Home Crowds this Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Home Crowds this Season

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:40 am

Does anyone know what our average home crowds have been this year?

Apart from the Good Friday game the crowds have felt smaller, I have especially noticed this in the car park at the club. In past seasons the car park would be full for quite a few games throughout the year however this year it seems more bare.

Is it simple a factor of less opposition supporters rocking up? It does feel like there are less coming to Noarlunga this year.

We are having a really good season but I'm not seeing anymore people get to our home games.

Just a thought but the maybe the club could look into a themed round for Juniors similar to what the SANFL is doing with the multicultural rounds. I know under 18's already get in for free but maybe for a Junior Round 1 parent for every child also gets in for free.

It could get more people to a game and try to promote the club to more young kids which isn't a bad thing.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Re: Home Crowds this Season

Post by saintal on Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:59 pm

2016 average- 1828
2015- 1688
2014- 2050

Last year's figures were hurt by the lack of Good Friday game (2016 average is a poor 1422 if you discard Good Friday). A few of the reported Noarlunga crowds this season have been lower than I would have estimated based on experience. Agree that it feels as though less opposition fans are making the trip.

As a comparison, in 2011 our average home crowd was 2283, and even when we were woeful in 2010 the average was 2249. Given the current sanfl climate it's hard to see those numbers being matched anytime soon.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:40 am

Some facts about  South supporter base:-
1  despite a 6-0 win start to season our average attendance was 1800 compared to West who had a 6-0 loss ratio and averaged 2100 per game.
2. Only 11 south members have attended all matches this season
3. The gala ball - the club's main fund raiser - has only 2 'standard' (non-Kingstonian member) members attending.
The club is desperate to find out how it can attract "locals" to the game. Any suggestions?
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:53 am

Can anybody confirm how many ‘paid up’ members the club has? Wouldn’t be many.

I’ve been to all matches bar Good Friday, good to see the electronic tickets actually being used to identify trends etc.

As for increasing crowds, no easy answer is there? Obviously winning 6 from 6 at home and playing a good brand of footy isn’t enough.

Crowds across the league are declining at a concerning rate.

The comp took a big hit with the inclusion of the reserve interlopers. The impact of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment can’t be underestimated (Crows averaged 33K and Port 27K in final year at FP, now averaging 49K and 41K respectively- people only have so much free time and money on a weekend). Lacklustre TV coverage, dwindling Advertiser content, and the demise of RPH radio's involvement (and to a lesser extent the cutting of a few regular sanfl segments/shows on 5AA) have made the league less accessible to the more ‘casual’ observer. The scheduling has been terrible and the SANFL, in my opinion, does a very mediocre job of promoting its product.  

I’m not familiar with our lighting situation following the fiasco last year, but I would like to see at least one, maybe two games programmed at evening next year. Although they didn’t necessarily draw a bigger crowd, they may expose new people to the club through a different timeslot. Could a game down at Encounter Bay/Strathalbyn, or maybe in our hills zone (Kangarilla/Macclesfield) spark a bit of interest?

Just have to keep working the schools/local clubs//shopping centres and hoping that this bares fruit.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Further to this apparently Channel 7 won't be continuing SANFL telecasts from next year. If that happens the future for not just our club but the comp is beginning to look pretty bleak.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Unless the SANFL clubs can do something akin to 20-20 Cricket ... the competition will be lucky to last 10 more years. Those of us who love local football, get a great deal of satisfaction out of this competition. Surely there is something that can spark greater interest among the locals ?
Panthers64

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Some good points being raised here. Shocked at how low the average attendance is considering how good a season we are having.

Don't know what the answer is to getting bigger crowds the boys are playing great footy, memberships are really well priced, under 18's get in for free.
One thing I do tend to notice is that at away games I often see supporters who I don't see at our home games. How do we get those people to our Home Games?

Just an idea but could we have a home game themed around celebrating the Southern Football League & Great Southern Football League and give every player in the league a free ticket to that home game?
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:31 am

Here is my 5c worth..
I would like to see some info on our membership but I suspect that by far the greatest proportion of our membership would be residing north of Darlington. Old die hards from the Adelaide Oval days.
After 20 + years at Noarlunga we have failed to engage with the Southern areas. I attribute this mainly to our lack of onfield success, all the world loves a winner and they will jump on a winner. Todays generation demands everything in an instant-now, not tomorrow.If we get success - they will come.

With regard to the blueandwhite ball, I for one would definitely be attending however I will be Overseas, but I guess Im rusted on after supporting the club for over 50 yrs.
However, at $94 per head, I think the cost is way out of reach of the average member or supporter. For example if i took my wife the cost would be $200, one of us would not be able to drink as we have a 27 km trip to get home- if I went by myself I would not be able to drink for the same reason; in both instances Id be throwing money away. Some would say it would be a donation to the club, and thats fair enough but as I mentioned earlier there is no way the average supporter could afford it.

blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum