Final SA 14-7 Adel 13-12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Final SA 14-7 Adel 13-12

Post by Premier Panther on Sun May 01, 2016 5:53 pm

What a win!

Couldn't make it due to sickness, but followed every kick online.
What a come back!

BLUE & WHITE BELIEF! FIGHT ON FOR EVER! PANTHER PROUD!
I could go on & on....radio described it as one of the best SANFL games in history.

Jumped off the couch screaming for joy when Bassy kicked the winner & the whole family went off.

Looking forward to a summary for those that we're lucky enough to be there.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Re: Final SA 14-7 Adel 13-12

Post by saintal on Sun May 01, 2016 8:25 pm

What a finish. One to savour..

Looked dead and buried 41 points down 10 minutes into the third term. The rest of the third was reasonable but South struggled to make a dent in the margin. The final term South ran the 'professionals' off their legs, streaming forward at every opportunity. A few late 'half chances' were squandered before big Bass received a free kick (I assume? as it didn't look like a mark) and slotted the match winner by mere inches over the defensive line. That was the only time South had led the contest.

Don't like to single out individuals after such a win, but really liked the games of Barnes, Hitchcock, Redigolo and Rose. Eddy also very good with half a dozen goals and he kept us in the contest early.

The Ravens appeared to play some bruise free footy at times in the final term and become fumbly. Until then they had looked too big and too good, particularly efficient when going forward.

Crowd wasn't too bad (by Noarlunga/Ravens standards), certainly bigger than the other couple of Ravens' games I've been to.

Security a little heavy handed after the siren unfortunately. Cant help but think if it was a game against a fellow SANFL club there wouldn't have been an issue.

Looking forward to the Legs.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 pm

My post from other SANFL sites :

well, well, well.......still in awe of what I have witnessed today.

We were pretty well gone with 41 points down in the 3rd quarter but I actually thought we were playing some decent footy.
The signs though ahead were looking like a 10 goal thrashing. The South boys just did not give up. Fierce, desperate and determined to the end. This game is up there with one of the most incredible wins I have ever witnessed by the club (since Darren Harris's 1984 goal after the siren over Port).

Hard to pick a best for us as all players did there bit......mentions to Cailetto, Barnes, Eddy and Rose.

I think it was when we were 3 goals down in the last quarter I thought we were on to something here !!! Crows are such a imposing side - physically. Big huge bodies, fit and very slick with skills. Their down fall is they go the absolute $hit when they are challenged with pressure and by a physical contest. They fumbled and absolutely hated the South fury we unleashed on them !!!!! We were brutal with our attack on the footy.

One highlight was after the siren sounded. South supporters high fiving, hugging and being so happy. (never seen Noarlunga so crazy like that) We know there is not many of us but bloody hell we are some of the most passionate supporters out there. I think we were all a bit shell shocked we won !!!

Last word - one of the most disappointing things about the game was when I attempted to go into the South change rooms to sing the club song. I was refused by Welso security (who had his arms held out wide stopping supporters entering) I explained I am just going in the South change rooms. Welso security explained that he has been instructed not to let anyone enter. I explained I go in every week but got told the Crows coaching staff instructed no people to come though at all. What a bloody disgrace......and you have to wonder why we seen 2 rules made. One for AFL sides and the other for the 8 SANFL sides. Absolute joke!!!!
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Great win! Tears in my eyes for 40 mins after siren. Only a premiership would beat that thrill! All supporters join the club and enjoy the ride! Go Panthers!!!
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Mon May 02, 2016 10:55 am

I was e-mailed this summary, how true it is! Thanks John - Ben Haren’s dad!

Subject: Footy was the winner

It was a match that was made for the grassroots footy lovers The unheralded local community team that has had such little impact on the SANFL since 1964 against the might of recent arrivals. A coach who took the job on because he loves footy and loves what footy can do in a community. It's too early to overstate what might be possible but for long suffering South fans it was a case of unleashing unbridled emotion at the outcome of such an unlikely finish. 35 points down at 3 quarter time and kicking into whatever breeze there was it was lay down misere against a super-fit team that had crushed its opponents in last quarters. But the team responded playing with confidence that had been missing in the first 3 quarters. At the 11th hour a former basketballer not renowned for his kicking (but taught by the Power) steps up to the plate and slots a goal from 45 metres in what would be the last kick of the day. South are in front for the first time in the match. The players rush together as one to celebrate the goal, the modest Noarlunga stand erupts. Just as importantly, despite the emotion of the moment, the players know what they have to do - they rush back into defence. The crowd resumes its seats. Bass contests the centre bounce, siren sounds, game over - unbridled emotion resumes on the field and in the stands. Great footy moment!

John Haren
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Well said Ben Haren's Dad (and what a game his son played!) a win for the ages, for the true believers, for those South supporters who year after year turn up and, like our team, never give up. I wept tears of joy for our much maligned club, for the players, the supporters and 140 years of survival. Survival against merging, bankruptcy, SANFL administrators and at times a hostile media. This was a win that reminds us it's all worthwhile and that maybe the humble will inherit the earth.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 pm

Yep, I havent come down to earth yet, but like the players I need to, as we have a big one v the latte lappers this Saturday. It would be nice to give Duggas mob a touch up and send a message to him, that its time to come home Ben, it was a nice holiday but its time to come home.
A really great win-one for the true believers and long suffering supporters of this proud club.
We did not have one passenger, even though we fumbled and coughed up the ball regularly in the first half you could not question for one minute the players commitment. When all seemed lost halfway through the third quarter ,you could sense the boys kicked into gear, took the game on and backed themselves in. At 3/4 time we were still 35 pts down, and I for one felt if we could kick the first couple it was game on.We did and it was.
I thought Crabby and Big Al down back were exceptional for us- undersized against the Crows behomoths they battled manfully, brought the ball to ground and used their legspeed to advantage. Daniel and Tarak were first class- not sure if Tarak ever gets beaten in a one on one, and he showed a lot of courage coming back after receiving 12 stitches in his ear at half time. Darth Veide and E-man were great , E-mans first half was not his best but he backed himself in the last half and showed us why hes improved so much this year. I also thought Alfie Hitchcock and Rigby Barnes were cool and calm and showed poise under pressure, a nice quality to have with tough games ahead. Eddy finished off the good work down field with 6.2 with some sensational kicking from range and Haren and Sam Overall had their moments when required. Bassy, well what can you say...rucked most of the day, went down with cramp a couple of times, gets a free kick 45m out with virtually no time on the clock, goes back and slots it. Cool and calm under pressure....game over.

Bring on next week!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by scott on Thu May 05, 2016 12:06 am

Absolutely gutted to miss this (had to be at Unley Oval on Sunday for other reasons).

But what a thrilling, amazing win. Watched the last quarter replay online and we just didn't miss a target, ran and carried with freedom and purpose. Adelaide seriously had no answers in the last term. However, for Ramsey to amazingly not score from 40 out on a slight angle with only minutes remaining was incredible.

I know a lot of people don't want the Crows to be in the comp, but this is what made it all the more sweeter.
scott

Back to top Go down

Post by UKPanther on Thu May 05, 2016 6:36 pm

This was my first game (in the flesh) for about 5 years - I was visiting family in Adelaide for two weeks and this was the only South game I could see. I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to playing Adelaide. I was (and still am) opposed to them being in the competition and I felt like they might dominate us, like they had against other teams this year. For 3 quarters this seemed to be the case - I thought I was witnessing the death of the SANFL (Maybe I was but it feels different when you get over the line!).

For the first three quarters I couldn't question the commitment of the players, it was first rate, we just seemed to be outclassed by stronger, fitter and more skilful players. I told the friends and family I was watching the game with that if we did make the grand final this year and we were going to play Adelaide then I probably wouldn't make the trip back from the UK (I have since changed my mind although I still don't want them to even get near the GF!).

The last quarter though was extraordinary. I'm still not quite sure how we managed to win the game despite watching the whole last quarter again. It is clear we probably took the Crows on more and tried to be more direct which helped but I did start to wonder whether the difference was that the game meant something to us and for the Crows there was a level of indifference or perhaps complacency. Either way I wasn't complaining - it was a brilliant comeback against a very good side and is without doubt the best comeback I have witnessed in my 30 years of following South. When Bass kicked that final goal it was a great feeling, only bettered by the final siren going 3 seconds after the re-start.

I thought Barnes was exceptional and was well supported by Eddy, Hitchcock and Rankine although pretty much everyone contributed at some point. I thought Irra and Overall stood up in the last quarter which was great as well. Lots of positives to take from the match and the next game against Norwood will be a big test to make sure we keep the momentum going.

I watched the whole reserves match and could see from the first bounce that we came to play. I was really impressed by Brown, Darrou and Trembath in particular. I knew the Eagles hadn't lost in a while, didn't know it was 2 years though. It was an exceptional last quarter after being challenged in the third. Gotchy gave the reserves a lot of credit in the after match presentations and I agreed with everything he said. They are going about their business well and are keeping pressure on the seniors with those sorts of performances.

On the rule changes, I didn't mind the out of bounds rule - I thought I would hate it and whilst we got burned by it a few times I felt that it worked quite well. As for holding the ball, what is the interpretation these days? The Crows in the first half seemed to have an eternity to get rid of the thing - it changed a bit in the second half but in the reserves they were much hotter on it. I found it a bit inconsistent but perhaps that's the way it always has been!

Anyway, it was great to be back for a game and such a good one too. Hopefully I'll have to book a flight in September :-)

UKPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Great post UKP. Spot on in every department.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Sat May 07, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks for the posts on the great game. I couldn't be there unfortunately but I have seen some bits on the internet.
Initially I wasn't going to attend games against the interlopers but its probably better to support your club against their hardest test.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum