The next 3 weeks....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The next 3 weeks....

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

I hope Im not getting too carried away...but...after Saturdays stirring win, Im certainly feeling more bullish about our prospects for the rest of the year. We have 3 games of the minor Round to play, and whilst our finals spot is still far from secure, our destiny is in our own hands.

This we play the "combine"- the team most Panther fans love to hate for 3 main reasons...Wundke,Ainger and Boyd. They were soundly thrashed on the weekend by the Crows; we lost to them earlier in the year and really would have won if we'd managed to have 18 fit players on the park aafter a plethora of injuries during the game. I like our chances this week. Cool 

Then we play West who were looking a threat ,but somehow managed to lose to  the Bays on the weekend- virtually ending their finals chances..I like our chances in that one too. Cool 

Last game of the Minor round will see us at home against Sturt. They narrowly defeated us earlier, again we were hampered by injury; there form has dropped significantly in the last couple of weeks culminating in a loss to the Dogs an the weekend. Again,Ilike our chances in this one too.. Twisted Evil 

I think if we can win 2 of these last 3 matches we will not only make the 5 but we will more than be making up the number... Cool
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: The next 3 weeks....

Post by panther magic on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I hope you're right B&W! Big game against the Eagles this weekend, win this and the other matches defiantly become winnable and we could bring some good form into the finals?
Yes that word finals!! If we win the remaining three matches we will not only play finals but could get into the top three!!!
My how a week in footy is a long time! I had us cooked last week!!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Would love to be in that top 3 to get a double chance .

I think we can do it .

Danger games out of the 3 are Eagles ( who are very unpredictable in how they play - good when on and poor when having a bad day ) The 3 amigos another big factor for the win too .

Sturt are another side that really take it up to us each time we play them. I think both sides are pretty similar but it's that extra 1% that would get us over the line. Fitness a key factor . Tambling and Coad danger players that need to be shadowed and tagged everywhere they go .

West I believe we can win that one . They have lost a bit of confidence at the moment that we need to capitalise on.

Anyone's race to the finals but I have faith we can be there ..... Huge weeks ahead that will pave our own destiny Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:49 pm

PROUD, SO VERY PROUD. South showed that they are the real deal today. What a great gutsy win. But the umpiring was woeful. I haven't seen such a disgraceful exhibition for a very very long time.
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:52 pm

You beauty  Very Happy 

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm

A great win for the club against "The combine".. I thought we showed some real grit getting over the line today against some good opposition and some of the most lame, inept, incompetent and deplorable umpiring Ive seen in 50 years watching the sanfl.

We were in control at halftime but the weagles managed to claw themselves back into the game particularly in the last quarter but our resolve and desire got us over the line in the end. All played well but, I thought Crabb, Fields and Thewlis were fantastic in the back half along with Rose, Liddle , Veide.and Cross.

Thanks very much to WWT for keeping Ainger in for one last try... probably in the faint hope that he would show some backbone against the club he betrayed... despite the fact he managed 1 goal..he was a great asset for us, kicking the ball directly to former team mates regularly.

Wundke, a former Ken Farmer medalist was soundly thrashed by perennial Panther favourite Brad Crabb, who has stayed with the club through some of its darkest times, (on a modest salary Id assume..) and is now enjoying some modicom of success. Boyd of course was his usual busy self, racking up meaningless possession after meaningless possession, few of them earnt . I do note that his direct opponent for most of the day , Darth Veide, managed to get forward a few times and kick a couple of goals, which in the context of the game was important.

bring on the Bloods , Go Panthers! Evil or Very Mad
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Fantastic win....still 2 games to go...keep the faith & the momentum.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Well that got a bit too close for comfort! Good win as I'd take any win at Woodville oval no matter how it was achieved! We had some good moments and the defence did well to cover the three dangerous forwards. Ainger took quite a few marks but his kicking was hopeless at best!!! Wundke was well beaten by Crabb and Grocke did not dominate like I feared.
Both defences seemed to be on top for most of the game although we really should have been further ahead at half time as we dominated the second quarter!
It's going to be very interesting over the next two weeks as there are some big clashes which will determine were we finish. One game at a time and West won't be a walk up win at all.
I've studied the fixture and we could still finish out of the top five so we just must beat West this weekend.
We are still a chance for top three so with a couple of strong wins and some results to go our way we could get there.
Does anyone know how Daniel Bass played in the seconds??
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Wow what a ripper! Another big team effort and some terrific signs of self belief and trust in each other.
Probably should have kicked 3-4 more goals where kicks were rushed, but considering our injury list has left our defence undersized the effort was magnificent.
The umpiring was hard to believe and unprofessional - 2 umpires with one idea and one with another!
Well done boys - earning some respect now I feel.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Bassy tried hard but a long way to go yet
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 pm

I hope he can get back to some form in the next couple of weeks!
He is very important to us as he takes a fair bit of heat off Brooksby and is pretty handy up forward. Cailotto has been improving each week but if Bass can get another couple of runs under his belt I'd probably prefer him in our side.
To realistically get third we need win our last 2 games and hope sturt lose to the crows, otherwise we will have to smash west and Sturt in our last game to get there!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Do we only need to win against West to get in the 5 ?? And hope other results go our way ?? Or do we need to win our last 2 games to get in ??

Think there are a few scenarios that could happen ....

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 pm

How I see it it's between South, Eagles & Centrals....I think Adelaide & North don't have enough wins & would be relying on those currently above them to have huge losses % would only get them in.

4 SOUTH 16 9 7 0 53.03 18
5 EAGLES 16 9 7 0 49.72 18
6 CENTRAL 16 8 8 0 47.26 16

Last 2 rounds
South: West (Away) Sturt (Home)
Eagles: North (Away) West (Home)
Centrals: Glenelg (Home) North (Away)

Really no matter which way you look at it we will ultimately determine our own destiny....it's simple we just have to keep on winning games; Also having a superior percentage may come into play depending on the results.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Based on PP's summary:

2 wins and we're obviously fine, and an outside chance of top 3.
1 win should ensure we finish above CD, and hence in the 5. (cant see them bridging the % gap)
0 wins, and there is a good chance we're in trouble, as I can see CD winning both games, and WWT at least one.

Last edited by saintal on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 pm

(continued) I think Adelaide & North would be a rank outsiders & would be relying to make the finals on 9 wins & their current % would need to drastically improve:

7 ADELAIDE 16 7 9 0 49.19 14
8 NORTH 16 7 9 0 48.46 14

Last 2 rounds
Adelaide: Sturt (Away) Norwood (Away)
North: Eagles (Home) Centrals (Home)
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive summery guys. .

I think overall it is Central we need to worry about ... They seem to be up and about ATM .

Gaining 2 wins would definitely be the ultimate outcome Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:30 am

We won't miss. Let's smash the Bloods!
Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 am

Andos Mullett wrote:We won't miss. Let's smash the Bloods!

Agreed!

We just need to continue to do what we've done for the last 2 games, & hopefully that complete 4 quarter performance is not too far away.

Any lapse in our mental application & history tells us we are vulnerable.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:31 am

This week is THE game! Win this and we are on our way, lose it and disaster awaits as Centrals are ready to pounce. Personally i have been unable to get to recent games but come hell or high water i will get to Richmond Oval on Sunday, our boys need all of us there for maximum support. Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad 
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Bring it on!
Believe its been 7 years since our last win at Richmond......we're overdue!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Surely we have the personnel to beat west?
Looking at the crows squad set to play sturt, it's going to be a tough one for the double blues!!! If they are good enough to beat the crows reserves on Saturday then they probably deserve to finish in the top three.
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Final:
South 10.13 (73)
West 8.2 (50)

Ground out a win to secure finals birth.
Always seemed to have control, however never really exerted our dominance on the score board.

Well Done to Gotchy & the boys; Its encouraging to see we can win ugly; And warning to the competition we can still improve.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Ground out a win- for sure, but it was a win! and thats all that matters, we're playing finals! it wasnt pretty but we got the 2 points
Rewind to exactly this time last year...in the second to last game of the year we played West at Richmond. We were soundly flogged by West by about  16 goals if I remember correctly, in what was Ron Fullers' last game at the helm. Its fair to say we've come a long way in 12 months. The best thing is... there is still a lot to play for in the next few weeks... A good win against Sturt in our last home game for the year next week could see us sneak a top 3 finish if other results go our way.
I think Brad Gotch has done an amazing job this year..so many of the playing group who looked lost and disillusioned under the previous regime have shown new belief and composure. That coupled with a few handy recruits and we have seen a drastic transformation from the depths of last year.
The playing group are as united as they have ever been and are indeed playing for each other and the jumper.
Lets all get behind the boys in the next week against Sturt and the weeks  Rolling Eyes following...I have a feeling we wont be just making up the number.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Scrappy encounter, which saw both teams employee 16-17 man flooding tactics. Very ugly footy to watch at times. We made a few less errors than the hosts, and should have won by more given the scoring shots. Pleasing to sew up a finals spot though.

K.Brooksby, J.Cross, B.Crabb, F.Dale, J.Thewlis & X.Gotch named best by the club.

Concerning to see the u18s result, 6.9 v 33.12. That's a 155 pt loss.  Embarassed Hopefully the boundary realignments has a positive impact sooner rather than later.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 am

Great, wonderful, fantastic, exciting to be playing in the finals, great reward for the players. Horrible game to watch but i'll take a South win even as ugly a win as that was. Interesting post B&W, when you look back to this time last year all appeared lost, so called poor historic "club culture" can be a temporary illusion once the right people are in right places for right reasons as we have now.

Impressed with our players end of game respect for retiring West player Shane Birss, well done.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum