WHO WOULD YOU TARGET AS NEW RECRUITS FOR 2011?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WHO WOULD YOU TARGET AS NEW RECRUITS FOR 2011?

Post by panther magic on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:14 pm

I was at the SANFL finals last weekend and saw our football manager and coach on their mobile phones after the Glenelg v Eagles match,so I am guessing they were there to look at some potential targets to bring to our club?
there were definately a few players playing in both games which I personally would love to get to the club.
Ty allen is a gun player who is in and under and would make a massive difference to our midfield,we probably have next to no chance but I would definately have a red hot go at getting him to the club.

To be honest there were quite a few players from the four teams that played on the weekend that would be great in a south guernsey,but I guess we are more likely to be looking at fringe players who are not getting a good shot at league level.Never the less I hope we would have a crack at anyone who fits the criteria,eg ruckman,key defender,forward and hard nut midfielder.
Fingers crossed we find what we are looking for!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Re: WHO WOULD YOU TARGET AS NEW RECRUITS FOR 2011?

Post by Ben W on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 am

It gets pretty disheartening constantly seeing SAFC players leaving to go to other SANFL clubs, yet its probably important to realise that its not just the SAFC that loses players to other sides, its just that we as a club seem to have a pretty fair chip on our shoulder about it from the days of when sneezer went across to the Bays. Andrew Jarman went from North to Norwood and then was returned to North as Senior Coach, there are various other examples, I do think that its an area that we as a club have probably not done enough in terms of recruiting from over the years.

My first targets would not be fringe players so much as players that regularly get a game in the side. Our issue at South is that some of the players on our league list would struggle to get a game at another side and to make improvement we have to be sure that any player would be picked for another side in terms of skill level, picking more of the same or marginally better players is not really any more help than recruiting out of our zones or players from Henley in the SAAFL or whatever.

Of course there is always an opportunity to identify players that could make the grade if they could get a game at league level from the reserves competiton, yet I do think that the number of players in that category are a lot less than what people may think is the case. Careful targeted recruiting in this area could potentially work well if we get the right players, although again I would much prefer to see players chosen from the league lists of opposing sides than the reserves lists.

As for specific players, Clint Alleway from North is rumoured to be unhappy and since North had no problem in recruiting Archard from South I would suggest that any player on their list would be fair game, especially if rumours are true that the playing group at North was united in their support of Daniel Healy and believe that the same board members that got rid of Jars have again done more of the same and that they are over it as a result. Captain Damon White is returning to the WAFL and rumours abound that several on the list are unhappy at the club.

Glenelg will clearly turn over several players, yet for good reason and I think we need to be fairly cautious, if a player cant play under finals pressure in one side, its fairly likely they wont do well at another. Bakewell might be a good chance to return to the SANFL after being sacked from the Bays at the start of the season and could be one name to look into!

The WAFL gave the SANFL more than just a bloody nose in the state game, personally I would be having a very close look at some of those players, if they can win at the State Level, it follows that they could also play pretty well in the SANFL given the right opportunity.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danny del re on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 am

Scooter McGlone has left Sturt.
danny del re

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:17 pm

danny del re wrote:Scooter McGlone has left Sturt.

Oh..... how my heart bleeds!!! 3rd time lucky for him??

Personally, I would look at the WAFL.

Love to see Powell from Eagles come over. I also hear Nathan Eagleton has a childcare business in Woodcroft......Im sure if the price was right he might come over to us. Great to have his experience on and off the field.

Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Cmon you can't be serious about eagleton. He's 32. Look at the form line on old afl players and how long they last. Torn is best at two years. White missed a fair amount of the two he played. The following have lasted one - thurstans mcgregor perrie. Sure there others.
Ron appears to have a plan and sure finished afl players looking to top up their super ain't part of it.
We need a couple of key talls and mids. Ones that are going to make an impact.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Handball Happy wrote:Cmon you can't be serious about eagleton. He's 32. Look at the form line on old afl players and how long they last. Torn is best at two years. White missed a fair amount of the two he played. The following have lasted one - thurstans mcgregor perrie. Sure there others.
Ron appears to have a plan and sure finished afl players looking to top up their super ain't part of it.
We need a couple of key talls and mids. Ones that are going to make an impact.

Just thought he would be good for a mentoring role.......we ain't got any one at the club with the experience Eagleton has. Would be great with the kids coming through. Just my thoughts anyway. Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:25 pm

We need a couple of players that are old enough to shave, 190-200 cm tall, run the 100 mtrs in Olympic qualifying time and can benchpress their own weight +20%.

Shouldn't be a problem.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Well Spirit, we have got 1 of the 4 requests, thats 25%, not a bad start.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Chris and James Gowans proved to be pretty good value for the CDFC, not good enough to be drafted at the AFL level, yet good enough to dominate at SANFL level, and recruited as mature aged recruits. If we can find some recruits in that mould we will be doing pretty well!

The WAFL state team beat the SANFL at Leederville, that suggests to me that there are 18 potential recruits, a number would be mature aged, well developed and seasoned players, that clearly can play at the standard required in the SANFL, if those lads can match it with the best players in the SANFL then it follows that they would likely play pretty well for the SAFC if recruited. Moving costs dont come under the Salary Cap, we get letters each year with glowing reports about how much money the club has made and how bright it all is, well here is a good opportunity to put some of it to good use!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Where the heck to we find a couple of Muddy Troy and Dean Talbot types from, that's what the recruiting people should be looking at, we got a good one this year in Nick, but please, no more 5' 7 1/2" types, they are everywhere.

If we can get those caliber players, it would push a few promising players to the reserves to fight their way into a league spot, it would also bolster the reserves into a competitive unit, and push for a spot in the top 4. Only making the top 5 is nothing to get excited about, as that is only a quick exit out of the finals.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 pm

The problem for the CLub is that finding quality recruits isn't going to get any easier with two new AFL teams.

You would think anyone half decent will be on an AFL list.

The suggestion of this topic is who you target as new recruits?

All we have so far is Alleway and Eagleton. Who else from other SANFL clubs that would be keen to leave to join the bottom club?

Meikeljohn and Cloke would be handy. Luke Powell was very good yesterday.

I think the WAFL sounds like a fertile recruiting ground but how many recruited WA players are currently in the comp? Parry, I can't name any more (and didn't he have a good finals series, can't remember the last time he played anything like that for the Panthers. He was marking everything).

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:57 pm

One rumour doing the rounds is that Craig Evans from Sturt may be a possible target of rival SANFL clubs. Considering that Sturt had no problems in getting McGlone away from South, it could well be that the wheel turns, or alternativley that they have to make a decent increase in his salary to keep him there.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by souffovdaborda on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Big blokes! If we an get some tall players near the quality of the midfielders we got for 2010 we'll be doing well. Got the smalls, now we need some talls.
souffovdaborda

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

souffovdaborda wrote:Big blokes! If we an get some tall players near the quality of the midfielders we got for 2010 we'll be doing well. Got the smalls, now we need some talls.

Cameron Cloke????

Show him the money i say!!!!! Very Happy

Would fit in well with Cocky in the rucks and can be used either end of the ground.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:44 pm

If we dont get in early, we may not have enough money, be terrible to be on the end of the que,

Which que, "The farque"
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 am

Need some talls (CHF/CHB), a decent crumbing forward, and some midfielders with some bulk (Thewlis type of build ideally).

While I'm being greedy, an 80 goal FF would also be handy. :p

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Porter on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Definitely a couple of talls ( Back/Forward ) and maybe another midfielder who can play half forward/back.
Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 am

We have plenty of smalls,albeit young ones.
If we need another midfielder they have to be an in and under,like aTy Allen.
Tarak Redigolo is in that mould but he is not at the required level yet.
We need talls badly! At least two,one for the ruck so Cocky can go down forward and one in defence.
If we could jag a tall that has similar playing attributes to Craig Parry we would be on the right road.Angus Kurtze from sturt has been stuck playing ressies in season 2010 and I reckon he is a pretty good ruckman!He had a great season in 2009 and is probably around the 24 year old mark. Ronnie and the football department could do alot worse than getting him into a panther guernsey!
We have some young blokes that are showing promise,and "IF"we are able to get the couple of quality talls and hard as nails midfielder we will be sure to improve on our dissapointing past few seasons!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:34 pm

See Hawthorn have delisted a couple of ruckman, Simon Taylor and Wayde Skipper; Could be worth a crack if they don't get back into the AFL system:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104274/default.aspx
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Well worth a try, probably have to fend off every other club in Australia to get them
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Darley on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:34 am

At leat the club has plenty of room in their salary cap to attract some quality players. My understanding is that we have targeted 6 players that we are after. With room in our cap it means we can offer more than other clubs. Mind you we need to be careful that we pick the right players & they come here to play for the club not just for the money
Darley

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm

I am sure the club are well aware of the potential benefits and pitfalls that come with recruits.
Of our recruits that came for season 2009 only two remain Cockshell and Lyons.Kennedy-Hunt,shmidt and Mckenna have gone.
I must admit of those players only Cocky was a known good player at a high level so sometimes you are taking a punt to a degree!
Thats no disrespect to the other fellas as I still think Shmidt and Mckenna could have been good for us.
Seasons 2010 recruits are fairing much better,and to be honest we would have been in big trouble if we did not have their services in 2010.
Lets hope we jag a few of these blokes we are after!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Notice that Jay Cheep is leaving the Eagles to return to Vic, Ron Fuller was keen to get him to the Eagles and coached him in his first season at the club where he played some very good footy, hence I do wonder if maybe he is on the radar of the club? I am not so sure of the rule regarding imports, yet he may well have done enough time in the SANFL to be considered a local player, could be a handy addition to the club if its felt that our staff can get the best out of the lad.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum