Can we do anything this year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can we do anything this year?

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Will we actually do anything this year or will it be another year of disappointment?

Our strengths:

Midfield have added more depth to help Liddle, Cross, Murphy ect

New modern game plan should make us more competitive and harder to score against

Concerns:

Key Position we really need Hourigan and Boyd to step up straight away and hold down 2 key positions. Also need a huge improvement from Eddy and Fields as we don't appear to have much depth for key position players.

Home Record: Is absolutely shocking and has to change for us to ever achieve success, I don't think South have had a season with more loses than wins since coming to Noarlunga. 2006 we had 10 wins 10 losses.

Fun Fact:

Last time we won the flag was 50 years ago and the grand final was played at Adelaide Oval (which will be played at Adelaide Oval this year). We also had a new coach and finished 8th the year before. Sounds familiar  Very Happy 
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: Can we do anything this year?

Post by Panther74 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Lack of a key forward is my concern.

Don't know if young Darcy is up to it yet but let's hope i can be proven wrong !

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Can we do anything this year....?

Well.... a very good question..
This time last year I honestly thought we were about to go places..after all..the coach had stated..
"I now have the list I want..."- OUCH!..
Led up the garden path yet again..only to have our hopes crushed realistically after about round 6. The flogging/capitulation we received at the hands of the Bloods late in the season at Richmond was...well a bloody disgrace; and personally I think was the straw that broke the camels back as far as the coach was concerned. It was clear the players did not respect the Coach, did not put in and quite honestly were showing scant respect to the jumper and the handfull of diehards that venture out every week in the vain hope they may see a flicker of hope, or light at the end of the tunnel.Unfortunately for us too often that light has been from an oncoming train, as the club implodes yet again.

The off season has seen us lose a few..namely Wundke and Hartigan- arguably the best FF and the best CHB in the SANFL last season. Collectively they will leave a hole so large that you could fit 4 lanes of the Southern Expressway through it.
We have a new Coach, thankfully. Gotch comes with an excellent CV, a good reputation, a wealth of AFL experience. The AFL experience will come in handy as he will need to establish a game plan that can compete against Port, the Crows, Norwood, North and West who all play an AFL ugly rolling maul defensive style of game. The defensive side of our game has been appalling in the last few years, particularly in my opinion from our much feted midfield!. Gotch also has a son playing, which could prove to be an interesting dynamic... but  rest assured  he would have discussed it at length with X before taking on the role- this being the case its clear the coach can obviously communicate with Gen Y- something his predecessor couldnt manage.
We've picked up a few recruits, some look okay on paper- as they always do, but the proof will be in the pudding, when the action starts.
The big improvement will in my opinion have to come from our second tier players. They need to drastically improve, not leaving the workload to the usual suspects, find  a way to influence the contest and contribute, not stand back and watch. At least put on a block or a shepherd or clear a path, do the 1percenters. Our skill level needs to improve dramatically too, from what I understand this has been an area in which the new coach has been working particularly hard. Skill level is something you can always improve on- you can never reach a level of proficiency and say..thats it i can do it!- you can always get better. Apparently I am told we are training very hard on our skills and thats great.

I think that to improve we are going to have to have 2 talls up forward fit and firing. We will need a CHB who is a rock like Hartigan was last year for us. We need to find some serious grunt in the middle to protect Lidds and Crossy too. They were smashed at every contest , and off the ball last year, we need someone to.. shall we say -attract the oppositions focus.... Cool Bass and Brooksby need to throw their weight around a bit too. Crabby and Thewlis need to find a home and a role..they were all over the place last year. For me Crabby is best at Full back, maybe CHB?..where he plays his best footy. Thewlis for me could be a good Mid size forward, who can be spotted up and kick a goal from 50.

its going to be an interesting year....its 50 years since our last flag...
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Let's hope we can improve on last years extremely poor season. It seems like ground hog day each preseason as we all pick out the teams obvious flaws and how we can find a way to improve.
Last years side simply had zero faith in the coach so I would assume a repeat of the poor attitude is water under the bridge. It's hard for me to gauge our losses v gains as I don't know enough of the quality of our recruits. As stated by b&w protecting players who are doing the hard yards is paramount! I lost count the amount of times are smaller framed midfielders copped heavy attention without any help! Stand up for your team mates!!!!
With genuine effort and a fitter more cohesive side there should be no doubt we will improve on last year, it's just a matter of finding out where that we will take us.
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:41 am

Midfield depth has looked real good throughout the trial games.

Rose, Gulden, Dale & Mcleod all look like they will rotate through the midfield this year and all look very capable.

Combine these guys to Liddle, Cross, Gotch, Murphy & Caleb Daniel and our depth looks a lot stronger than previous years.

Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:25 am

Yesterdays performance was very good, especially the first half. I think Sturt had a bit more resolve in the second half but I also thought we took the foot of the gas a bit.
I agree our midfield is just stacked with options and I dont think we'll have any problems there at all. Our ability and resolve to cover the ground to comply with the new game style will be our achilles heel I think. I really liked Caleb Daniels game yesterday, he's just gone to another level- I'd be pretty sure this will be his last year at South. Hourigan was again very good, and with either Bass or Brooksby sitting in the forward pocket while resting it really stretches the opposition defence.
There are lots of players who struggled or were lost in the previous regime who have emerged and improved and I think players like Veide, Irra and Mckay will emerge this yearas very solid sanfl players. Especially Darth Veide, he was very,very impressive last week, and I cant wait to see him against AFL opposition this week.I would be fairly sure in my time following South I have never seen a fitter player pull on the blue and white jumper.Hes now a super athlete with endurance, speed which he always had, and the strength to shrug off the strongest tackle and apply a bone crunching one as well; barring injury hes in for a big year.
The things that have impressed me most is the way the playing group has adopted and embraced the new game plan. The fact that they are all on the same page and playing for each other; and it is pretty clear also that they are playing for the coach.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by JoPan on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm an eternal optimist and think this anything could happen this year. Fingers crossed it is good things for us

JoPan

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

Caleb Daniel out for 3 months due to ankle injury. Really unfortunate, given he was close to our best player for the final 1/3 of last season.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Another blow that was not needed.

Opens the door for whoever was knocking.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Unbelievable....another injury!
Wouldn't it be nice if the footy gods could look after us.....just once?
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum