SF v the Ravens

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SF v the Ravens

Post by saintal on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:40 pm

SOUTH ADELAIDE
Mystery surrounds who South Adelaide coach Brad Gotch will include to face Adelaide in the First Semi-Final at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.
Needing to replace unlucky utility Tyson Brown who will miss the rest of the finals campaign with a hamstring strain, Gotch has included three potential replacements in his 23-man squad.
The most obvious choice is speedy half-back Emmanuel Irra, who not only provides valuable leg speed but is also in strong form having gained 21 disposals in the Reserves Elimination Final.
But Gotch has also called upon experienced utility Nathan Daniel, who collected 20 disposals in the Reserves but also provides great flexibility.
Originally from Woodville-West Torrens, Daniel has played 131 League matches but has not appeared in the Panthers’ best 21 since Round 8.
Adelaide’s multitude of tall, marking forwards has also prompted the naming of forgotten key defender Alex Cailotto.
Cailotto played the Panthers’ first nine League matches of the season but has not played under Gotch since Round 10.

F: Seccull, Eddy, Gotch
HF: Hitchcock, Overall, Barnes
C: Schwarz, Newell, Rankine
HB: Taylor, Fields, Gulden
B: Rose, Crabb, Durdin

R: Bass, Cross, Liddle
INT: Ellison, Daniel, Irra, Cailotto, McMahon
IN: Irra, Daniel, Cailotto
OUT: Brown (hamstring)

ADELAIDE
Adelaide’s leg speed has received a significant boost with Paul Seedsman and Ricky Henderson included for Sunday’s First Semi-Final against South at Adelaide Oval.
Seedsman has recovered from a corked buttock while Henderson is the unlucky player to make way at AFL level for the returning Brodie Smith.
Under the SANFL’s qualification laws, both players will be deemed ineligible should Adelaide’s AFL team lose to North Melbourne in Saturday night’s Elimination Final.
Key defender Alex Keath has recovered from a back injury while Luke Lowden has overcome an ankle ailment which kept him out of the Crows’ 72-point win against Central District last Saturday.
Two development players have been squeezed out of the 23-man line-up – Dylan Schoenmakers and Scott Spriggs.

F: Beech, Dear, Menzel
HF: Knight, Lowden, Milera
C: Seedsman, Grigg, Wigg
HB: van Berlo, Hampton, Henderson
B: Doedee, Otten, Kelly

R: O’Brien, Ellis-Yolmen, Gore
INT: Ramsey, Carey, Keath, Hunter, Greenwood
IN: Seedsman, Lowden, Keath, Henderson
OUT: Spriggs, Schoenmakers

Notable Ins/Outs from the clash two weeks ago, if the sides stay as selected:

South In: None, Out: Haren, Brown
Ravens In: Ellis-Yolmen, Henderson, Lowden, van Berlo, Seedsman, Keath Out: None

saintal

Back to top Go down

Re: SF v the Ravens

Post by Panther Pack on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Those Ins are huge for Adelaide, we could be in trouble.

I really hope we win our year has been too good to go out in straight sets and to be knocked out by AFL reserves team would absolutely gut me.

Been supporting the club for 20 years and a member for 8 of those years, this has been our best year in that time and I really want to go deeper into the finals.

Hope we can.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:49 am

I am hopeful....but not confident....those are pretty significant ins.

It would be a cruel twist of fate if knocked out of our finals campaign again by an AFL Reserves Team (2014 still hurts)

Sadly also the flood of season ending injuries hit at the wrong time of the year.

Not withstanding that, I will be there drawing every last breath & voice to get the boys over the line....am sure they will do us all proud.

It's all or nothing now....
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:02 pm

There are a variety of emotions I feel tonight.

Devastation, Despair, Betrayal & Concern.

I'm proud of the boys effort's during the season & today against the odds.

Well done to the Club, Gotchy the coaching staff & players on their year.

What could have been....What of our future & the future of the Competition?
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Well said PP.

Last week it was a feeling of disappointing at blowing a golden opportunity. Tonight the range of emotions is far broader.

Felt numb watching the second half. That wasn't what a sporting contest should represent. When it 'clicks' for a reserves team and everything is in their favour with injuries and form, SANFL clubs will battle to match it, especially with a few injuries of their own.

The 'football gods' dont seem to care much for South.

The drought goes on..

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Andos Mullett on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:55 pm

If we are ever going to win another premiership we're going to have to beat the AFL team when they are at their strongest. The two AFL teams are here to stay like it or not. We can't blame the AFL teams for our poor performance against Strut can we? Simply we were not good enough when it counted. We have improved but there is still plenty of work to do before we are a regular finals competitor.

Andos Mullett

Back to top Go down

Post by lappy on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Dissapointed but not surprised with result 21 afl listed players playing a team of part time footballers I know a lot of South Adelaide and Centralls supporters will be hoping the Ravens go all the way as we are the only two clubs said no to afl in sanfl so i hope sturt and eagles get flogged im sure they will, if they face the same team today that we played against, AS a long time supporter and member for more than 50 years Im really worried about our future we have allways relied on hevlly on recruits we would have had a lot of recruits in this team today, going forward with restrctions and sallery cap IM pretty sure with our debt recruiting players is going to be very hard I believe we have the best coach in the SANFL but he needs good cattle I WORRY ABOUT TODAYS RESULT WHETHER WE CAN KEEP ALL OUR INTERSTATE RECRUITS
lappy

Back to top Go down

Post by panther67 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 am

The second half was very hard to watch.
The first quarter was very good.

At half time I renewed my membership as it was quite an enjoyable season going to games expecting to win instead of going hoping that we did ok.

I hope that we can keep our group together.

The AFL teams are of a concern, we voted NO but seem to be taking the high road. It will be interesting to see how far the Ravens go.

panther67

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:06 am

Very proud of our team and our club. The same cannot be said about the administration of the SANFL. The AFL reserves can be fixed to ensure a more level playing field by restricting their maximum players to 15-16, it's simple and MUST happen to ensure the future of the comp. If the current arrangement remains unchanged support will drop off and with it clubs will fold. Twice our club robbed in finals by 19 AFL Power players in 2014 and 21 AFL Crows players in 2016. I weep for my club and the future for the SANFL.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 am

I had the night to reflect on "what could of been".

Flat as anything today.

We were always going to be pushing "it" uphill no matter how much it was sugar coated with its 21 players versus 21 players.  They were full time professional football players.....we are not.  

Thought our first quarter was really good.  The hunger and attack on the footy was there and I thought "we were switched on" from there it went all downhill at a rapid rate.  We made alot of skill errors and to be honest i thought some players let other players down and the supporters.  Some players were given a chance and did not take it either - harsh I know but if we are to go forward we need everyone on the same page and have the hunger to be out there.  I am sure Gotchy will do an assessment on each player to see were they are at.

Breaks my heart that once again we have been denied success by the 2 AFL ressies sides.  I spoke to a few South supporters yesterday at pressos and i am hearing some will be walking away due to the unfairness of a farcical competition.  The SANFL is in serious trouble in the next few years and it will be hard for clubs to survive.  It is not looking good.
I don't think the SANFL are listening to any concerns as really they are puppets to the AFL's needs.

You could see some of the players hurting at pressos yesterday.  Crossy was near to tears.  One thing that got to me was seeing too many happy faces and laughter at pressos.  I was not smiling or laughing.  This one hurt like hell .....

Something needs to change or the club (and other clubs) are in real trouble !!!!
Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Hasnt been a great 24 hrs for the rusted on Southies has it..
Ive had a bit of time to reflect on the last 2 weeks, indeed the whole season.
If you look back on our year, you would have to say that victory in all 10 home games was a great achievement, and was the principal reason we finished the year in 3rd position with the double chance. What has happened since then has been a very bitter pill to swallow after so much promise ; but we are made of pretty tough stuff us southies...we're bloody tough, I mean who in their right mind would continue to support a club that over 50 yrs has really only threatened to win it all a handfull of times.? most people would have walked!
Its a very important time at our club though, a number of people have suggested to me , that we need this and we need that; but the truth is first we need to hang on to what we've got! You could see the pangs of disappointment in the players eyes post game on Sunday, and while no doubt some of them will butter up again for pre-season , for some the disappointment and the frequency of it maybe too much, and they may shift to greener pastures.
Injuries once again have played a critical role in our demise , the likes of Redigolo,Veide, Haren and Rolfe would have been more than handy on Sunday. I thought our effort on Sunday was far better than our previous loss to Sturt. Our opposition on Sunday was far superior to Sturt and given the same team Id suspect the Crows will make short work of Sturt this week.
Im a great believer in this theory....I label our list 1-21 in terms of ability and the oppositions as well....when the going gets tough...in the heat of battle...when everyones under pressure  ..you need to have your worst 6 players to be contributing more than the opposition.
In the 2 finals games I thought our good players played pretty well......at least the equivalent of the opposition. However Im not sure I could say that about our bottom six..

I think Brad Gotch is the best thing that has happened to this club since 1964. He is a very,very good coach and also a decent human being. He has taken a lot of our players who were seemingly lost in the wilderness before his arrival and turned them into very solid SANFL players. The club needs to scour the SFL and the GSFL with a fine tooth comb and find committed young men (not easy) who want to have a go at being a league footballer, and encourage them to get to Hickinbotham Oval.

As for the AFL reserves sides in the sanfl......dont start me, or I'll rant forever Evil or Very Mad
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum