Senior Coach 2014

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Senior Coach 2014

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:51 am

Deadline for applications was yesterday.

So who do people think applied or better yet does anyone know the applicants?

My guesses are the following:

Andrew Jarman - Has indicated he would like to coach again at this level
Shaun Rehn - Not given another contract by Port Power, previously coached West
Kym Cobb - Former champion player and assistant this year to Ron
Mark Mickan - Probably a front runner for West job but may have applied at South also, built Glenelg into consistent finals team
Andrew Collins - Doubt he will do his presentation until after West season has finished
Matthew Slade - Ex Centrals champion

I could be way off the mark but if anyone knows of someone else let's hear it!!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: Senior Coach 2014

Post by paul on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:50 am

I dont think Kym Cobb will get the job but its a pitty he didn't say coach us for the last 5 to 7 games just to see how he went, to me there was a lot to like about our last win
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:34 am

I hope that Darren Trevena is an applicant. I believe that since he retired as a player he has successful pursued a career path that would give him good background for the job.
I also would like to see Trent Mills and Kym Cobb involved with responsible roles in the future of our club.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I just don't want to see a previous south player in the job.

We need a fresh start with someone from a winning culture ... South have not had this so I feel we need someone to have new thoughts and opinions to come in a change south .

This is only my opinion but I don't see going back and getting one of our own is going to do any good for  the club to move forward.

My gut feeling is Jarman might jag it !
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Yet again West Adelaide got absolutley smashed in a finals match by Norwood. I just don't think Collins is the coach for our club and think that the AFL system is likely better suited to his heavy flooding style of play.

Shaun Rehn - I have heard that he is an applicant. I have also heard that he likes to call the shots fully, I dont think he is the man for our club simply because I know that our people wont leave him alone and I fear that just like Cahill they will start trying to micro manage him and it will not end well for us over whatever 2 or 3 year plan they go with.

Darren Trevena, I expect that he will be given the job. His strength is his loyalty, he stood by our club and resisted offers to leave as others did when times were tough at South. My concern is that we will simply then burn out another ex SAFC champion player and have to face sacking him also when it all falls to pieces as we have done to so many others.

Mark Mickan - If you guys hated Ron Fuller who had far more success in the SANFL than Mark Mickan, why do you feel that Mickan is a better option? His last days at Glenelg and the way he was abused off the ground by his own fans was a real concern. I think he would be far better suited to the West Adelaide job which is the jumper that he bled for as Trevena did for South.

Andrew Jarman - my personal choice for the job, like I said before, we have burnt various rookie coaches and successful coaches. I feel that Andrew Jarmans sheer personality may be of some help to address the actual issues outside of the match day coaching role that affect our club negatively. I think he would be a much better link between our club and the SFL - GSFL and would likely do more to motivate people to get on board. His focus at North Adelaide was that he set up a football academy for local players in the area. Not a bad idea and something we would do well to look into. We have plenty of money, something like this would be a decent use of it one might think.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:46 pm

My thoughts..
Currently we have 3 teams in the SANFL who have adopted in my opinion, an AFL style game, coincidently they are the 3 teams left in the race for the flag.
Next year those 3 teams, plus the reserves teams from the Crows and Port will be singing from the same Hymn sheet with that style of game., that will make it 5.
A 1970s man on man style game is frankly old hat and banished to history. It doesnt work against a flooding defence which then fast breaks into attack with quick leg speed and sublime skill to quick leading forwards who have plenty of space to work in.
Bottom line for me is...Find a coach who knows this style of the modern game and can impart it successfully upon our playing group.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 pm

blueandwhite wrote:My thoughts..
Currently we have 3 teams in the SANFL who have adopted  in my opinion, an AFL style game, coincidently they are the 3 teams left in the race for the flag.
Next year those 3 teams, plus the reserves teams from the Crows and Port will be singing from the same Hymn sheet with that style of game., that will make it 5.
A 1970s man on man style game is frankly old hat and banished to history. It doesnt work against a flooding defence which then fast breaks into attack with quick leg speed and sublime skill to quick leading forwards who have plenty of space to work in.
Bottom line for me is...Find a coach who knows this style of the modern game and can impart it successfully upon our playing group.
I agree
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 am

Spiritof64 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:My thoughts..
Currently we have 3 teams in the SANFL who have adopted  in my opinion, an AFL style game, coincidently they are the 3 teams left in the race for the flag.
I agree
I have the same type of thoughts, although I HATE the type of football that is being dished up to us now.

My main concern is that we need a skilled skills coach who can fast track the players we have now to accurately kick , grab a mark, feed off hand passes, pick up and control the ball from the ground, and turn them into a competitive force, all these components of the game were missing this year and other years. We can hire the best coach the world has ever seen, BUT if our players do not have the skills needed to compete against the likes of Norwood and North Adelaide we will not improve, lets get the basics right with the players we will be keeping and recruiting, and do you know what will happen, the rest of it will take care of itself. Player fitness has been identified and can be achieved, so has muscle build and strength which all clubs invest heavily in.

Let us get the players skills levels up to a higher standard which is expected of players who don our jumper.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 am

I agree with some very good comments made here, especially with some points Prowler makes.
I am not sure that I enjoy the flooding game either but we have to win matches to be a successful club and it requires hand foot and mental skills which were not developed over the last 3 seasons. Therefore our new coach has to be a knowledgeable leader and communicator who can bond and meld the right mix of modern footballers into a skilled team who play to a plan that they understand and never give up.
We must also learn to use our own oval better which would give us home ground advantage and encourage locals to attend and become members.
It will be interesting to see who they select but the panel seems good to me, and perhaps Trevena or Jarman may be the right sort of person.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

The more I see of Westies during the finals series the more I think Collins maybe isn't the guy for us. Yes he had made West competitive and implemented a defensive mindset but there does not appear to be an attacking plan which all teams need to have. Norwood defend well but can also score when required.

Would have to think Trevena is up to date with the modern game having been at Brisbane for a few years!!!!

Think both him and Jarman will be there when the whips r cracking!!!!!

Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by JCL on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:52 am

West adelaide have had trouble scoring against Norwood, as has every other team. Over the course of the season they scored an extra 460 points than south without having key forwards. If Collins had key forwards at his disposal, I'm sure they'd be more attacking. There's a lot of criticism of the game plan against Norwood but it's been successful against other teams.
JCL

Back to top Go down

Post by Darley on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm

I went and watched the game on the weekend West v Norwood and Collins definitely didn't have the same defensive mindset as he has had previously with Norwood. HE had a six man forward line at the start of the game instead of the 4 he had last yr.
West dont have a key forward unlike Norwood who has Warren and Panos until he got injured.
North have 2 Key forwards in Johnson and Stewart both AFL listed players.
Eagles have Ainger and Salter

Therefore I think Collins has done a very good job at West and I think he would be very good at our club.

Jarman wouldn't be my choice

Darley

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:15 pm

So hearing Jars is not going to get the gig at South.

Would that leave Trevena and Collins as the front runners or is there someone else who I am unaware that might get the job?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Considering there are about 5 or 6 sanfl clubs looking for a coach ... It does not leave many options unfortunately Sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:44 am

Darren Travena was at Knuckey Cup tonight, talking with lots of players, getting to know them etc. does that tell us something?
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 am

That he is a past knuckey cup winner?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 am

Heard 1 SANFL club is chasing Andrew Collins quite hard! Is this club South? Does anyone know if he applied for the job?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Reckon Collo would have started that rumour
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Heard 1 SANFL club is chasing Andrew Collins quite hard! Is this club South? Does anyone know if he applied for the job?
Heard the same .... Reckon the club would be mad not to have a crack at Collo !
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Darley on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Collins would be my choice
Darley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Panther Pack wrote:So hearing Jars is not going to get the gig at South.

Would that leave Trevena and Collins as the front runners or is there someone else who I am unaware that might get the job?
Gary Ayres name has been mentioned also, has taken Port Melbourne into the Premiership at least three times that I am aware of, I know he has one at least one, but I think they were beaten by the Western Bulldogs AFL Reserves team this time around. Port Melbourne have no AFL listed players at all.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Gary ayers would be a good choice as well! A wealth of experience in AFL and VFL.
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Don't reckon we will get Gary Ayers ....
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:50 pm

My opinion only.

I am not bashing the man.

I wouldnt appoint Collins.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Collins has been appointed as Senior Coach to Williamstown so that is out, rumour mill suggests that Gary Ayres is in the mix at a rival SANFL club to South.

My mail seems to suggest that Darren Trevena is likely going to be our next coach!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum