20 years at Noarlunga.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

20 years at Noarlunga.

Post by Ben W on Wed May 20, 2015 9:05 am

Interesting article on our 20 years at Noarlunga in Indaily today. I was at that match and remember it well, I think it went a long way towards setting up the current rivalry we have with Glenelg when we lost that match!

20 years fly by at Noarlunga

It seems hard to believe but it’s been 20 years since South Adelaide started playing their SANFL home games at Noarlunga Oval.

On Sunday, 7 May 1995, the Panthers played their first home game at the venue, against Glenelg.

About 10,000 fans turned up to see the two southern sububs rivals compete for the Carey-Darley Cup, with spectators reportedly queuing for up to an hour to get into the ground.

The Bays recorded a handsome 41-point victory – Glenelg 16.15 (105) to the Panthers 8.16 (64).

The respective coaches at the time were former Carlton premiership player Ken Sheldon for hosts and dual premiership wingman Tony Symonds for the Tigers.

Club champion and four times best and fairest Nick Chigwidden was Glenelg’s captain, while the Panthers’ on-field leader was Tasmanian hall of famer Darren Trevena.

On Sunday 14 June, the Panther will celebrate 20 years at what is now Hickinbotham Oval with a chairman’s function preceding the match – again against the Tigers.

http://indaily.com.au/sport/2015/05/20/grassroots-local-footy-round-up/
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: 20 years at Noarlunga.

Post by darley16 on Wed May 20, 2015 9:46 am

Yeah me too Ben, so excited to finally have a home ground then came the result and i was gutted. You're right in saying that result was the trigger for the rivalry we have had since. For the next 10 years our home ground went nowhere until the great day the club negotiated our 99 year peppercorn lease with the state government and since then Hicky Oval feels like home. Sure we have a $3.0ml debt ($2.0ml to be cleared by SANFL distribution over the next 7 years) but that money was well spent in further ground development where today we have facility that is something we should be proud of and hopefully in years to come further improvements can continue to be made (without the corresponding debt).

darley16

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum