Preliminary Final 2014 South v Port Adelaide AFL Reserves

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Preliminary Final 2014 South v Port Adelaide AFL Reserves

Post by saintal on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:19 pm

panther magic wrote:Far too many fumbles  throughout the game, thought Cross, Eddy, Brooksby and Caleb Daniel gave everything.
Gutted yes, but not surprised unfortunately! Do I put the loss down to us being out of our depth against mainly professional players, or we just butchered our opportunities through poor decision making? Maybe a bit of both!
We gave ourself every chance by leading at half time only to become bystanders in the third quarter! Yes there's always next year, but adios Brooksby and Eddy, possibly Caleb Daniel aswell!

Proud of the teams efforts this year and I hope we can retain the bulk of our list. Bigger and better next season!

A good summary.

We earned some much needed respect this year, both off and on the field.

And yes, the nature of the SANFL means that a playing list can look significantly different in 12-24 months time due to numerous factors. Have to take opportunities when they present.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Words escape me.
I am extremely proud of what we've achieved this season, yet bitterly disappointing to get so close.
Felt in the 3rd when we lost our way, we burnt the ball entering into our 50, & their defense just mopped up every time.
Credit , the boys didn't throw in the towel.
This one's gunna take a while to get over.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Absolutely gutted...
As Ive mentioned in a few earlier posts...we've come a long way in 12 months....and we have, there is no doubting that. However ,as pleasing as that may be I am tonight absolutely inconsolable.

To struggle like our club has for decades..-50 years since our last flag, 24 years since our last Prelim final and 35 years since our last Grandfinal...and only spasmodic finals appearances in between.. to get this close and fall at the last hurdle...well it hurts..
In 64 I was 6 years old, my father didnt take me, said.."there will be other years"..in 79 I sat there in the driving rain with a young girl on one of our first dates, (she later became my wife) and like others was thankful  for the rain because it hid my tears.. in 91 I sat here crushed as we capitulated in straight sets after taking out the minor premiership...
This year my hopes soared as we had such a great start to the year, a mid season slump and the scrambled into the finals on the back of some good wins. Two finals wins to make the prelim final were exhilarating, and we all became optimistic- and rightly so too. The footy was at times breathtaking from our boys and they never showed a lack of fighting spirit and intensity. Sadly today we came unstuck......

What we must not do now is be satisfied with 3rd place. We cannot allow the disasters of the past to occur,where finals appearances were closely followed by the team disintegrating before our eyes. ..usually closely followed by the coach. We need pick our selves up, dust ourselves off and charge into next season . Sure we may lose a few, in the off season but lets fill those deficiencies, keep the nucleus of the playing group and charge into 2015 with a real hunger and desire based on todays disappointment.  Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 pm

If ever a mob gives me the ***** it is the SPAM.

Had to get all their AFL professionals squeezed in together to defeat a true SANFL Club, a traditional club in the true sense of the word dating back to the late 1800's. A club that has had to endure more hardships than every other club since the inception of Glenelg back in 1925, but has always fought its way back into the competition.

This heap of **** that another proud SANFL club will have to compete against next week in our Grand Final will further disgrace what the SANFL has strived to build over the past one and a quarter centuries.

The SANFL Commission sold out the other 8 clubs, I hope those members are rightly proud of the demise of a truly great football competition.

We will fight back next year, this will make the players hungrier and determined in 2015 let it roll on.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:52 am

It's not over. We will win . We have witnessed  the start of something really big. We have a long way to go and I believe we are now ready to keep going. This club has changed . I've seen it become more focused more determined and proud. We lost today and it is very hard to take, but it's not the end. It's just time to regroup,  reload and have another crack at it.  Like Gotchy said to the players after the game. "What are we here for?" They said "to win Premierships". We can't lose that momentum. Take some time off by all means, but reload and get set to continue what we have started this year. I am going to remember today,  not as the end , but as part of the journey. Because we will win. I can feel it.
Winston Churchill said    
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”  2015?  Bring it on.
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:58 am

Well said bluecat, post of the year on this site! Central District FC suffered finals losses to this mob before....hey presto a decade of success. We are also at that same point, this playing group must stay together for not just next year but for the next 2-3 seasons. The club has gotten so much great positive exposure throughout the last month, so many Southies at our games loud and proud, there is momentum.
THIS IS NOT OVER IT IS THE BEGINNING!!!!Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by bachy2 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 am

yeah!!!!!
bachy2

Back to top Go down

Post by leslieN on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm

As a "former" diehard Rooster member (left post 2013 due to my club selling us out) - well done South for a great year and so close to a much deserved GF. Hopefully, as many of you have stated, 2014 is the foundation for bigger and better for the SAFC.
leslieN

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 pm

leslieN wrote:As a "former" diehard Rooster member (left post 2013 due to my club selling us out) - well done South for a great year and so close to a much deserved GF.  Hopefully, as many of you have stated, 2014 is the foundation for bigger and better for the SAFC.  

Cheers leslieN.......and welcome Smile

We will be back. Get on board for the ride Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:02 am

I won't dwell on the game for too much longer but our Achilles heel has been a very poor quarter in quite a few games this season. Unfortunately it reared it's ugly head on Sunday but that's something for the coaching staff and players to work on over the summer!
Maybe we need a bit more mongrel around the ground and for a change the injury gods smile upon us during the season!
There's a lot of positives to come out of this season, we can only get better, but next season won't be any easier as every team will be doing there best to improve.

Can't wait until season 2015 already! We've had a good taste of it, let it burn in our guts and learn from it!!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 pm

So near but so far! So many mixed emotions. Last year and half way through this season we were a million miles away from success & respect but at half time on Sunday we were almost into the big game that we all long for.

Some good points have been made here and without forgetting the last 6 games and the way our boys played it was still disappointing to see our great midfield overrun in that terrible 3rd quarter. No doubt SANFL has changed and we were beaten by full time professionals, but we missed an opportunity. Gotchy said that to the players and the pain showed on their faces at the presentations.

HOWEVER that pain can drive everyone forward next year and beyond to achieve some real success, the signs are there.
Gotchy calls it "The new SOUTH"!
GET ON BOARD
B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:05 pm

As someone who regularly attends matches both home and away it was amazing how many new faces I saw supporting the Panthers during the final series. Hopefully this can translate to increased crowds at Hickinbotham Oval next year.
Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Andos Mullett wrote:As someone who regularly attends matches both home and away it was amazing how many new faces I saw supporting the Panthers during the final series. Hopefully this can translate to increased crowds at Hickinbotham Oval next year.

Absolutely ! We get crap for our poor supporter base but they a definitely out there !!!!

Get them on board !!! Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:11 pm

I spoke to our coach today I allways thought the turning point in the game was when VEIDE got injured late in the 2 quarter he agreed with me only players we will lose for next year will be to the afl draft
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Lets hope we dont lose any, thats being unkind for those that aspire to greater things, but we need all of them.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by bbq on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Being a North supporter I feel for you all but shit you gave the comp a BIG shake this year it's what we all needed, with that Jim's Football Club Franchise being stacked with professional players  what real chance did anyone have.
Now we just have to watch Norwood take a dive and probably been paid for it Twisted Evil !
R.I.P, S.A.N.F.L.
bbq

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Our coached named 5 with a chance Eddy Daniel Brooksby Fields Veide of getting drafted he allso added it would be good for the club if we get a couple drafted as it would encourage more young kids to play for our club
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 pm

This coach sure knows his business.

If we lose a couple of key players that means some will have to step up and recruiting will have to be spot on.

P.S. are there any more young McLeod's out there just waiting their turn?
prowler

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum