2014 Leadership Group

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2014 Leadership Group

Post by Panthers64 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm

I posted earlier my views about  leadership in the club , but didn't get a bite.
My suggestions for 2014 would be :
Captain : Nick Liddle,
Vice Captains :   Joel Cross and Keegan Brooksby

the leadership group might also include :

Nick Murphy
Brad Crabb
Peter Rolfe
Jake Veide
Brett Eddy
Daniel Bass
Xavier Gotch
Tarak Redigolo
Josh Thewlis

What do others think on this topic?
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 Leadership Group

Post by Andos Mullett on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:38 am

Will be interestin to see how this pans out under the Gotchy.

Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:08 am

Not sure that changing Captains every year is a good idea, should have made Liddle Captain last year, that is in the past so we move on, I always thought Nick was the man for the job, Josh did a fair job on field last year but I dont know how he did off field .
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:36 am

Last 4 years there was no on field leadership and it showed. Thewlis, Murphy & Crabb don't deserve another go after some very poor attitude & displays. If it wasn't for weak depth I would banish those three to the reserves for good. Liddle & Brooksby are the stand outs.
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Harsh but Fair ..Black Panther
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Leadership last season was woeful!!! Maybe it was the circumstances? Whatever the reason it should change. Liddle should be captain! He's the man you'd go into battle with.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:18 pm

I believe our on field leadership has been an issue for the last few seasons and selection of the right people for the job is always difficult. I feel that we have right type of coach and it will make a big difference this year if the leadership group shows maturity on and off the field, and helps others to get the best out of themselves.
Liddle is a standout, Murphy was probably hard done by and deserves another chance. Crabb and Thewlis are good blokes but appeared to find it a hard task.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Can we just have some leaders out on the park with a voice!!!!!

It's so quiet out on the field or at the quarter breaks you could fall asleep!!!!!

Also a bit more mongrel wouldn't go astray so many times I saw Liddle and Cross being man handled and no one would come in and help them out!

Let's get AGGRESSIVE!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Agreed panther pack ... Saw Liddle and Crossy man handled a lot of times last year and their team mates did sweet fa . It was disgraceful !

This must change in 2014 !!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:19 am

Thewlis and Murphy co-captains. Didn't see that coming.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:52 am

Both very good choices and importantly supported by the players, given where we are coming from and with Josh being 30yo the co-captain arrangement makes good sense. Agree with previous posters our leadership group needs to make their presence felt when our on-ballers are getting picked off (legally or illegally) by opposition.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Player support is the key element. I predict Nick will have a stand out year. He is a natural leader and excellent communicator.
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 pm

I believe that this is a good arrangement and I like the thought process behind the choices of Josh and Nick and the leadership group.
Our onfield attitude has to improve from previous seasons and it starts with these guys.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Want to hear alot more VOICE on the park this year!!!

Expectation is we play FINALS.

As a club we need to demand this as a minimum, no more "we are coming from a long way back" or "the club is still developing its zone" these are excuses anything less than finals will be considered a WASTED SEASON!!!!!!!

Let's get em boys!!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:05 am

No on field leadership for last 4 years and these 2 are appointed again? Expect the same result!
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:54 am

You forget one important aspect BlackPanther, new coach.
Brad Gotch understands the importance of leadership in modern footy which is why Leading Teams was introduced to club and from that Josh and Nick came up trumps. Leadership in the last 4 years had the heavy hand of the previous coach which at the time may have necessary, this coach sees leadership in a different light and therefore different outcomes can be expected.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:14 pm

And the previous coach and the one before that? Let's hope the new coach can teach old dogs new tricks. Murphy got sacked by the leadership group not the coach through misdemeanour & poor attitude, and now they go and reappoint him? There are a small group of players in this club when the going gets tough they go missing and blame everyone else. Some just aren't up to it and get games through lack of depth. Until that changes nothing else will change. Everything fell apart when Ben Cavanagh left. Liddle and Brooksby should have been appointed for they show true on field leadership with their actions. The board of this club has much to answer for for past decisions & who are holding them accountable? The last coach was made a scapegoat for underlying problems. This modern game plan excuse is just crap. You can have any game plan in the world at you disposal but if you don't have the players up to league standard or are able to execute such game plan then it doesn't matter what the game plan or who the coach is. I wonder how far into the season before Gotch works this out for himself. I make no apologies for not coating everything with sugar & spice, I call it as I see it. I would like to see nothing more than South Adelaide being strong & successful.
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

South has a different coach coach with a far different style and game plan with an emphasis on skills and personal bests.  Murph learnt some harsh lessons last year and has faced them head on and has come back from them.  I expect his attitude to be a lot different. Josh was frustrated last year. His leadership for a game plan the team had no faith in was non existent. From what I have heard it is a totally different situation this year with completely different motivations. The proof will be on the field but I am expecting big changes in game style and leadership this year.
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Not a fan of the 2 captain deal.....for any team !

Time will tell if this works.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 am

BlackPanther what do you mean it all fell apart after Kavanagh left? Surely you don't mean on field results.

I thought Kavanagh did a great job as CEO but the CEO is not responsible for on field results!!!!

While Kavanagh was CEO the teams results were 4, 8, 8, 9, 9, 4 & 8.

I don't think Fuller was a scapegoat.

After 4 years in charge and being able to recruit the players he wanted the average losing margin was worse than when Sampson was coach.

Now if you believe his game plan was ok then it must have been recruiting that was the issue and Fuller was also in charge of that so to say he was a scapegoat is a strange comment!

Also I applaud the board of South Adelaide for voting No to the AFL clubs entering the league. 6 other clubs boards were too scared to vote no and now we have a rediculous situation were 8 clubs with part time footballers have to compete against 2 AFL clubs with millions of dollars in resources and full time professional athletes.

All it will take is a couple of floggings from these AFL clubs and those clubs that voted yes will regret their decision!!!!!
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackPanther on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:07 am

If Ben was still there i am sure he would have pulled the players together & read them the riot act that Ron is the coach and he will be the coach for another year and if you don't like it then leave. Now this year the club is paying for 2 senior coaches? Instead we had a group of players who sooked, sulked and thought about their own survival. Some of these players are not up it and it showed on and off the field. Not to mention the small influential group behind the scenes who listened to these sooks and went about undermining the coach. At the start of the year the coach publicly backed his players in the media, but did they back him up on the field? They let the coach, club, supporters and themselves down. Two games last year in particular were appalling, West at Richmond & Port at Alberton, and it showed "you can't get pants off a bare *#*#!" I know some of the traits Ron was trying to install in the team was to be strong mentally, never give up and be ruthless on the field. Do you think that happened last year? A good comparison would be if you swapped Norwood players with South players and play each other's game plan, would South have won the premiership? Absolutely no way because Norwood were disciplined, committed, mentally strong, ruthless and commited to game plan, to coach, jumper and the club. South were not! That is the difference and what is required to win premierships.
BlackPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Black Panther. I do understand your point of view and in some ways agree. But I feel you may be a little naive with your opinion of what a CEO of a footy club can actually do. However, the term "RESPECT" is a very important factor in any club's road to a premiership . The dictionary describes it as follows. "Respect: hold in Esteem, regard, high opinion, admiration, reverence, deference, honour" all of those qualities had disappeared by the time South took the field at Richmond, (I was there I saw it) But it came from both sides of the fence. It came from the players and the coach and the club as usual suffered the consequences and had to wear it. The club, meaning you and me and all the other brave, fool hearty followers that were there all wishing at the time, that we could follow another club but just couldn't, because somewhere in our past we became a "Southie" which is impossible to shake. The moment these two sides (the coach and the players) have respect for each other great things happen. But it is an impossible task to repair when it is lost.
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 pm

Ben kavanagh was very good as the CEO but not even he could have stopped last seasons rot! The players simply did not play for the coach! We have been so poor for so long with the odd decent year you cannot simply blame just players or coaches. Poor season after poor season festers and forms a bad culture. We are unfortunately top of the tree when it comes to that! Some poor decisions have been made in the past, so I believe there is a myriad of reasons for our lack of success.
The one aspect which you would hope is a non negotiable for Brad Gotch is for sustained effort! No excuses for the players now as they have run out! No crap efforts like the early season horror against the Eagles at Woodville last season. That sort of rubbish should not be tolerated! It's a new season with a new coach lets put the past behind us and forge a new era for the club! ITS TIME!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Not a fan of co captains. Smacks of being unable to make a decision.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum