The next 3 weeks....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The next 3 weeks....

Post by Premier Panther on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Relieved to get over the line in a tough contest & confirm our participation in the major round; Good to see we finally dealt with the favourites tag & lived up to expectations.

By no means taking the gloss off the win, & the hard work by all concerned, however some interesting post game comments from Gotchy on the TV, feeling the team went into their shell in the last quarter; He felt the team is at it's best when taking the game on & Westies lifting their pressure & intensity was a factor; There seemed to be concern over a mindset of saving the game over the last few weeks, as opposed to winning the game......very astute assessment....& a coach that looks for continual improvement.... and a fair call approaching the finals.....he continues to impress.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Oh what a scrap it was! Great to get the win and confirm finals action though!
In reality we will need some improvement this weekend and beyond if we expect to make any impact in the finals, but I reckon we've got plenty of scope and ability to improve.
To claim third we'd have to smash Sturt by 80 points(highly unlikely) or hope the crows can beat Norwood at the parade whilst we'd have to obviously beat sturt.
Let's hope the crows get Norwood!!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:38 pm

According to SANFL race to finals link we need to beat Sturt by 8 goals or more; A big challenge but not beyond us.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Is it .... If we beat Sturt and Adelaide beat Norwood ...we get in top 3 ???

I'm still a bit confused .....
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Check out this link it may explain it a bit clearer:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2631/
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Premier Panther wrote:Check out this link it may explain it a bit clearer:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2631/

Yes...
the way I read it is..

Definitely has to happen...we have to beat Sturt.

and...

Adelaide must beat Norwood..or..our winning margin against Sturt must exceed 8 goals.

Bottom line is we must beat Sturt. Cool 
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks guys !

Definately must beat Sturt and i truly believe we can .

Nick Liddles 100 game and personally cant not speak highly enough of this guy .... A true loyal player for us that stuck through the dark days when others left when things got too hard or for $$$$$s

We deserve to win for him too ... Absolute legend of a clubman for us .

Well done Lids ! Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 pm

I take back the 80 point margin I stated for us to beat Sturt by to get third! 8'goals sounds more achievable but I'd be really just happy to win!
Should be a cracker game with a few other games having a bearing on the make up of the finals!
Let's hope with some good football on our behalf, and some luck the cards might fall our way.
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Panther74 wrote:Thanks guys !

Definately must beat Sturt and i truly believe we can .

Nick Liddles 100 game and personally cant not speak highly enough of this guy .... A true loyal player for us that stuck through the dark days when others left when things got too hard or for $$$$$s

We deserve to win for him too ... Absolute legend of a clubman for us .

Well done Lids ! Smile

Agree wholeheartedly re    Nick Liddle... Character, courage, loyalty, sublime skill...what more can you say..??
3 Knuckey cups in 100 games is a pretty fair effort in my opinion...
Just hope the lads can get around him and get a win over the Blues on Saturday...
if anyone deserves success its this guy. Twisted Evil

going out on a limb here...but...
is Lidds the best player to wear the navy blue and white since Mark Naley.? Rolling Eyes 
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by JoPan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 pm

agree with the above

JoPan

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Hear hear! It would be great to win this week then we can go into the finals having beaten other team. We were close last time with Rolfe injured early.
However the last 3 games have a common denominator - self belief & desperate attiude. The same attitude that Nick Liddle brings every week . Heart as big as a horse and the courage of a lion!
I hope we can win for him and the double chance.
Bring it on.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Lids is a legend - does not get distracted by politics or personalities, like some have in the past - just plays footy - and plays it bloody well.

I'm struggling to think of a better player than has played over 100 games since Naley?
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Go the Crow's!
Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Andos Mullett wrote:Go the Crow's!

First time I have ever wanted that result in my life !!!

Surely Benny Warren will be kind to us ???  Wink 
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Final League Score:
SOUTH: 14.3-87 DEFEATED
STURT: 9.9-63

Best Players: J.Thewlis, B.Macleod, T.Fields, A.Gulden, B.Crabb & J.Cross.

Goals: P.Rolfe 2, B.Macleod 2, J.Cross 2, A.Gulden 2, J.Veide 2, B.Seccull 1, C.Daniel 1 & K.Brooksby 1.

Unable to watch the game, but enjoyed the 2nd half on rph. Doesn't sound like I missed much in the 1st half. Pleasing to win without a big contribution from Eddy, and for Liddle in his 100th.

Looking back on the regular season, the loss at home to the Doggies is the one that probably stings the most, and perhaps was the difference between making or missing the top 3. That and being the only team not to beat the AFC "state league" team at least once Rolling Eyes Even still, 11-7 would be our best regular season since 1992, and there is some genuine confidence going into next week. Can't wait..

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Very excited what I witnessed after half time. Hard at it, furious pressure and never say die attitude...it was very impressive and wonderful to see. After half time a new South came out to take the game by the horns and attack, attack and attack....Sturt crapped their pants !!! Sturt were forced to do some undisciplined errors and did some very silly things....I refer to the hit on Gulden after the siren at half time.

Very nice win that will bring some confidence and belief into the finals. Now our focus is on the Eagles this week. We can do this.

Amazing to see some many supporters after the game give a massive cheer as the boys left the ground.....we have been waiting for this moment too long and now its here....we need to take the opportunity and make the most of it and give 110% percent. Get out next week to support the boys as now #therearenolimits

Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Great to be playing finals again!! Missed today's match but can't wait to see us @adelaide oval next weekend under lights! We will have to be at our best otherwise it will be a short lived finals champaign. Let's hope all south supporters come out in force to support the boys against the Eagles.
C'mon boys fire up and let's give the Eagles a game and smash them!!!!!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Credit to the boys!
Entering the finals with some real form behind us.
Congratulations to Lids a loyal clubman & I consider one of our club greats.
Disappointed Eddy missed the Ken Farmer (and of course salt into the wound with Wundke winning it).....time for redemption!
It does give me confidence, however Eddy goalless & we still find avenues to score & win.
South Supporters get out to Adelaide in force, a big crowd & support for the boys, no doubt will help them.
Let's smash that composite team!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Magnificent effort - scrappy first half followed by an excellent display of attacking footy in the 3rd term. There is a real respect & belief in each other and determination to succeed. A good win from many points of view: desperate defence, spread of goal kickers, great form to enter the finals and for Nick Liddle' 100th as mentioned above.
Perhaps a bit unlucky to miss the double chance on percentage but the Eagles will be wary.
We're starting to make solid progress as a club. Injuries would have held us back in the past.
Lets get there in strong voice and get a good win with Brett Eddy kicking a bag of goals.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum