2011 season

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2011 season

Post by Choaty on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Thought rather than adding to the 'season over' thread, to coincide with pre season starting this week, we should have a 2011 season thread. All need something to look forward to!

The club have posted their first signings for the 2011 season, all in the coaches box:

http://www.safc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108:safc-appoints-reserves-coach&catid=1:panther-news&Itemid=10

A couple of disappointing departures from the squad (Lee Schmidt for one whom I thought was a great forward pocket player had he have got his body right), but also leaves room for some exciting recruits to come through.

5 months to go.... Sad
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Re: 2011 season

Post by Ben W on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Woodville West Torrens seem to be pretty well represented in the Coaching Staff of the club! - Who knows where that influence would have come from! Very Happy
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Without sticking a knife in, hasn't Reardon been re-cycled through the club once before?
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:40 am

Hey guy's, i don't see Ben Holland's name on the list (ex West Adelaide ) will he still be involved down at South?
Admin

http://panthers.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 am

Firstblood wrote:Hey guy's, i don't see Ben Holland's name on the list (ex West Adelaide ) will he still be involved down at South?

Off to Albury FB...

Assistant Coach departs for new opportunity

The South Adelaide Football Club advises that Assistant Coach Ben Hollands has accepted a position as Coach of the Wodonga Bulldogs in the Ovens & Murray Football League.

A new business opportunity has necessitated Ben and his family’s move back to Albury, and he was this week appointed to the role at Wodonga.

After being a decorated player at West Adelaide Ben joined the Panthers last year as midfield coach and continued in that role this season.

“While we haven’t had the results we’d like I’ve enjoyed my time at South and really topped off my understanding of the game the past two years,” said Hollands.

“There’s no doubting the Club is on the right track and now has a bunch of young dedicated players that will only improve with continued hard work.”

“I definitely would have continued my involvement but have a great opportunity with my work and it’s just been fortunate that the coaching role also came up at my former club.”

The South Adelaide Football Club thanks Ben for his contribution over the past two seasons and wishes him and his family all the best for the future.

Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Handby a rooster.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks Choaty...so he's gone home? I think he was originally from that area. Good luck to him, nice bloke.
Admin

http://panthers.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Yep FB he has gone home, he was a good player for Westies over the years, he has a good footy brain and getting the job at Wodonga will be good for him, I'm sure Ben will be missed by the players

PP
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Anyone hearing anything? There's a bit going on at other clubs. Not all of which is good. Not sure if it is a good or bad thing we are hearing nothing.
I assume the boys are back training now. Are there any new faces?

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Great work by the club!!!

Quality recruits right there. I hope we can get a few more Very Happy

Great to see Cocky, Lids, Murph etc....sign till 2012.

Im excited!!!! Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Panther74 wrote:

Great work by the club!!!

Quality recruits right there. I hope we can get a few more Very Happy

Great to see Cocky, Lids, Murph etc....sign till 2012.

Im excited!!!! Wink

with ya - best news I've heard since we signed Ronny. cheers

By sounds of it, might be more to come? God knows we were thin last year, so they're all welcome!

Trying not to get too excited! afro
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Yep - great news from the club!
Looks like I'll need to turn my despise around for Stribling though Laughing
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 pm

A good start. Hopefully a couple more to come. We still need a couple of additional talls Cool

Wundke will be interesting. Is 50+ goals asking too much?

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Staying in the theme of 'things to look forward to in 2011', spoke with the club today who confirmed members scarves WILL BE LONGER next season!!!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Choaty wrote:Staying in the theme of 'things to look forward to in 2011', spoke with the club today who confirmed members scarves WILL BE LONGER next season!!!

Very Happy

Thank GOD for that!!! Least they will fit and keep you warm for the night games Wink
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Choaty wrote:Staying in the theme of 'things to look forward to in 2011', spoke with the club today who confirmed members scarves WILL BE LONGER next season!!!

bounce
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Premiership Player joins Panthers Board

Tony Shaw has joined the Panthers Board in accordance with the Constitutional amendments approved last year. He has been co-opted as a director by resolution of the Board. It is by way of a return to this role given that Tony was Players Representative on the Club’s Committee (as it was then known) during the Kerley era in the 1960s. Tony Shaw is a life member of the Panthers and a member of the illustrious 1964 premiership team. In fact, he has been the prime mover in maintaining the focus of the players and officials from those days who regularly meet to maintain and celebrate their shared Panther heritage.

Following his retirement from league football from South Adelaide, Tony Shaw moved to Darwin where he was a player, coach and long time football administrator. His contribution to the Northern Territory Football League was recognized last year when Tony was inducted into its inaugural Hall of Fame (along with the great Tiwi Islander David Kantilla who he knew so well – beloved by Tony and so many at South Adelaide). As a past player, footballer administrator and life member, Tony has a lot to offer the Club. He relocates from Darwin to Adelaide in January 2011 because he has “some unfinished business to do at South Adelaide”. All of us know what that is – another Premiership.

Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 am

Ron Fuller Keeps It Real

RON Fuller has only been coach of South Adelaide for about 15 months but has already learnt not to make bold pre-season predictions.
It's best not to raise the hopes of a fan base that has suffered through four straight bottom-two finishes - including the past two wooden spoons - and saw the Panthers lose their final 16 games last season.

All Fuller is focused on in the second season of his five-year deal at Noarlunga is seeing continued improvement from his young list.

This is despite his awareness of a strategic plan released by the club before his arrival, which demanded finals football no later than 2011.

``I understand the reasons behind the strategic plan - you've got to have things to aim for,'' Fuller said.

``But I haven't put a lot of emphasis on it. There are certainly no limitations to what we can achieve this year but all I want is for us to continually improve.

``Whether that means we play finals or not remains to be seen, and you can't really know yet because you don't know how much the other teams will improve or drop off.''

Fuller expects the improvement at his club to come from the addition of strong-bodied midfielders Toby Stribling (North Adelaide) and Nathan Daniel (Eagles).

The duo has been brought in to do the grunt work for pacy, skilled quartet Nick Liddle, Guy O'Keefe, Andrew Horne and Xavier Gotch, who shone last year but struggled against veteran sides.

Michael Wundke has also made the move from Prospect and is Fuller's man to replace former skipper Ben Warren at full forward.

``He's surprised a few people,'' Fuller said.

``He didn't play a lot of footy but he's won two VFL premierships and was saying the other day this is the best he's felt for a long time.''

The rest of South's signings are expected to push for league selection at varying times during the season but aren't walk-up starts to the senior side.

But Fuller sees big-bodied defenders Josh Thewlis, Mitch Sandery and Daniel Talia - depending on Crows commitments - as virtual new recruits given how much time they missed with injury in 2010.

Ruckman Adam Cockshell has stripped 9kg from his frame since pre-season began in November and is being earmarked for centre half forward, if Power rookie Daniel Bass proves he can hold down the ruck.

The only negatives at this point have been long-term injuries to youngsters Jacob Crate and James Turner and the unexplained departure of Kenn Campbell.

Fuller needs to find a new captain and is auditioning Liddle, Horne, Gotch, Brad Crabb and Nick Murphy for the role.

The Panthers are also pumped about the introduction of night footy at Noarlunga, which Fuller is predicting will result in better quality football because of the way the wind drops at night[b]
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 am

Anybody know the story behind Campbell?

Bit of a shock given he did pretty well at the afl draft camp from memory. Thought he may have given it another season.

Showed a bit of potential last year, just needed to tidy up disposal.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm

I was surprised Campbell bailed! I thought he looked very promising, and with some improvement would have been very handy in a forward pocket. I imagine he would have been the quickest player in our squad!
Dont know what happened but I hope he re thinks his move and comes back (assuming he is welcome!)

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

panther magic wrote:I was surprised Campbell bailed! I thought he looked very promising, and with some improvement would have been very handy in a forward pocket. I imagine he would have been the quickest player in our squad!
Dont know what happened but I hope he re thinks his move and comes back (assuming he is welcome!)

Must say, I was shocked to hear this.....are the club going to give a reason to his departure??? Shocked
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:47 am

Panther74 wrote:
panther magic wrote:I was surprised Campbell bailed! I thought he looked very promising, and with some improvement would have been very handy in a forward pocket. I imagine he would have been the quickest player in our squad!

Must say, I was shocked to hear this.....are the club going to give a reason to his departure??? Shocked

from what I understand, they would like to be able to at least have an understanding, but he has been uncontactable since his departure. Sad
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 pm

well that tells us he has lost his passion to play League football, so be it, they come, they go.

We are still hear.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by pantherfromwayback on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Campbell has moved to Port Lincoln to play with his brother
pantherfromwayback

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum