Ron Fuller has left SAFC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ron Fuller has left SAFC

Post by darley16 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Let's have your thoughts Panther folk. What concerns me is how much is this going to cost the club both in dollar value and how we are to be perceived both in the media and football world at large. This could also make finding a suitable replacement tough as we are in tough place at the moment.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Re: Ron Fuller has left SAFC

Post by prowler on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:49 pm

What is more important to the club, the $ value by Ron being paid out or the $ value from a successful and competitive club.

Good replacement coaches are not easily found, getting the right person will be even harder.

Rucci will have a big write up in tomorrows rag, prick only concerns himself with the SANFL when muck raking can be thrown around, so i would take no notice of the media on this issue and follow our Boards direction.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Was on the cards Darley, the club could not afford this to go on any longer. It feels like a relief and that's not having a go at the departed coach.
We have a bad track record with coaches over the past years but its vital we get this one correct.
Yes the club will have to pay him out but what if we're to lose half of the team if he stayed? What would happen if we were as poor next season?? We would lose revenue from poor crowds, memberships and maybe sponsorship so this was the only thing to do.
Now the challenge lays infront of the club to get the right coach and supporting coaches/ staff to go with him. I'd love to see Clay Sampson back as an assistant and involved with the club again. The players too have to pull their finger out and show something as they are the blokes on the field who are guilty of being bloody awful for most of this season!!!!
Most of the playing list deserves a shot in 2014 but some?????

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

What a difficult time for our club. It will cost us to pay Ron's contract out but it is the right decision. He seems to have polarised some of the playing group.
Who do we replace him with and will he be another fulltime coach?

Andy Collins wants to stay in SA in a full time capacity and he has learned a lot at Westies, he would be a good choice. Who can we afford tried or untried? Money well spent now is important - we must get the right person strong but fair. We need to put teams on the oval that never give up! I'd like to see Trent Mills Clay Sampson and Stephen Keam return to the club in responsible capacities as they all have something to offer.

Recruiting and depth have been issues but we must win back respect and integrity and to get the best out of our list. We have been considered weak for too long. Skills leadership and mental toughness need developing by the right coaching staff.

In my opinion this is a real crossroad for our club. We must retain the quality and depth in our list and recruit well to cover weaknesses. We then have to really embrace our local areas and continue our junior development encouraging youngsters to want to play for us and support us.
Then it is time for everyone who holds this club dear to their hearts to get rid of any politics or self interest to work hard for and enjoy future success in the changing times.
This can be an opportunity to build a good future.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:08 pm

The writing has been on the wall for a while, and Saturday was obviously the final nail. Game plan hasn’t worked this season, and unfortunately the club isn’t all that better placed than when he took over in 2010. Certainly not saying he’s entirely responsible for this, but it’s just the sad fact. Without some quality U18s coming through the ranks we're in for more long winters to come.

Last edited by saintal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Definitely need a coach from outside the culture of the safc.
Someone who will command and demand immediate respect.
Someone with communication skills, who can can relate to GEN Y.
Someone who has an intimate knowledge of the sanfl.
Someone with a successful coaching record...
Someone who is available and keen to do it.
Someone who has a proven record...
Someone we can afford..

Cue ...Andrew Collins.Very Happy
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:57 pm

As a member of the club I support the boards decision.

Change had to happen and now we must not only find the correct coach to take us forward but also decide which players are worth keeping at the club!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:32 pm

I for one do not agree with this decision, yet its done and dusted now and we have to move on as a group, that I do concede.

The boundary changes were a start to change things, but its a change that will deliver over time as juniors progress and any new coach will still struggle under the same conditions that Ron had if changes to our list and the quality of our feeder sides does not improve.

Who knows who would be a good next coach for us, we just sacked a Premiership coach who when given the cattle won and contested SANFL Premierships.

Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:36 pm

As for Andy Collins, whilst some may look at him with rose coloured glasses, bear in mind that he went to the WAFC with a three year plan and failed to get West into the five in that time. The board had faith in him and recruited the best of the VFL to support him, we can not do the same thing with the current recruiting restrictions. Collins did take West to the Grand Final, I was there and they were absolutley shocking and got belted accordingly. West would run forward with the ball and rugby pass it sideways having no on forward of the ball to kick it to.

I concede that Andy Collins has improved West significantly, yet he also has failed in taking them all the way. Unlike Ron Fuller who did take a side to win the flag.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Not sure of Mark Bickleys committment to the Crows; But I always hoped he'd return home one day....guess the asking price would also be a factor....could we afford him?
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Totally in support of this decision .

It had to happen ... Ron lost the playing group and after 4 years we are still back to square one .. If not worse.

Time for a positive change Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Mark Bickley is out...... He has re signed up with the Crows as an assistant.

My view only, I would not be chasing Andrew Collins, but would be interested in finding out his intentions.

The club has over many years brought in outsiders as coach. Cornes, Cahill, Shelton, Davies, Scott, Pyman, Fuller, I am sure there are others that do not come readily to mind at the moment.

I think the club needs to find an ex AFL player who has not long been out of the game, someone who is up with the game as it now played, someone who has had no association with the club as a player, that rules out Dogga.

Who or what type they go looking for is up to the Board and Football department.

I am sure they will do the best they can for the Club with what is available.

P.S. get rid of Sharpe, he has brought nothing to the club in his time here. It is time it started with a clean sheet.

By that I am not meaning the match day staff who get the boys on the field each week. They do a great job.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:11 am

yer - get rid of Sharp - he might have recruited us a Magarey Medalist and Knucky Cup winner, a dual league leading goal-kicker, and a dual Knucky winner, and most of the rest of the team that many people on this forum through would finish top 3, but besides that; what have the Romans ever done for us?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 am

Prowler, "get rid of Sharp" are you kidding!!That's one bloke i hope we locked away under a long term contract...what have the Romans ever done us...apart from everything?

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:55 am

Is Neil Sharpe of Italian heritage?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by pantherlad on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Agree prowler....get rid of Sharpe.....done a sh1t job and I've heard he's sh1t bloke as well....personality of a frozen pea!
pantherlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

For the handful of good ones there have been alot of duds too !!

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum