R19 V Sturt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

R19 V Sturt

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:02 pm

This game, possibly our biggest to date this season sees us at home v Sturt. A win here could see us push for 2nd spot or even better first if results go our way.
Personally i feel Sturt struggle on the bigger decks- belted by the Eagles at Woodville on the weekend and a couple of weeks ago  very lucky to get a win over the dogs at the Ponderosa. If this is the case the vast acreage at Hickinbotham wont suit them- good! -because we owe them big time after the soundly defeated us - albeit with a few key players out, at the Unley Primary School/ dog park earlier in the year. We're undefeated at home this year and I think we'd like to keep the winning record going.
Sturt have improved in 2016 - the addition of 4 guys straight off AFL lists has helped quite a bit...I wonder how sanfl clubs can afford to this..?..they must employ the same accountants as the Eagles...
Anyway I think  the run against the witches hats at Richmond helped a few of our guys get their hands on the footy and back into form, pretty handy at this time of year. I think our midfield is white hot atm with Secull,Cross and Liddle getting plenty of it. I wonder if Gotchy may be tempted to drag Darth in from the wing to shadow his old sparring partner Kirkwood this week..? perhaps wait until the finals maybe??? Eddy if he has space and reasonable delivery will carve up any opposition just need a bit more consistency from Overall and co to back him up a bit. There are a few in the 2s doing well so there is plenty of pressure on those at league level to perform..not a good time to be dropped at this time of year with finals around the corner.!!!!
Time to get excited too... my personal opinion for what its worth is...on our day we are good enough to beat anyone, and I think with the double chance we can have a real crack in the finals and hopefully break the 52 year drought.
Get to Hickinbotham and get behind the boys for the rest of the year, this is our best year for ages , its time to make the best of it.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Re: R19 V Sturt

Post by darley16 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 am

Agree B&W in the fickle world of football when your time comes you've got to grab it and enjoy it and i'am enjoying our season thus far. Get to every game, make some noise get out to the quarter time huddles and cheer on our lads. They deserve our best so they can be their best.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 pm

South 16.6 easily accounted for Sturt 7.11

Goal Kickers: B. Haren 3, C. Hitchcock 3, B. Eddy 2, J. Mc Mahon 2, J. Cross, T. Fields, M. Rankine, D. Bass, R. Barnes, A. Gulden
Best Players: T. Fields, T. Brown, R. Newell, B. Seccull, J. Cross, A. Gulden

Really good win, albeit against an opposition missing a few key men. Slammed on the opening four goals inside 7 minutes and were never headed. Sturt had their moments but South's strong opening to the third term put the result beyond doubt.

A case of all played well. Really liked Brown's game, and it was good to see Haren play well in his first senior game in 5 or 6 weeks. Hitchcock was missed during the team's recent flat patch.

Beard, as he usually does against South, presented very well and booted 4. Evans was Sturt's only other goal-kicker, a rather damning stat. Although perhaps fittingly there isn't much of him, young Slimming showed a bit.

Crowd had to be 2000+. One of the better Noarlunga crowds in recent years, lots of Sturt supporters on the hill and a much better turn-out of South supporters than usual.

An enjoyable day!

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Fantastic Day.....Fantastic Win!
Really pleased with the eveness of the playing group & contributions, to be point that we are surely now a true contender.
Noarlunga is now the fortress that it should be, feel we are again starting to gain momentum & pick up form at the business end of the season.
On the crowd I did overhear a SAFC official mention the scanning ticketing system was not working (?)
It's hard to get excited....hopefully all supporters jump on board.
Well Done on your assessment of the game Saintal.
Now to the Roosters.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:57 pm

I meant to say 'It's hard not to get excited', believe you me, this Southie is finding it hard keeping the lid on!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:21 am

We will meet Sturt in the finals and with 4 of their best missing yesterday they will be a different side from yesterday. However thought it was our best 4 quarter game all year and that is saying something as this side has played some wonderful footy throughout the season. Fantastic to know we've got top3 secured with 2 games to play.
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Great game - we came out of the blocks early and made a statement.

Fields had a near perfect game - pin point kicks. Newell played best game for us since coming over from Westies this year. Seccull, Liddle, Gulden all were fantastic. One player I think has really taken the next step up is Tyson Brown. Loving the way he attacks the footy and moves it.

Great feeling around the club at the moment. Watching the players walk off the field yesterday there was not a big reaction of joy or adulation - there is still plenty of work to be done.

Great to get that double chance in finals though Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum