South V Sturt@ Hickinbotham

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South V Sturt@ Hickinbotham

Post by panther magic on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Big game coming up this weekend when we take on Sturt @ Noarlunga.
We will have to improve big time and that's not just because we were thumped by Port. The basics were executed so poorly last Friday night we would have struggled against anyone.
Some blokes will deserve to be dropped and others promoted on what I witnessed.
Look forward to seeing a big improvement in intensity and hard running.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Re: South V Sturt@ Hickinbotham

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Sure is a big game this week...
our performance v The Power Reserves was poor. Yes I know the argument against them playing in the SANFL etc, but the reality is they are in the competition and we have to deal with it.Friday night we had a team that clearly didnt come to play, thats probably the first time anyone could say that under Gotchies tenure.There were perhaps a half a dozen players who in my opinion didnt have a crack and they should be and probably are  on notice. It was bitterly disappointing to supporters who were looking forward to 2016 after the great strides taken last year.
The competition will be much more even this year with the likes of North, West and Glenelg showing some improvement. For us to sit on our laurels and just hope things fall into our laps will be an excersize doomed to fail.
We have a chance to get back on the horse this week against Sturt on our own deck; but unlike last week we will need to prepare well and come to play.
I have a theory that Sturt dont play well on the bigger ovals, they have a few guys who cant run out of sight in a fog, and we need to run and chase and apply a lot of pressure to them for 100 minutes.
Lets hope the playing group come with a far better midset than last week.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am

This game will test the validity of employing the Leading Teams ideology. If South is a stronger team we will perform well, if however there lingers a fragility of mindset that has haunted South teams of the past this game will go down a path of which we all too familiar.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 am

Last week against Port was embarrassing and to be honest I'm surprised Gotch has wielded the axe a bit more.

Blokes like Overall, Giddings, Rankine, Seccull & Murphy need to step it up after quiet games last week
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:51 am

Yes this is an important game, our courage, discipline and depth of talent is being tested. We need to meet the challenge with a strong display of determination self belief and teamwork.
Already it appears that there will be no easy games this year but our boys will have had a good break and I am expecting them to come back with a determination to make up for last Friday.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Last week against Port was embarrassing and to be honest I'm surprised Gotch has wielded the axe a bit more.

Blokes like Overall, Giddings, Rankine, Seccull & Murphy need to step it up after quiet games last week

I will add Irra to that list too.  Needs to do more .
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:36 pm

South 13.8 86
Sturt 9.9 63

South Goal Kickers: B. Eddy 2, B. Seccull 2, B. Macleod 2, P. Rolfe 2, J. Cross 2, X. Gotch , S. Overall , D. Bass
Best Players: , J. Cross , M. Rose , N. Daniel , X. Gotch , B. Seccull , B. Crabb

Sturt Goal Kickers: A. Bruggemann 4, G. Page , C. Calabrese , B. Hansen , S. Smith , J. Greenslade
Best Players: , Z. Kirkwood , K. Beard , F. Evans , A. Bruggemann , J. Allen , J. Battersby

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Important win, given last week's performance and the fact that South and Sturt will be eyeing top 3 spots. Game was played with a 3-4 goal breeze favouring the Northern end. Fairly even contest all day, with South kicking 6 goals in the final 10-12 minutes of the 3rd term with the wind to break the match open, a few of which were pretty soft/easy. Sturt challenged again though, booting 4 in the opening 10 minutes of the last before South managed to shut the game down.

Hard to argue with the better players named by the club. Cross was everywhere, 10 clearances and kicked a couple of great goals. Rose shut out Hanson while getting plenty of it himself, while a few guys who had been quiet in the opening rounds had better days out (Irra, Overall, Murphy, Macleod..). Still a bit sloppy at times though, mucking around at half back and turning the ball over, resulting in Sturt goals. Got slaughtered in ruck but won the clearances well. Had a few decision go our way infront of goal that helped.

After last week, enjoyed watching a match contested between two sides with the same objectives and preparation, and with two supporter groups who were vocal and passionate in support. Crowd was about 2100.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:05 am

Agree Saintal! Tough hard fair SANFL footy! Interested to hear Cornes views at lunch re inappropriateness of AFL reserve teams playing in our competition. His comments were very encouraging.
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum