6 Wins 2 Losses Performance So Far

View previous topic View next topic Go down

6 Wins 2 Losses Performance So Far

Post by Premier Panther on Mon May 23, 2016 9:44 pm

After coming off a disappointing loss to Port, I'd be interested to hear views, thoughts as to how we are positioned & our performance to this point.

If you'd ask me at the start of the season we'd be 6-2, I'd take it any day.

I guess the areas of concern for me is our last two performances, & the convincing manner in which the opposition has won.

Acknowledge we have been impacted by player suspension & injury, however now in hindsight did we overrate our depth? Key players seem to be down on form & almost flat.

Think Gotchy summed it up perfectly, somehow we need to regain that spark we had the first 6 rounds.

Obviously the return of key personnel will help, & it is still very much early in the season.

Perfect timing with the state game, other than 3 of the team selected, opportunity to freshen up & get back on track against North at home, which looms now as a crucial game.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Re: 6 Wins 2 Losses Performance So Far

Post by Panther74 on Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Few concerns about the last 2 losses that worry me.

(1) Players down on form.
(2) Players look flat and tired.
(3) Killed in the midfield quite convincingly.
(4) Over use of the ball.
(5) Lack of fight and desire.

I am like you PP, I would take the 6-2 win loss ratio at the start of the year but the last 2 games have been some of the worst losses I have seen in a while (not used to it now!) Especially the Port loss yesterday.  I thought we were pretty woeful at times of that game.

Positives are Bassy and Crabby will be back adding to the structure of the team. I feel we need more hunger and fight in us.  It is not just going to happen unless the effort is there like the first 6 games.

Definitely a few players lacking in confidence at the moment. (some players having real stinkers)
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Well said guys. Would take 6-2, but the last few weeks have been deflating and concerning.

Forward line has looked more potent this year after a poor 2015, with Haren becoming a more consistent performer, while young Overall has also shown improvement despite being dropped. Eddy no doubt has appreciated the support. Guys like Barnes, Hitchcock and Rankine have been handy as the 'outside' smalls.

Mids have been good for the most part, but slaughtered the past few weeks. Schwarz the surprise packet so far. Irra has been missed. Bass, while generally well beaten in the hit-outs, has been good with this 'grunt work'. Some extra leg speed and penetrating disposal is needed though.

Backline has again been solid, however with Crabb, Daniel and De Visser all missing on Saturday they were cut apart. Really enjoy watching Redigolo play his footy.

Pleasing to see the 'twos' winning some games, while the 18s have been much more competitive and have been in winning positions in a few games.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Tue May 24, 2016 11:24 am

I think sometimes we forget how tough this comp is, apart from Westies all clubs are now up an about, anyone can beat anyone. I think we got under the guard of clubs early and playing 5 games at home may have given us a false sense of inevitable victory. We have a good side but if not mentally focused for each game we will lose, i think that aspect needs to be switched back on.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue May 24, 2016 5:10 pm

I agree with much of the above...
At the start of the year Id have taken 6-2 every time, but our last fortnight has been pretty ordinary . Injury and suspensions havent helped but our willingness to win the footy and apply pressure to the opposition which was so evident in the first 6 weeks has dried up.
The break this week couldnt have come at a better time. We need to hit the re-start button after we have stalled because with such a good start there is so much to play for in the next few months. I think our inability to secure a good back up ruckman and a hard inside midfielder in the last couple of years is beginning to show.
I honestly believe that despite our much heralded midfield we have been belted on the inside by both Sturt and Port in the last few weeks. I think our lack of size and physicality in our midfield is often our achilles heel and the opposition exploit this,we really miss a hard a--ed brute in the engine room. Someone like an Aiden Riley that Sturt managed to lure in the off season. We are certainly missing Bass , not so much for his ruck work but his 2nd and 3rd efforts around the ground.
So far I think we've seen a big improvement in a few players, I like Schwarz and what he brings,Irra until he was injured, has gone to another level, Haren has also become more consistent and Caillotto has been good in defence too. we are certainly going to miss Tarak - who is gone for the season apparently..so there will be an opportunity for someone else. Some tough decisions to be made at the selection table next week, but they need to be made... We look like playing finals at the end of the year and the players that want to be there need to put their hands up..now.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Tue May 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Really great & insightful comments here....looks like we are all on the same page.

Just saw the news regarding Tarak.
My heart goes out to him & wishing him well with his rehab.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Tue May 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Yes, terrible news for Tarak. Great clubman who deserves a better run of luck. Will be missed.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Mon May 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Excellent points obviously we're all thinking the same way.
I am really disappointed for Tarak Redigolo, another mountain for him to climb' sincerely wish him the best of luck.
Hopefully the break will do us some good. Its a chance to re evaluate. Gotchy will be expecting all players to respond.
Well done to Crossy and Brett Eddy in the state game.
Strength at the ruck contests was missing without Bass, but I was surprised that we looked slow in the last 2 games.

B&W63

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum