to do some travel. The question really is does the club stand by the 5 year contract with 1 year remaining or terminate the contract at the end of the season thereby having to payout the uncompleted year, plus start paying the new coaches salary for next year? The club doesn't have the money to do that. Therefore the only thing possible is for Ron to realize that he can't bring the club forward in his final year and decides he'll leave it for someone else to have a crack.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

So if Ron doesn't walk we can expect another season sitting in the cellar. OUCH!!!!
Also if he stays is this likely to mean more players leave the club at the end of the season.
Must admit I'm shocked that the 5 year deal didn't come with KPI's on performance (top 5 finish, top 3 finish) it appears to an outsider that it is just an unconditional 5 years!!!!! Not many AFL coaches even get 5 year deals.
Really deflated with where the club is or more to the point isn't going!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 pm

It seems that the answer to both of these questions is NO. My thinking is that the missing ingredient is Team spirit . We are playing with less enthusiasm and accountability than before. We don't see a UNITED group of players who appear to give 100% for The Guernsey The Team The Club or Each other.
The second part is our new game plan which is either not good enough or our players haven't got the skills to execute.
I have been following South for 50 years and the pain of being thumped and hardly ever playing finals is turning to numbness. When Ron Fuller was appointed I believed that he would help to create a culture whereby win or lose OUR CLUB/TEAM would play with integrity and earn RESPECT. It hasn't happened.
Is it our culture? This is probably not just about Ron but he plays a large part. I believe we should be grooming our next Coach and perhaps Ron should mentor him for the last year of his contract.
I enjoy seeing the likes of Caleb Daniel Darcy Hourigan progress but am disappointed to lose Boyd Parry & Warren. Recruits like Seccul, Fields are good pick ups but if our players don't support them and Liddle Cross etc on the oval they may leave and our club will have achieved nothing over the last 4-5 years. The coach has a lot to answer for in this area.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm pretty sure when fuller was appointed he had KPIs .....there was a letter about it at the time .

Don't know what happened there ??
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Another season like this would be hideous!!! The season as a whole has been shocking! We may have won five games but it feels like we haven't won any!
The style of football played is crap!! Slow inefficient and doomed for failure!!!
Get Michael Nunan to teach some skills over summer! Players need to be inspired, and at the moment besides the usual suspects they don't seem an inspired lot at all!!!
On this seasons non competetive efforts I cannot see next season being much better unless there is some big player inclusions next season and or a change in coaching personnel.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Every club has a equal salery cap why is it we are allways the easy beats first thing I would do get someone like Michael Doughty to coach let Ron Fuller assit him or mentor him pretty sure this was our plan in Rons last year'; recruit players that can take us higher on the ladder not reserves Sorry to say I think we have only 10 to 12 players that are up to league standard
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by panther67 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 am

we can't afford to lose many players as I fear will happen if Ronnie is there. They will have to be replaced by more recruits as the pickings are slim from within.
I too would assume that he couldn't be living up to his KPIs and thus must go.
very disappointing again.
I too have been following south for 45+ years.
panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Club MUST remove Ron at the end of the season!!!!

Another loss at home today.

Game plan is beyond a joke why did Ron allow a spare Port player to be 20 metres in front of Wundke all game???? How are we going to kick a winning score when we allow them loose players in defence???

Has been going on all season and it is just.not good enough!!!!

Crowds are also embarrassing wouldn't have been 700 people there today people have had enough and crowds will only get worse if the club just accepts this and sticks with the coach!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:32 pm

I thought today was de - day for Fuller.

The result proves he must go.

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:39 pm

It was a cold wet miserable day, it was our home track, the closeness of the scores kept any interest in the game alive, other than that it will just be marked down as another loss at home and increase Ports win/loss tally against us.

I listened to the game on the radio today, at one stage I thought the commentators nodded off to sleep. Cannot blame South people staying home when results like todays is the norm. Yes, its time for Ron to go at seasons end.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54 pm

To the Prowler yes supporters and members probally think its time for a change but I don't think the people in charge have that same thinking
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 pm

paul wrote:To the Prowler yes supporters and members probally think its time for a change but I don't think the people in charge  have that same thinking
I would absolutely dread 2014 if they didn't Sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:45 pm

paul wrote:To the Prowler yes supporters and members probally think its time for a change but I don't think the people in charge  have that same thinking
Geez we are in massive trouble then!!!!!!!!

If having all 3 grades 8th on the ladder is considered a pass mark then our club will always be mediocre.

It laughable to suggest anything other than the entire season has been a completely disaster!!!!!

Can't wait to see the clubs reasoning when Cross, Liddle and Wundke all leave. I can see it now they are chasing the money, don't wont to play for the guernsey ect ect ect.

Here's a thought players want to play in a premiership before they retire the club should be doing everything in its power to make this happen not continue to let good players go. James Boyd says hello!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:58 pm

To Panther Pack I agree with you 100 percent
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Agreed as well PP .....Sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 pm

The club should use the 50 grand we receive from the crows and put it towards paying out Ron!!!

Then I would get on the phone to the Gowan boys are ask if they have any interest in coaching???
They come from a winning culture
Would instill toughness
Not long out of the modern game
Would automatically command respect from playing group.

Just a thought anyway but I do believe our next coach must be familiar with the modern game!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 am

Yes, the coach has to go!  We also have serious problems within the innersanctum of the club;  All I am seeing is a board that sits on its hands & accepts our current predicament!  
If I see another match review detailing another credible loss.....seriously I'm gonna grab a bucket.
Completely over it for this year.
And if our top tier players walk next year......well....I really don't know what to think.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Something has to be done. At the presentations I didn't really feel that Ron or the players were hurting or disappointed enough considering where we are and what little we have achieved across all grades this season. Evan says there things are happening behind the scenes well they'd need to be.
It was a pitiful crowd on a miserable day to watch a poor exhibition of our beloved game. Perhaps we can't be judged too harshly in those conditions but we won a game against Glenelg in worse and it shows the lack of determination desperation and spirit  .
Rumours are rife and one has Ron mentoring Tony Bamford as senior coach. Losing Cross and Wundke would be bad but continuing to play like we have for most of the year is worse.  
Some very open frank discussion and soul searching is needed from the top down before we become the most successful social club in the south.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Didn't go to Sundays match and to be honest for the first time in many years I could not be bothered! I'm not a fair weather supporter but getting really tired of watching something that resembles an amateur team week in week out!
We've gone backwards at a rate of knots!!!!! N
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Im like you panther magic I allways buy a season ticket I will allways go to home games but couldn't be bothered to go to away games when we play crap other than Glenelg for some reason we have a good record
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:31 pm

panther magic wrote:Didn't go to Sundays match and to be honest for the first time in many years I could not be bothered! I'm not a fair weather supporter but getting really tired of watching something that resembles an amateur team week in week out!
We've gone backwards at a rate of knots!!!!! N
Can not blame you PM if the coach is still there next year more and more supporters will do the same!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:19 am

I have said it before, I have put my cue away for this year, if the club wants support back again next year then serious decisions have to be made.

Rumours are rife and one has Ron mentoring Tony Bamford as senior coach. Give me a break, how could a person who has taken a whole club backwards be mentoring someone to take over, what are we going to get, another 3 years of the same, I think I would put that one to bed

One of my thoughts would be to chase up the Gowan boys and have a serious chat to both of them. They build houses, our house needs rebuilding.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum